Windows 10: Question about Locking a "lost or stolen" Windows 10 device

Discus and support Question about Locking a "lost or stolen" Windows 10 device in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; (To give a little insight to the situation ->) Recently I've lent one of my laptops to a friend that needed one for the time being. This dates back to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Laj1, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Laj1 Win User

Question about Locking a "lost or stolen" Windows 10 device

(To give a little insight to the situation ->) Recently I've lent one of my laptops to a friend that needed one for the time being. This dates back to January 11th and since late May I've been asking for it back. He's been repeatedly making up excuses and I've become concerned on the condition of my laptop.

I would like to include that I made a local account for him to use on the laptop, it doesn't have admin access.

I've checked my devices page under "find my device" and it states that it was last seen on 3/20/18. (Approx. 2 months from post) What does this mean? Does this perhaps mean the last time it was turned on and connected to the internet? (It also states under it "We can't reach your device right now. It might be offline.)

I've also tried to lock my laptop to deter him from using it and increase my chances of getting it back, but when I try, it tries to reach my device, but then fails to do so. Does my laptop have to be on and connected to the internet in order to lock it?

If I need to be more specific, please do inform me! Thanks for your time!

:)

Laj1, Jul 4, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Hi Laj1, I am sorry you have lost your device . . .

Yes for 'Find My Device' to locate or to lock your device, it must be switched on and connected to the Internet at that point in time . . .

DaveM121, Jul 4, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 4, 2018
  4. Question about Locking a "lost or stolen" Windows 10 device

Networking for a stolen device

Hello,

Windows 10 allows users to quickly find other computers or devices sharing the same network. For us to verify if the old PC is still connected to your network, follow these steps:

• Using Windows Search, type and choose File Explorer.
    • Click Network on your navigation pane along the folder's left edge. It will provide you with the list of computers using the same network.
    • Check to see if you can locate the stolen PC's name.

Make sure that you reach out to the computer manufacturer to validate if they can track your old device's system information. After doing so, you may file a report to the police so they can conduct further investigation regarding this incident.

Let us know if you need more help about this query.

Dhavelyn Mer, Jul 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Question about Locking a "lost or stolen" Windows 10 device - Similar Threads - Question Locking lost

2. Lock a Stolen Device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lock a Stolen Device: My laptop was stolen and I am unable to lock the device remotely. If I try the "Find my Device" it shows the battery is 0% and I get the following message : We can’t locate this device since it hasn’t been used in the past 30 days.. Then when I try the "Lock" function I get...
  3. Lock a Stolen Device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lock a Stolen Device: My laptop was stolen and I am unable to lock the device remotely. If I try the "Find my Device" it shows the battery is 0% and I get the following message : We can’t locate this device since it hasn’t been used in the past 30 days.. Then when I try the "Lock" function I get...
  4. Windows reported lost/stolen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows reported lost/stolen: I recently purchased a computer and I'm getting an error that this computer has been reported stolen, I dont know what would be the best fix for this, I dont want to waste the money I spent on purchasing that computer....
  5. Windows reported lost/stolen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows reported lost/stolen: I recently purchased a computer and I'm getting an error that this computer has been reported stolen, I dont know what would be the best fix for this, I dont want to waste the money I spent on purchasing that computer....
  6. Stolen Laptop- Question about PIN login attempts, Remotely Locking

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Stolen Laptop- Question about PIN login attempts, Remotely Locking: Hi everyone,I had my laptop stolen last week I have Windows 10. It was password protected with a PIN that must be entered when you turn on the computer. Just had a few questions to make sure I'm securing it correctly. I have reported it stolen to the police, and am in the...
  7. about stolen device assistance

about stolen device assistance: my device was stolen on 4th feb by a fugitive theif, the find my device option is also on, but it keeps showing generic locations. is there any way you could assist with this? in case my device is formatted and wiped clean, what assistance can microsoft offer?...
  8. A question about Optimzing device

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A question about Optimzing device: Since I'm using SSD in my laptop I read an article and turned off the default device defrag and optimization. Recently I read another article which suggests keeping the schedule optimization turned on as windows don't defrag SSD rather does some kind of optimization. Now I am...
  9. stolen/lost laptop

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    stolen/lost laptop: hello, i have lost my laptop. please, is there a way to lock it and not let anyone reset it. and if possible, display on the screen, a kind message and my number so if not stolen and found, they can contact me. my laptop is a windows 10...
  10. Find my lost or stolen device

Find my lost or stolen device: How do i find the last known location of a device that has had the location or find my device settings turned off? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/find-my-lost-or-stolen-device/56326dc3-95cf-47b9-a8bc-e798cc486407"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows phone wont lock from lost devices problem with the network