Windows 10: question about firewall outbound rules

Discus and support question about firewall outbound rules in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; hi there *Smile I intend to create an outbound rule in Windows Firewall to block connections certain software might attempt to make. My question is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by marcosdipaolo, Dec 9, 2016.

1. question about firewall outbound rules

hi there *Smile
    I intend to create an outbound rule in Windows Firewall to block connections certain software might attempt to make.
    My question is if I can add an IP exception, like blocking all outbound connections with the exception of certain IP address where the software may connect, which is actually my website's ftp server.
    I've surfed in rules settings and I cannot find it. *Huh

:)

marcosdipaolo, Dec 9, 2016
  2. Tzon Win User

Why does Windows Firewall allow inbound connections by default for all modern apps?

To continue my initial question that was posted
    here
    , I would like to understand why the Windows Firewall allows by default incoming connections for any modern app.

A few observations:

In Windows Firewall with Advanced Security there are two sets of rules: inbound and outbound.

Outbound rules allow programs and apps to communicate to the internet. Inbound rules allow unsolicited connections (as I have understood so far, random not user or app provoked connections) to the computer from the internet.

Since Windows Firewall's outbound scanning is disabled by default, outbound rules are useless due to this "allow everything" policy (unless there is an explicit outbound block rule).

Regular apps (non servers), such as browsers, can work just fine by having outbound allow rules (or by the default "allow everything" Firewall setting). They can still receive incoming data if they are allowed to communicate to the internet (outbound) even
    if there is no allowing inbound rule or even if there is a blocking inbound rule!

For example, launching Google Chrome and typing an address, will make the browser send a request (outbound) to the website's server and receive info (to display the webpage) -- all this with no inbound rule enabled.

I understand that unsolicited inbound connections are required when, for example, sharing files or printers on a PC network. A remote PC on the same network can send a request to get access on some resources (media file, printer etc.).

Based on all the above, I do not see the purpose of having inbound allowing rules for all apps installed on the PC. Apps can work just with the outbound allowing rules or policy. Very few apps actually need to receive unsolicited inbound connections to work
    properly (server apps). Why then allow all apps to do so? Isn't that kind of a risk, if say, a malicious inbound connection exploits a vulnerability?

Thanks in advance,

John

Tzon, Dec 9, 2016
  3. Edge starts to open and then closes

Your solution works fain for me. I delete from firewall -> Outbound rules -> 3D Builder, after that MSEdge open and close immediately. Your solution restore rules in Firewall and all is ok now.

[ro] Adrian POPA, Dec 9, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

question about firewall outbound rules

Use hosts file under C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc instead.
    Example:
    127.0.0.1 http://www.yahoo.com
    will block yahoo website.

topgundcp, Dec 9, 2016
  5. Hi Topgundcp
    I don't understand, what i want is to block a program to all outbound connections except my website's ftp server IP address.
    Can you do that in hosts??

6. Samuria Win User
    If your blocking just one program you can use the host you cant block all connections that way

Samuria, Dec 9, 2016
  7. There is something no one is getting right.
    I DO NOT WANT TO BLOCK ALL CONNECTIONS
    I want to block all outbound connections from a certain program EXCEPT my FTP's IP address.
    To that IP address I DO WANT THE SOFTWARE TO CONNECT
    Is that possible?

8. Samuria Win User

Still not clear is the ftp and the software going to the same ip or not and what ports are the using what is the software

Samuria, Dec 12, 2016
  9. dormi98 Win User
    Add a custom rule at the windows firewall. Choose the program and in the scope section of the rule specify the ip ranges that you don't want the program to send packets. like: 0.0.0.0 - (IP address of your FTP Server - 1) add a second range (IP address of you FTP Server + 1) - 255.255.255.255
    In the action section use block connection.

dormi98, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. question about firewall outbound rules - Similar Threads - question firewall outbound

2. Windows Firewall Outbound rules

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Firewall Outbound rules: I set windows firewall to block all inbound and outbound connections on all profiles Public, Domain, and Private. I then created an outbound rule for one specific program that i want to allow through. I am looking at 2 computers, both with the exact same firewall rules. One...
  3. Windows Firewall Outbound rules

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Firewall Outbound rules: I set windows firewall to block all inbound and outbound connections on all profiles Public, Domain, and Private. I then created an outbound rule for one specific program that i want to allow through. I am looking at 2 computers, both with the exact same firewall rules. One...
  4. Windows Firewall Outbound rules

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Add Store apps to Windows Firewall outbound rule

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add Store apps to Windows Firewall outbound rule: Hello,I have changed Windows Firewall to block outbound connections.I had no problem configuring outbound rules to allow classic applications accessing the internet.I have tried adding the following two rules, but it does not...
  6. Add Store apps to Windows Firewall outbound rule

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Add Store apps to Windows Firewall outbound rule: Hello,I have changed Windows Firewall to block outbound connections.I had no problem configuring outbound rules to allow classic applications accessing the internet.I have tried adding the following two rules, but it does not...
  7. Add Store apps to Windows Firewall outbound rule

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
  8. Right Click - Add Inbound/Outbound Firewall Rule?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Right Click - Add Inbound/Outbound Firewall Rule?: Hi guys, I've always wondered why isn't there an option to quickly add an inbound/outbound firewall rule to an application straight from the app by, say, right click menu, add instantly? Wouldn't this be a great feature to have? Why the need to go to that Windows Defender...
  9. Windows Firewall Not Accepting A New Outbound/ Inbound Rule

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Firewall Not Accepting A New Outbound/ Inbound Rule: Hello Folks, I tried doing everything right from the complete computer scan to the system file check using command prompt to dism check to even using the firewall troubleshooter available at this link:...
  10. Outbound Firewall.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Outbound Firewall.: Hello everyone. For last couple of days I'm feeling like someone hacked my computer. I can see a lot of weird things installed in system. I've already put everything off but I wish You guys to let me know if there's something wrong. Thank You very much. Code: Name...