Windows 10: Question About Feature Update Version 1709

Discus and support Question About Feature Update Version 1709 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I just noticed there's an update waiting for me to put in a time for it to be installed. It's the Feature Update Version 1709 for Windows 10. Is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Bigfoot, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Bigfoot Win User

Question About Feature Update Version 1709

I just noticed there's an update waiting for me to put in a time for it to be installed. It's the Feature Update Version 1709 for Windows 10.

Is this a mandatory update, do I need it for security? I do very simple things on my computer and don't necessarily want anything more loaded if I don't need it.

:)

Bigfoot, Nov 5, 2017

2. Feature update to Windows 10 Version 1709

I'm having trouble downloading & installing the 1709 update. It either downloads, but doesn't install. (stops at about 90% completion) or the download itself stops completely. I've tried several times, to no avail. I'm on an Acer Aspire laptop, running
    Windows 10 (Version 1703) The error messages are as follows: Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 - Error 0x80244018.

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 - Error 0x80070020.

and error

(0x8024a105). I'm having trouble downloading & installing the 1709 update. It either downloads, but doesn't install. (stops at about 90% completion) or the download itself stops completely. I've tried several times, to no avail. I'm on an Acer Aspire laptop,
    running Windows 10 (Version 1703) The error messages are as follows: Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 - Error 0x80244018.

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 - Error 0x80070020.

and error

(0x8024a105).

Johan Sampe, Nov 5, 2017
  3. David Haz Win User
    Windows 10 feature update version 1709

Hi Max,

Feature updates to Windows 10 would notify you as soon as it is available for your computer. With that note, Windows 10 version 1709 is the Fall Creators Update, which is the latest version of Windows 10. Since Windows 10 is a service, it would get better
    through periodic software updates, and new features for Windows 10 would be installed by means of feature updates.

If you have further questions about Windows 10, feel free to ask us.

David Haz, Nov 5, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

That's the next major build - every 6 months or so MS release one, with updates in between.

If you have Pro upwards (not Home) you can defer upgrades for up to a year, I think. Otherwise you would have to disable updates altogether.

Recommended- use disk imaging routinely and update your image (or create one) before any major change like upgrading e.g. Macrium Reflect (free).

dalchina, Nov 5, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    In Pro up to 1607 you could choose to 'Defer upgrades', in Creators Update (1703) this was revised as choosing between the 'Current Branch' and the 'Current Branch for Business', and in Fall Creators Update (1709) the choice becomes 'Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted)' or 'Semi-Annual Channel'. In all cases the effect is the same. Either get the next version of Windows as soon as it's released, or stay one step behind and don't get this one until the next is released. In addition, 1703 added a further 365 days you could delay the upgrade (in Pro).

All the above is academic now, even if @Bigfoot has Pro. What could be deferred was the start of downloading the update. If it's asking for a time for it to be installed the download has finished, all the setup files are already on the PC and poised to upgrade to the Fall Creators Update.

As the name 'Semi-Annual...' implies, an updated version of Windows 10 will be released every six months from now on. This is what Microsoft call 'Windows as a Service'. Apparently from now on we are to see our operating systems gradually evolve, rather than the culture-shock of a jump like Windows 7 to Windows 8. This is our future, and we'll just have to get used to it *Sad

The upgrade takes from 1 to 4 hours, depending on the machine (and no, it's not the processor speed that determines this, apparently some system configurations just take longer). To be honest, there is little difference to see between 1703 and 1709. Some more settings have migrated to the Settings app (notably all Cortana's settings). Bar that, most of the changes are under the surface.

Bree, Nov 5, 2017
  6. Bigfoot Win User
    I agreed to install the Creator's Update a long time ago, is this just and upgrade to that? Is 1709 the Creator's Update number? Sorry, if it is I didn't recognize it. I doubt that I have Pro, probably Home.

Bigfoot, Nov 5, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    1709 is the Fall Creators Update, released on October 17th.

Bree, Nov 5, 2017
  8. Bigfoot Win User

Thanks, I'll just set the update to load tonight and leave my computer on.

Bigfoot, Nov 5, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    You're welcome. Run Winver in the morning, it should say version 1709, os build 16299.19 if the update to Fall Creators Update has gone well.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Question About Feature Update Version 1709 - Similar Threads - Question Feature Update

2. Question About the New Feature Update (1909)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question About the New Feature Update (1909): [ATTACH] So, my PC managed to successfully update to Windows feature update 1909 (at least, that's what the update history said), but I noticed a couple of things and I just want to find clarifications. First is that I do not see any windows.old folder in my C drive....
  3. Questions about windows features

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Questions about windows features: I have a few questions about windows features. What is ready boost and how does it work? What would happen if I have to replace the device that I am using for ready boost? Does windows warn me if a device I am using for ready boost is about to fail? Does windows warn me...
  4. Questions about doing Feature Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Questions about doing Feature Updates: I have Windows 10 Home (version 1803) and have questions about Features Updates. 1) I haven't received the Windows 10 October 2018 Update version 1809 yet. Does that mean it isn't compatible with my PC? I know it had delays. I'm hoping to give it a try in the coming days via...
  5. Questions about downgrading drim 1709 to 1703

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Questions about downgrading drim 1709 to 1703: I need to downgrade from 1709 to 1703 since 1709 has compatibility problems with my Asus notebook ( ROG GL553) resulting in frequent BSODs. I've donwloaded the 1703 ISO from a Microsoft's source, but I'm worried about downgrading and losing my original Windows license. Also,...
  6. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709: Hello all your great peoples. I have a problem with Windows 10 update "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709" After update Windows want to restart and then i get "Windows Boot Manager" screen where i need to choose between "Windows Setup" and "Windows 10" (See...
  7. Feature update windows 10 version 1709

Feature update windows 10 version 1709: It downloads then tries to install but said I need to fix issue first click on fix issue . When i click fix issue it starts over again and when done says can not update? Have done this numerous times and still wont download or install this update. 99104
  8. Question About Creator's Update 1709 Not Completing

Question About Creator's Update 1709 Not Completing: I was getting popups to install this newest creator's update #1709, but I kept closing them until I was ready to do it, and planned to keep my computer on all night for the update. I've been ready to do it for a week now and haven't gotten any popups, which I was getting...
  9. Feature update version 1709 problem

Feature update version 1709 problem: Hi, I'm running Windows 10 pro Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.936) on an Acer Travelmate P253 Laptop. According to the Acer information, update to Windows 10, version 1709 is not compatible with my Laptop.So, I downloaded and used the "Show or Hide Updates tool"...
  10. Feature update to Windows 10 version 1709

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Feature update to Windows 10 version 1709: I have Windows 10 version 1703 OS Build 15063.726 . The Feature update 1709 says it is downloading on my Laptop, but it hasn't moved from 0% for a full day (10 hours)...any advice would be welcome as I think it should have moved on by now. 99569