Windows 10: Question about partition on my main drive

Discus and support Question about partition on my main drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I got this drive image from my Macrium Reflect Home edition and don't understand the last partition? is there something wrong here? Thanks! *Smile 56307 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by p5200, Jul 14, 2016.

1. p5200 Win User

Question about partition on my main drive

I got this drive image from my Macrium Reflect Home edition and don't understand the last partition? is there something wrong here? Thanks! *Smile

:)

p5200, Jul 14, 2016
  2. elstaci Win User

Going back to Windows 7 from Windows 10

Use a Live CD with a Partition Management program on it. Set computer BIOS to boot from Live CD. Use Partition Management program to delete Windows 10 partition on main drive. Make a new partition on main drive. Use your old windows installation disk to
    boot to and reinstall windows 7. I tried using my old windows 8.1 installation disk with Windows 10 on my main drive and received the error message that it was the wrong OS. So, my 8.1 installation disk wouldn't boot up UNTIL i deleted windows 10 from my main
    drive.

elstaci, Jul 14, 2016
  3. Discharge rate of laptop battery VERY high at idle.

Ok, so I used my secondary windows partition (anniversary update) for about 1 month now and after returning to my main partition (fall creators update) every 5 or so days, every time the battery issue was still present on the main partition, but perfectly
    fine on my secondary partition. However, for some reason I went back to my main partition today and everything is fixed... everything is normal again. I DID switch hard drives once to test something, but that hard drive was dead, I ran a BIOS
    diagnostic test and everything passed except for my test hard drive since it was "not detected" and so I put my old hard drive back in. Now everything is fine, I doubt taking the hard drive and back in did anything, but maybe the BIOS diagnostic test did something,
    but no errors were shown. I am happy that everything is working now though, this is all very strange.

Peter Njeim, Jul 14, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

It is unallocated space probably reserved for overprovisioning by the SSD firmware.

NavyLCDR, Jul 14, 2016
  5. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

450Mb seems a very small amount of disk space for overprovisioning to me considering what seems like a 240 Gb ssd.
    I don't know about Intel SSDs but most firmware controlled overprovisioning is invisible to the user.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jul 14, 2016
  6. I believe there are ways to merge that blank partition with your C partition but need more information
    Paid versions of Macrium Reflect, Aoemi Partition Manager and I suppose some other 3rd party programs also.
    If you did not have that intervening partition merging the blank partition with your C partition would have been free and easy
    Did you upgrade from a 250(?) GB HDD to a 300(?)GB HDD?
    Is the partitioning you showed an SSD? (SSD was mentioned in a prior post)
    You mentioned imaging: was it a system image backup or was it a clone?
    Was upgrading to Win10 from a previous OS involved before or during the time that you mentioned the blank HDD partition?
    I need to note I really am not a hardware person but have dealt with a couple of situations similar to what you mentioned but followed instructions on how to deal with them.

MeAndMyComputer, Jul 15, 2016
  7. p5200 Win User
    Yes, it's an intel 733 240 gb ssd

p5200, Jul 15, 2016
  8. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

When you run disk management do you actually see this partition?
    If you don't I would leave things as they are. After all it's only 450 Mb, right ?

Other than that you could consult the manual or Intel's site about this SSD and see how it handles overprovisioning.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jul 16, 2016
  9. I believe the comments about overprovisioning is what’s happening. Those expert opinions are very valuable.

As recommended you could check with Intel. Personally I would call them if you can.
    --- Do not do anything about that “blank” partition unless you know it’s the right thing do to
    --- It is only 450MB and it is part of the original setup

In my case I have a Crucial SSD and I called them in order to set it up properly and everything went fine.
    --- But if I ended up with a “blank” partition I would have called them back and asked them about it
    --- Like you I would have questioned that “blank” partition so I could understand what’s going on and what to do about it if applicable

It might not be necessary to do so but you could check to see if TRIM is working ok.
    Open an admin-level command window and enter the following: fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify.
    Windows will respond with DisableDeleteNotify = 0 if TRIM is working.
    --- I expect it will be ok and I would then leave the SSD setup as is.

