Windows 10: Question about imaging

Discus and support Question about imaging in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Admittedly I am very lax on doing an image. I did a macrium one prob over a year ago and it took a long time to do my c: (SSD 400 gigs) and f: drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Scottyboy99, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Question about imaging

Admittedly I am very lax on doing an image. I did a macrium one prob over a year ago and it took a long time to do my c: (SSD 400 gigs) and f: drive (mechanical HD 2 TB). Lack of spare time stops me doing it. My question is would you guys bother imaging your secondary drive. I mean if things are going to go wrong it’s going to likely be your windows drive right? My secondary f: drive is dedicated to games mainly steam ones with pretty static data but it’s about 2 tb full of a total 3 tb capacity. Say I had to re image my c drive it wound all just knit back together with f: right ? I mean say I’ll launch steam it’ll know all the games are there etc

:)

Scottyboy99, Jan 27, 2018

2. A small question about system images

Would I have to recreate the system image?

buhdeuce67, Jan 27, 2018
  3. A small question about system images

Hi guys. I just want to know something quickly.

Yesterday I made a system image backup using the back up and restore (Windows 7) in Windows 10. The backup created itself just fine. However, I am saving up for a new SSD for my computer and I am worried about losing my data. The thing is, the backup was
    created with the HDD as the C: drive, but, when I get my SSD, I am intending for that to be my C: drive and my HDD to be file storage. Is there any way to choose which location I want to install to after I choose which image I want to restore to?

Thanks,

Hayden

buhdeuce67, Jan 27, 2018
  4. Question about imaging

I image my main SSD with MR and all of my Steam Games are on a second SSD. I clone that drive every so often and I also save my games to a spinner. Steam does have them in The Cloud but I have around 16 games and it would take a great deal of time to sync 340 Gb's.*Wink

Josey Wales, Jan 27, 2018
  5. Ok thank you. I will probably do the same then.

Scottyboy99, Jan 27, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    The base image (first) takes longer to create. If you then use differential imaging (the difference between 'now' and the base image) that image is faster and smaller.

E.g. (depending on how big your C: content is) 9-12 mins SSD over USB3 to a 5400rpm disk.
    Note: starting a differential image in Macrium is relatively unobvious, sadly.

Yes, I would image every disk. Every disk can fail.

dalchina, Jan 28, 2018
  7. lx07 Win User
    Wrong.

Exactly.

If you have some way of recovering the data on your secondary drive (several days downloading stuff from Steam, OneDrive, Netflix whatever) then fine - don't back it up. I don't either - I take the risk as in 20 years I've never had a disk failure. Perhaps I will and it would be boring downloading stuff but not a question of loss.

Consider if you have personal stuff (photos, documents) that you can't get back though. Your disk (either or both of them) may fail tomorrow. If you don't back it up you are treating it as a temporary scratch disk. That is fine - it is what I do - but back up your irreplaceable stuff and leave a copy at a friends house, in the cloud or somewhere though for gods sake.

8. Question about imaging

Thanks guys. Yeah all my photos, music etc are backed up in triplicate on NAS drives dotted around the house, also have Apple's icloud holding my music as a fourth tier of backup.

Basically this secondary drive is choc full of games, origin, steam etc. So it can all be redownloaded. It's more a question of if my C: windows install borks for some reason can I just image that and then use that image. My secondary F drive which sat there untouced then knits back together with it ok. I know C: has all sorts of references to program installs that reside on the secondary drive. I'd hate to then suddenly see all my steam desktop shortcuts, start menu links go awry after restoring C:

For the most convenience I know imaging the whole lot is best and then incremental after that. But I also know doing almost 2.5 TB data on an image will take a long long time. So I felt maybe just doing C which is much less and also SSD would be easier and quicker.

Scottyboy99, Jan 28, 2018
  9. cereberus Win User
    In simple terms, imaging the C drive and associated hidden files is all you need to do to primarily restore status of PC if you get issues.

Of course, backing up other drives and/or visible partitions (ie those with a drive letter) is important but you can use a number of tools ranging from simple manual copying with File Explorer or semi/fully automatic with File History Backup or one of many 3rd party tools.

