Windows 10: Question about reverting to windows 7 and reactivating.

Discus and support Question about reverting to windows 7 and reactivating. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi all, ill try to explain as clearly as i can. 1. I had an SSD with Windows 7 (legit), i upgraded it to Windows 10 without any problems. 2. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by colpo, Aug 13, 2015.

1. colpo Win User

Question about reverting to windows 7 and reactivating.

Hi all, ill try to explain as clearly as i can.

1. I had an SSD with Windows 7 (legit), i upgraded it to Windows 10 without any problems.
    2. I bought a bigger SSD and did a clean install of Windows 10 and it was still activated, as it should be.
    3. I then bought a whole bunch of new hardware (Motherboard, CPU, GPU and RAM) but still the same disk.
    Windows 10 was now no longer activated, which was perhaps expected since i basically had a new computer.

So my question is, can i pop my old SSD back in, revert it to Win 7, re-upgrade to Win 10 on it and then switch it back to my new disk without having to do a clean install, but keep the activation?

:)

colpo, Aug 13, 2015
  2. Le Boule Win User

Question about Windows Defender Reactivation

Windows 10 includes Windows Defender which is a complete antimalware program. Please note that installation of a third party antimalware program should disable Windows Defender. If you wish to use Windows Defender, you must
    remove completely remove any third party antimalware program (Avast, AVG, McAfee, Norton, whatever) and reboot the computer.
    List
    of anti-malware product removal tools

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-protect-your-pc

http://www.howtogeek.com/220232/how-to-use-the-built-in-windows-defender-antivirus-on-windows-10/

Configure Windows Defender in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10

Good luck...

Le Boule, Aug 13, 2015
  3. Question about reverting to an older build: windows 10

It seems i am having some trouble in bugs or adjusting to the new update. I wanted to revert to the anniversary build before the 10day period ends.

My question is that can I easily update again to the latest builds after I reverted now? because im thinking I could just revert for now and upgrade in the coming months when issues are already ironed out.
    thanks!

JasperSantiago1, Aug 13, 2015
  4. Question about reverting to windows 7 and reactivating.

My guess is yes... If not...

First, reinstall Windows 7 on your new set up and enter the key.
    If that works and it activates, your worries are over.

Your Windows 10 activation failed when you replaced the motherboard.
    It's possible that the Microsoft support helpline will re-activate it for you before you have to do anything drastic.

teachermark, Aug 13, 2015
  5. colpo Win User
    Cool, but i can do this on my old SSD right? Was hoping i wouldnt have to reinstall anything on my new disk.

Any reason why it wouldnt work to revert to Windows 7 rather than a clean install?
    It's not a major problem other than that i'd have to get a hold of a Windows 7 iso to do a clean install.

Thanks for the quick reply.

colpo, Aug 13, 2015
  6. colpo Win User
    Support was no help at all, she clearly woke up on the wrong side and told me i had to do a clean install of Windows 7 first but i didnt have the patience to explain my whole set-up situation to her.

Byt anyway, thanks! Ill try reverting first then or else ill do a clean install.

colpo, Aug 13, 2015
  7. colpo Win User
    Just reverting worked like a charm, thanks again!

colpo, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Question about reverting to windows 7 and reactivating.

1. Question about reverting to windows 7 and reactivating. - Similar Threads - Question reverting reactivating

2. Question about if windows will get reactivated automatically

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question about if windows will get reactivated automatically: I have recently brought a Laptop from Mi. It came preinstalled windows. If I need to format my laptop later, then all data including the operating system gets removed. So please answer the question I have given below. 1. Do I have to create a recovery Pendrive from the...
  3. Reverting to Windows 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reverting to Windows 7: I need to revert my laptop back to Windows 7 unfortunately the laptop has been handed down a couple of times and so the original disc has long been lost. I have tried downloading the ISO from the Microsoft software download page however the website returns an error message...
  4. Questions about upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Questions about upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10: Well, Windows 7 is now at "End of Life" and I'm fighting with myself about upgrading. I mostly have some questions. 1. Will my computer, a HP Compaq 6000 Pro Microtower be able to handle an upgrade to Windows 10. From what I'm hearing it should accept my product key from...
  5. Questions about upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Questions about upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10: Well, Windows 7 is now at "End of Life" and I'm fighting with myself about upgrading. I mostly have some questions. 1. Will my computer, a HP Compaq 6000 Pro Microtower be able to handle an upgrade to Windows 10. From what I'm hearing it should accept my product key from...
  6. Question about server domain and Windows 7

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Question about server domain and Windows 7: What is the difference if I create a folder and share it in my Windows 7 (workstation) and if I do the same thing in my server (domain controller)? I created a folder in my domain controller(windows server) and I gave this folder full control to everyone. After that I log in...
  7. Question about server domain and Windows 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about server domain and Windows 7: What is the difference if I create a folder and share it in my Windows 7 (workstation) and if I do the same thing in my server (domain controller)? I created a folder in my domain controller(windows server) and I gave this folder full control to everyone. After that I log in...
  8. Revert to Windows 7

Revert to Windows 7: Upgrade to Windows 10 2 weeks ago, fine except 2 progs I use won't work in WIndows 10, plus one is no longer supported. Since I still have the Windows.old folder, and within the 4 week option I should be able to restore Windows 7. However within Settings/Recovery where I...
  9. Questions about dual boot with Windows 10 and Windows 7

Questions about dual boot with Windows 10 and Windows 7: Hello TenForums, first post from a forum lurker new to Windows 10. I've been using Windows 7 Home for years and found Sevenforums very helpful just like this forum. I have read this thread and other tutorials about this topic on other sites/blogs and still have a few question...
  10. Question about reverting back to Windows 7

Question about reverting back to Windows 7: Hi to all forum members. I have just now upgraded my Windows 7 Acer Aspire 5542G laptop to Windows 10. I do know that I can revert back to Windows 7 and then re-activate Windows 10 at a later date. My question is, if I do revert back to Windows 7 then do a factory reset on my...