MeAndMyComputer, Jul 16, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Also, are we talking about the last actual partition (partition 3 that is 328.7 MB used out of 450 MB), or are we talking about the unallocated space after it of 449.6 MB? Partition 3 is the Windows 10 Recovery (WindowsRE) partition. The space after that is just unallocated space that could be reserved by the SSD for over provisioning, or it could just be blank space that was for some reason or glitch not included in the OS partition.

NavyLCDR, Jul 16, 2016
  11. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Mb not Gb. *Wink

As I understand it we are talking about the unallocated space right behind the Recovery partition.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jul 16, 2016
  12. Compare your disk management to the MR’s system image
    --- If your disk management doesn’t show that blank partition then it’s a MR issue
    --- Post back on what you find out

Check out Intel’s support options
    Intel® Solid-State Drive (SSD)
    Contact Support
    I know I would want to find out about that blank partition if your disk management shows the same

EDIT: Did you replace the computer's original HDD with the SSD?

MeAndMyComputer, Jul 16, 2016
  13. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Why would it be an MR issue ? It's rather MS' disk management that has limitatons.

Intel's SSDs use 7% of the total capacity of the drive for overprovisioning. For a 240 Gb drive that amounts to 16.8 Gb.
    All of which would be invisible to the user.

So, my guess is that that partition Macrium shows is just unallocated space.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jul 16, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    I'm blaming it on the fact that I am the big Five-OH today.

NavyLCDR, Jul 16, 2016
  15. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

LOL. Happy birthday to you then NavyLCDR. *Party
    I joined that club 9 years ago already. Still kind of functional though. *sarc
    Will open a special Belgian brew for you tonight.....

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jul 16, 2016
Thema:

1. Question about partition on my main drive - Similar Threads - Question partition main

2. Question about recovery partition on laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about recovery partition on laptop: Hello I have an acer brand computer that came built with windows 10 and I formatted the drive c on which it was installed and chose boot and then started a clean installation of windows 11 and did not delete or touch the recovery partition in the partition window that is...
  3. Hard drive exrending main partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive exrending main partition: Mistakenly shrunk the main partition containing Win10 on my hard drive. Cannot extend it again extend partiton option greyed out. Help please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-exrending-main-partition/fd8315f6-6fed-406b-b397-a3b67c9a2b1c
  4. Question about deleting a partition.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about deleting a partition.: [ATTACH] For some reason MSI made two partition on the 500GB M.2 SSD on my GS65 (drive C for Windows and D for Data). I recently added a 1TB nvme to the laptop and was wondering if it was ok for me to delete Drive D so that there are only 2 partitions on my laptop. I'm not...
  5. Question about EFI partition.

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about EFI partition.: I converted my boot drive to GPT a couple of days ago. Took a bit of effort because I used minitools instead of reimaging. I had to re-register a couple of pieces of software but other than all my software and hardware are functioning correctly. This is a snapshot of the MS...
  6. Question about recovery partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Question about recovery partition: OneKey Recovery no longer works on my laptop, presumably because of a clean install, so I'm planning to start using Macrium Reflect. There's a hidden partition called "PRB_DRV". How can I tell whether it's safe to delete this partition? 131144
  7. Question about drive partition ~ see image

Question about drive partition ~ see image: Can someone please look at the below hard drive partitions and tell me what the 12.6 GB partition 5 is and if its needed? Can I combine it with partition 3? Thanks for your help [img] 107112
  8. A Couple Questions About Partitions

A Couple Questions About Partitions: Hello forum, I'm a bit of a newbie as far as computers go. I've had this rig currently for about a year and am always messing with it to learn more about computers as I consider it a hobby and learning experience. Today I decided to take a look at the current disk situation...
  9. a question about partitions

a question about partitions: [img] I would like 2 know if its possible to some how reclaim the unallocated space and merge it back with C: windows drive... I know disk management wont allow it because the unallocated space isn't adjacent to the main partition... the 2 smaller recovery partitions...
  10. A question about file systems on C drive partitions

A question about file systems on C drive partitions: A while back I was surprised to see 13 partitions on the C drive of my small hybrid device, but I was devised it was not uncommon or a problem. I have just noticed (using Speccy) that some partitions have NTFS while others have FAT and FAT 32. I was expecting them to be all...