Windows 10: Question about recent power outage and PC

Discus and support Question about recent power outage and PC in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Since changing CMOS battery and Surge Protector there has not been anymore issues with my PC not powering on. Thanks for all the help and info. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jds63, Apr 5, 2018.

1. jds63 Win User

Question about recent power outage and PC

Since changing CMOS battery and Surge Protector there has not been anymore issues with my PC not powering on. Thanks for all the help and info.

jds63, Apr 5, 2018
  2. jds63 Win User

Not sure if this was a cure but it worked and not sure why although it came to me to try this.

Came home from work and noticed my power went out while at work. After being home awhile i went to turn on my PC and it did not come on at all no lights nothing.

I checked all breakers in house nothing had tripped. I plugged the PC into another outlet in the house and still no power i proceeded to test the EVGA power supply with the EVGA Detection Tool and i had power to the power supply then.

Something told me to remove the CMOS battery and once put back in power was restored to the PC and everything is fine.

What else can i expect, was this correct and why?

I am not sure the only thing i see from my surge protector is that part of it called a green zone does not work anymore on it's outlets so i switched this feature off, most likely look into a new one if this can be a cause or future issue with it.

:)

jds63, Apr 6, 2018
  3. SasaAsasa Win User
    Asus Anti Surge

i fast question. My mobo Asus Z170-P and psu Corsair 750RM. 3 months ago there was power outage ( for short time ) in my house,and my pc restart with message: "“Power supply surges detected during the
    previous power on ASUS anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable supply unit.” Press F1 to continue." After restart is again fine. So question. Why after power outage i get that msg? Is this normal?

In bios i have AC POWER LOSS RESTART OFF. So why it is restarts with Anti Surge instead of shutting down?

I was in work when that happened so i cant tell how long was power outage.

SasaAsasa, Apr 6, 2018
  4. Question about recent power outage and PC

Power Outage / lost all files

I'm running Windows 10 on an hp ENVY 23 desktop and there was a power outage that lasted for all of 10 seconds. The pc was on at the time and when the outage shut it off I powered it back on to find all of my files I had on the desktop are now gone. Is
    this a normal function for a pc that goes through a power outage? Also I tried to do a recovery and restore but I get the message that no changes could be made.

DarrekBattle, Apr 6, 2018
  5. By removing the CMOS battery you are clearing all previously stored BIOS and configuration settings. It also allows the motherboards capacitors to fully drain their power when removed.

If it is not working, then I would recommend getting a new one and stop using it.

Masterchiefxx17, Apr 6, 2018
  6. jds63 Win User
    Thanks for the response !

I read about CMOS Battery and only took it out for a few seconds and put it back in and i never made many changes to the BIOS settings except Memory profile which i had to set back to Profile 1.

Surge Protector works fine when i shut off the Green Power switch but i am already looking into purchasing a new one. I have shut off the PC several times and it is fine. You say it fully drains the power when removing this battery i am not fully understanding how that solved my powering on situation by doing so.

jds63, Apr 6, 2018
  7. Steve C Win User
    It seems a power surge / spike may have corrupted your BIOS settings. Removing the BIOS battery sets the BIOS values to their default settings. I had a similar issue which required the BIOS to be reflashed. A low CMOS battery voltage can also cause a temporary loss of BIOS settings. I would replace the battery (normally a CR2032) if the voltage is below 3V. Note many BIOSs let you save / load your preferred BIOS setting. This is handy - you load the defaults, reboot then set your preferred saved values.

Steve C, Apr 6, 2018
  8. Question about recent power outage and PC

It's unlikely the power surge actually corrupted the OP's BIOS settings. Those are mostly stored on flash memory along with your BIOS image so if the surge corrupted the settings it's likely that the BIOS itself would be corrupted as well and require a full reflash. Also, the BIOS settings don't come into the picture if the system won't power up at all.

My guess is that the surge messed up the power sequencing on the motherboard. In order to boot, the PCH and various other components require the voltage rails and reset signals to rise and fall in a specific order within a certain amount of time. This includes the VccRTC-based signals powered by the coin battery. So if a surge caused some voltage or reset signal to come up unexpectedly, the motherboard may enter a bad state and get stuck. Draining the VccRTC rail resets everything back to 0.

PolarNettles, Apr 6, 2018
  9. jds63 Win User
    Thanks ! BIOS was fine no reflash needed just had to reset some settings back to the way i had it before. As far as the power supply i am using another till i get a better one i am not sure the power outage did it or not as i was not home at the time just noticed one of my clocks was flashing. I do have one of those batteries CR2032 (common battery for many items) noticed when taken out it was that type. Computer is not very old and heard they can last a long time.

You mean this voltage from 3v shown on AIDA64.

Question about recent power outage and PC [​IMG]

jds63, Apr 7, 2018
  10. VBAT generally refers to the coin battery.

PolarNettles, Apr 7, 2018
  11. jds63 Win User
    Thanks for the reply ! How about when a PC is unplugged for a period of time say in storage ? As said not sure the outage caused corruption to the surge protector or the surge protector had an issue from the PC being plugged into the Green Power outlets of this surge protector. I had switched off this feature and outlets did work but not to power up the PC till i removed it's battery.