Personally, I only image the C drive plus hidden partitions as it keeps the backup image lean and mean. Any critical data gets backed up to cloud, and my HDD is backed up now and then, pragmatically accepting I may have to redownload some stuff (it is mostly videos from Amazon etc). Nothing is critical really. I do not install non portable programs on drives other than C as that complicates upgrades.

As an aside, I have turned off the old system restore points, and simply create incremental backups using Macrium Reflect Home (paid version) as that has the awesome Rapid Delta Restore which means I can do same in effect as restoring a system restore point but much quicker, and more reliably.

cereberus, Jan 28, 2018
  10. lx07 Win User
    Well that will teach me to tempt fate.

This morning for the first time ever there is no operating system found on my laptop SSD.

Oh well *Sad

11. dalchina New Member
    Looks like you're in for a fun morning! My commiserations.. I recall when marking exams in a Chinese university how I suddenly lost all the partition table for my disk.. time was against me. I had no other PC.. eventually fixed it.

That was before I started disk imaging ...

dalchina, Jan 29, 2018
  12. lx07 Win User
    I fixed it thanks to Kyhi rescue disk.

I was trying to help on this thread 2 Partition system? - Windows 10 Forums and set my system partition inactive just to get a screenshot. Sometimes I really am an idiot.

I am now going to bow to peer pressure and make my first Macrium backup since September before something else goes wrong. You are all correct and I'm not but, phewww anyway!

Thema:

Question about imaging

1. Question about imaging - Similar Threads - Question imaging

2. Windows 11 can't upload images in "ask a question"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 can't upload images in "ask a question": Inserting a image .png or .jpg, 300 KB fails here in "Ask a Question" -> Files failed to upload I actually wanted to ask a question about Windows 11 language but this is not possible without images....
  3. Windows 11 can't upload images in "ask a question"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 can't upload images in "ask a question": Inserting a image .png or .jpg, 300 KB fails here in "Ask a Question" -> Files failed to upload I actually wanted to ask a question about Windows 11 language but this is not possible without images....
  4. Cannot add image to question here and Task Manager issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot add image to question here and Task Manager issue: While trying to ask a new question and needing to load a screenshot image, I cannot get the image to load, copy, or insert without a "something went wrong" response. I just moved to Windows 11 Home from Windows 10 Home. I checked to make sure that all of the updates were...
  5. Cannot add image to question here and Task Manager issue

Cannot add image to question here and Task Manager issue: While trying to ask a new question and needing to load a screenshot image, I cannot get the image to load, copy, or insert without a "something went wrong" response. I just moved to Windows 11 Home from Windows 10 Home. I checked to make sure that all of the updates were...
  6. Image uploading failure in the "Ask a Question" page

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Image uploading failure in the "Ask a Question" page: Hello!I've recently been having loads of various issues from different devices, none of which I've been able to solve due to the Live Chat Widget page being a blank screen. Thus, I wished to report the issue, and see if there was a way to fix it. However when I went to add an...
  7. Image uploading failure in the "Ask a Question" page

Image uploading failure in the "Ask a Question" page: Hello!I've recently been having loads of various issues from different devices, none of which I've been able to solve due to the Live Chat Widget page being a blank screen. Thus, I wished to report the issue, and see if there was a way to fix it. However when I went to add an...
  8. lock screen question "like the image that you see?" accidentally click the wrong feedback

in Windows 10 Gaming
    lock screen question "like the image that you see?" accidentally click the wrong feedback: On lock screen, I accidentally click the wrong feedback for the question "Like the image that you see?" , and for example after I click no, not a fan when I actually like the signature picture a lot or click yes, I like it when I don't like the picture, it's kinda frustrating...
  9. lock screen question "like the image that you see?" accidentally click the wrong feedback

lock screen question "like the image that you see?" accidentally click the wrong feedback: On lock screen, I accidentally click the wrong feedback for the question "Like the image that you see?" , and for example after I click no, not a fan when I actually like the signature picture a lot or click yes, I like it when I don't like the picture, it's kinda frustrating...
  10. Default Windows Image Viewer Question.

Default Windows Image Viewer Question.: When I double click on an image via whatever application is the default and I have 100's of images in a folder, is there a quick way to find the image? Like I press 1 button and it links me to the file in the folder or something like that?...