Windows 10: Question about loading W10 on a new unformatted drive

Discus and support Question about loading W10 on a new unformatted drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello all, My question is pretty straight forward. As soon as they are available, I plan to replace the Samsung 950 Pro in my desktop with a larger... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bruce427, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Bruce427 Win User

Question about loading W10 on a new unformatted drive

Hello all,

My question is pretty straight forward. As soon as they are available, I plan to replace the Samsung 950 Pro in my desktop with a larger capacity 960 Pro.

My computer is running UEFI BIOS.

I used the Rufus media creation tool to create a bootable USB drive that boots only in "GPT Partition Scheme for UEFI."

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

Should I simply be able to boot/install from the Rufus/USB drive and Windows will take care of everything else (such as formatting the drive and configuring the partition GPT)? Or is there something else I need to do?

:)

Bruce427, Sep 28, 2016
  2. JayStorr Win User

Install a new version of windows 10 on a new hard drive

How do I install a new version of windows 10 on a new, unformatted hard drive?

JayStorr, Sep 28, 2016
  3. cg132 Win User
    N97 multiple issues.

All right folks. I figured it out for myself. You can close and lock this thread.

Applications -> office -> file browser.

If the E drive is unformatted...there’s your problem.

Options -> format mass memory.

Huzzah. 30GB of internal memory spawned outta nowhere.

Its nice to know the brand new out of box N97 is shipped with corrupt or unformatted memory. Be sure the first thing you do when you break it out of the box is to format that lovely 30gb internal memory so that you can finally load a map or two.

Cheers,

cg132, Sep 28, 2016
  4. bobkn Win User

Yes. A clean install will automatically partition and format a blank drive.

bobkn, Sep 29, 2016
Thema:

1. Question about loading W10 on a new unformatted drive - Similar Threads - Question loading W10

2. Question about Linking Phone to W10 2004

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about Linking Phone to W10 2004: This morning upon booting up, the log in screen was missing the usual fun fact bullets about the background picture, including the top right selection where you can tell Microsoft if you like this picture or not. I assumed it was patch Tuesday because of the missing things....
  3. Question about reinstalling W10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about reinstalling W10: Hi. I have a Lenovo laptop which has come preinstalled with W10. I have connected it to wifi and Windows shows as "activated". However as there are a lot of unwanted preinstalled apps, I was considering reinstalling W10 from scratch using a bootable USB created from...
  4. A question about USB drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A question about USB drives: Hey, Don't know if this a dumb question or not but I'm asking just because I'm curious. Deleted data still stays on a drive, right? At least until it's overwritten by another thing? When I plug a flash drive or even a phone via USB in a PC and delete a file from there, is...
  5. Questions about W10 upgrade page

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Questions about W10 upgrade page: I can't move from 10240 to the next build via WU regardless of what I do (have done many things to try an make it work via windows update, all to no avail) I've reached the point of trying the Windows 10 site https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/soft...load/windows10 to upgrade to...
  6. Question about Computer booting into BIOS not w10

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about Computer booting into BIOS not w10: Hey all, so the issue is, i got a NEWER(to me) MOBO and set up the computer as per-normal, the issue i'm facing is... when I power on the PC, it boots DIRECTLY into BIOS, not POST issues/start up messages Checked CMOS battery, is still good and hold settings...
  7. Question about Recovery Drive

Question about Recovery Drive: I have a primary drive which is 500 GB - I would like to split it so that I can use half for OS and half for data. I made a recovery USB (before I split the drive) and I would like to know that if I restore whether the disk partition will go back to how it was when the...
  8. Question about W10 Image.

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about W10 Image.: I usually back up my current system by making an image on another disk. I just did that, and thought I wonder if anyone's tested it for reliability. I mean is it still working as intended in W10 64? 26764
  9. Question About W10 Flash Drive

Question About W10 Flash Drive: I am dual booting W10 and Ubuntu 14.04 on one computer and W7 and Ubuntu 14.04 on a Desktop. I have W10 on a Flash Drive that I made when I updated this Dell 960 small form 64 bit computer from W7 Home to W10 as a test about 8 months ago. I am ready to update my Dell 960...
  10. A few Brief Questions about W10

in Windows 10 Support
    A few Brief Questions about W10: 1. There is a search bar at the bottom of my computer. It says search the web and windows.......I don't want it there. How do I get rid of it ? 2. What is box ? I clicked it on but it won't open.....should I delete it ? I unpinned the games, groove music, sports,...