You both know more then i do on this matter i was not sure why this worked but so far glad it did and did not ruin my board, Power Supply or anything else in the process. Will be getting another better Surge Protector

jds63, Apr 7, 2018
  12. If the PC is unplugged from the wall then the coin battery will be supplying all the RTC power. So the battery will drain faster than if you left the PC plugged in. But on a fresh battery it would still take years for it to fully drain.

Those "green power" sockets are not standardized so their behavior is up to the manufacturer. But they obviously contain additional electronics and probably mechanical relays that can fail during a surge. I doubt that they were directly responsible for the PC not powering up but there's really no way to tell.

PolarNettles, Apr 7, 2018
  13. Steve C Win User

"You mean this voltage from 3v shown on AIDA64."

I normally measure the actual CR2032 voltage with a voltmeter and fit a new battery if under 3V. A new battery is normally over 3.2V. Problems with these batteries can cause so much pain and grief so I replace them regularly. I haven't seen a hardware monitor before which reports the CMOS battery voltage. Maybe your motherboard is rare in having a sensor which reports this?

Steve C, Apr 7, 2018
  14. westom Win User
    A transient into a motherboard may have corrupted CMOS settings. Battery voltage would be irrelevant. A PSU normally would have averted (blocked) that transient. Problem is an adjacent protector that compromised (bypassed) that PSU. Adjacent (power strip) protectors have a long history of connecting a transient directly into the motherboard; bypassing what is superior protection.

Anyone can see that. For example, take a meter. Measure conductivity from that protector's third prong (on its AC plug) to many IC pins and other motherboard parts. That is the direct connect that a transient would have used to only corrupt CMOS settings.

That transient is averted at the breaker box - a 'whole house' solution. If that computer needed protection, then all appliances (motorized and electronic) also needed that protection. Even near zero joule plug-in protectors need that protection.

It was a tiny transient. Would have only corrupted some CMOS settings. Next time, the transient may be significant - do hardware damage.

Do not waste money on plug-in boxes. Those do not claim to protect from typically destructive surges (as specification numbers make obvious). Apparently a 'whole house' protection system does not exist (that costs about $1 per protected appliance - it is that inexpensive). That 'whole house' solution necessary to even protect tiny joules in a plug-in protector.

BTW holding down a front panel button does not drain capacitors. Those capacitors have bleeder resistors (typically 100K ohms) that drain charges in seconds. Those bleeder resistors were standard for protecting human life - even back when electronics used vacuum tubes. All capacitors are automatically discharged in seconds.

westom, Apr 7, 2018
  15. jds63 Win User
    Then the battery looks good ?

jds63, Apr 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Question about recent power outage and PC - Similar Threads - Question recent power

2. Power Outage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power Outage: Hi, there was a sudden power outage in my area and my PC was shut down. I was able to turn on the PC without issue but when I run DISM it says I have errors?C:\Windows\System32>DISM/sfc /scannow Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.22621.2792 Error: 87...
  3. Power Outage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power Outage: Hi, there was a sudden power outage in my area and my PC was shut down. I was able to turn on the PC without issue but when I run DISM it says I have errors?C:\Windows\System32>DISM/sfc /scannow Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.22621.2792 Error: 87...
  4. Had about a twosecond power outage.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Had about a twosecond power outage.: Turned the HP laptop on, it started and went to an update. had about a two second power fluctuation, outage, brownout enough to turnoff the clock on the kitchen microwave. Update continued with the wheel turning no percentages showing, Said it was at 100 % the wheel has...
  5. Had about a twosecond power outage.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Had about a twosecond power outage.: Turned the HP laptop on, it started and went to an update. had about a two second power fluctuation, outage, brownout enough to turnoff the clock on the kitchen microwave. Update continued with the wheel turning no percentages showing, Said it was at 100 % the wheel has...
  6. PC issues after power outage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC issues after power outage: Hey peeps, I was gaming and my power flickered but my pc never shutoff. I continued playing but my game almost immediately started skipping frames. I tried restarting the pc and it was still happening. The cursor was skipping even at the home desktop screen. I tried...
  7. Question about Power Toys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about Power Toys: I'm trying to use the Awake feature in Power Toys. I have it set up to start up at Windows 11 Startup. It's set up to delay sleep for 3 hours after startup. I suppose this will only work once. I want to repeat this delay at a later hour, say at 6 PM the same day. How can this...
  8. Question about power settings.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about power settings.: So my friend was showing me in his control panel that he has a setting that i think is called performance boosted mode, instead of the high performance mode that I have on my control panel. He said it is a new feature since he got it after he updated windows, but after I...
  9. Quick Question on sleep mode and power outage

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick Question on sleep mode and power outage: So i usually put my PC to sleep more often than turn it off (this has caused me no end of problems when windows wakes up my bloody machine to try and install/download updates) anyway sometimes i have had power outages while its in sleep mode and im sleeping myself. Question...
  10. Power outage while PC in sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Power outage while PC in sleep: My PC suffered a power Outage while it was in sleep mode. When power came back, I started it up and it was running very slow, could not even get Task Master to work. Re Boot and screen message said a disk cleanup was necessary. When that did not work, went to USB startup disk...