Windows 10: Question About Free Upgrade To Win10

Discus and support Question About Free Upgrade To Win10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am confused about the one year free upgrade. Is it free as in upgrade for a year and it is yours to have forever? Or is it free for one year and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by austint30, Apr 4, 2015.

1. austint30 Win User

Question About Free Upgrade To Win10

I am confused about the one year free upgrade.

Is it free as in upgrade for a year and it is yours to have forever?
    Or is it free for one year and then you have to pay even though you already upgraded?

:)

austint30, Apr 4, 2015

2. Questions about win10 upgrade

Hi,

We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I will assist you to answer your questions.

Please be informed that, when you reset the password you will get a message as “someone else may have been using my account and have to change my password again”. It is just to inform you
    for the security purpose. So that, you may be aware about your account related details.

If you upgrade to Windows 10 from genuine Windows 7 (SP1) /8.1 (update), the Windows 10 will get automatically activated using the previous Windows license. If you would like to upgrade to Windows 10 through media creation tool, follow the below
    note to activate Windows 10 without entering product key.

Note:To upgrade for free, select
    Upgrade this PC now in the tool. You should NOT be asked for a product key during the upgrade process. If you create a USB and use it to install, make sure to remove the USB as soon as setup begins. If you don't, you
    may be prompted for a product key. If this happens, remove the USB and restart your PC to continue with setup.

If you have the genuine product key for previous version of Windows, you may use it once you reinstall previous version of Windows. (If you wish to reinstall the previous version of Windows from Windows 10)

Reference: I suggest you to refer to the below article for more information on Windows 10.

Windows 10 FAQ:

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Apr 4, 2015
  3. 3467457 Win User
    Questions about win10 upgrade

Since this appears to be the closest to email support I can get I'll just post my questions here.

First, your password recovery system is absolutely horrible, I reset my password, get a message that someone else may have been using my account and have to change my password again.

Secondly, email support is so much better that any option you are offering me, as, unlike phone or chat, it gives me the option to take my time to write my question completely.

What I actually wanted to ask:

Regarding the update to win 10. If I upgrade, will my old product key still work for the earlier version of windows?

The how-to ting is suggesting this is the case but "can use installation media and a product key" could also mean a product key I'd have to buy as opposed to the one I already have.

Will I have to reinstall anything?

How do I disable the constant pop-up add telling me to upgrade?

3467457, Apr 4, 2015
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Who knows -- later we'll get info.

Meanwhile why not just enjoy the current FREE builds --valid till Oct 2015 -- maybe newer builds will last longer.

Image previous OS first in case you want to revert (or run W10 in a VM).

It's much to early in the game to wonder about pricing etc of this OS.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 4, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Free to download for one year after release and it's your forever.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2015
  6. austint30 Win User
    I really hope it is this way.

austint30, Apr 4, 2015
  7. NickTh Win User
    Can you link any official announcement for this please? I'm interesting.
    Thanks

NickTh, Apr 4, 2015
  8. richc46 Win User

This question has come up many times and Microsoft has made it clear, you have one year to accept the free offer. If accepted the OS and all updates free for life.
    What they do not say, but is probably true, we will be paying for apps and software.

richc46, Apr 4, 2015
  9. Chrono Win User
    I'm assuming it's just like the deals we got for 7 and 8. When it first releases, you would get an upgrade deal for about $30 and then it's yours. It's that, only free this time.

Chrono, Apr 4, 2015
  10. richc46 Win User
    With only one OS to worry about MS, has to be concerned with Windows 10 updates, improvements and questions from users; its a win win for them

richc46, Apr 4, 2015
  11. Chrono Win User
    I hope it works out and being free makes more people migrate from 7. It'll only benefit everyone when people move on to newer things.

Chrono, Apr 4, 2015
  12. richc46 Win User
    They also want the people with cracked systems to sign up. They will probably be given incentives to get genuine copies and find out who has illegal copies. This is a good marketing method for MS.

richc46, Apr 4, 2015
  13. Wynona Win User

Yup, but there will always be holdouts who don't want anything to do with Windows 10 because they've heard . . . you get the idea.

There will also be those who haven't a clue that Windows 8 exists, much less Windows 10. *Smile Believe it or not! Eventually, when I'm called on to help the seniors in our subdivision, I'll get about 1/4 of them to upgrade. At some point I'll have to tell folks that it's just not economical to work on a PC with Windows XP or 7 and then promise them that skipping Windows 8/8.1 is just the thing they should do. *Smile The ones whose computer has crashed and burned will be my easiest clients. I'll just have to help them set up their new system.

Wynona, Apr 5, 2015
  14. tinmar49 Win User
    Don't worry, Windows 11 is just around the corner.

tinmar49, Apr 5, 2015
  15. richc46 Win User
    MS says 10 is the end, but with continuous updates

richc46, Apr 5, 2015
Thema:

1. Question About Free Upgrade To Win10 - Similar Threads - Question Free Upgrade

2. Win10 upgrade questions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 upgrade questions: I built my current computer back in 2013 to meet my requirements, not some conference table definition of a gaming system or a workstation or a grandma's system or whatever. My objective was that it would last for a long time and it has. Until the last Win10 update it was...
  3. Win10 upgrade questions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 upgrade questions: I built my current computer back in 2013 to meet my requirements, not some conference table definition of a gaming system or a workstation or a grandma's system or whatever. My objective was that it would last for a long time and it has. Until the last Win10 update it was...
  4. question about upgrade.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    question about upgrade.: If my newly bought computer is not capable to Windows 11, can I go ahead and use the ISO or update assistant? just like in OS 10 before? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-upgrade/e5d89736-7ce2-469e-8042-e1aac8ce316d
  5. question about upgrade.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    question about upgrade.: If my newly bought computer is not capable to Windows 11, can I go ahead and use the ISO or update assistant? just like in OS 10 before? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-upgrade/e5d89736-7ce2-469e-8042-e1aac8ce316d
  6. Question about win10 license

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about win10 license: Hello. I just bought myself a copy of Win10 Home. Shortly after I was told that it was a waste of money because Windows 10 is free. I can see that on Microsoft's site there's a download for it, but is it something you still need to purchase a key for to activate? I am a...
  7. Quick question about upgrading a Win7 computer to Win10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Quick question about upgrading a Win7 computer to Win10: My main desktop right here is running Windows 10 Pro, but my old desktop is still on Windows 7 Ultimate since I never really had any need to upgrade it to win10. But now I've got some (paid) software that requires Windows 8 or higher, so I'm looking to upgrade that old...
  8. Free upgrade question

in Windows 10 Support
    Free upgrade question: Hi, I have been reading the free upgrade FAQ on here and stuff on other sites but still unsure about one point. Once my PC has downloaded the files for doing the free upgrade do I have to perform the upgrade within the first year since Win 10 launch or can I do it at a later...
  9. Frequently Asked Questions about the WIndows 10 Free upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Frequently Asked Questions about the WIndows 10 Free upgrade: NOTE: I have updated this post to include the most recent information as of 8/8/15. There has been a lot of misinformation, poorly communicated information, interpretation of information, re-interpretation of information, reading between the lines, reporting of said...
  10. Questions About Upgrading: Win7 -> Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Questions About Upgrading: Win7 -> Win10: I'm thinking of upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, but I have a few questions regarding the process and result. Essentially, my questions revolve around if I should be expecting that all my settings, applications, and documents remain identical after the upgrade process?...