Windows 10: Question about Securom

Discus and support Question about Securom in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; So I've upgraded to Windows 10 awhile ago now and I've really been enjoying the new OS. However I have an older game that is having some problems... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Arily, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Arily Win User

Question about Securom

So I've upgraded to Windows 10 awhile ago now and I've really been enjoying the new OS. However I have an older game that is having some problems running. I would roll back to Windows 8.1 but that option is no longer available to me in the settings under update and recovery and recovery section. Plus I'd rather not have to downgrade to Windows 8.1 as I'm really enjoying Windows 10.
    The game was updated in the middle of 2014 to work with Windows 8.1 but since then it has been made clear that there will be no more support for this game.
    The game is The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection (threw Origin).
    I had virtually no problem downloading and installing the game. The game starts up perfectly fine and seems to run smoothly, but I am having a problem with pausing. It occurs when in the Build/Buy catalog and switching from one active Sim to another. Also a few times the game has completely froze and I've had to manually shut it down.
    I've posted on many different support forums and have tried to obtain help yet every tweak and suggestion I've tried nothing has solved my specific situation.
    Once while I was trying to obtain some support someone had told me that Windows 10 is no compatible with Securom. I've done some research on Securom and seen a couple articles where you can remove Securom from The Sims 2 games. What I am confused about is a few articles were stating how to remove both the Securom and the game alltogether. Another article stated after removing the Securom not to run the game from the CD or .exe file anymore as it will reinstall the Securom. So I'm confused...am I able to remove the Securom and still play the game? If so how do I run the game if not threw the CD or .exe file?

Besides Securom I've done a lot of troubleshooting with this game. I don't even know if Securom is the problem here but I thought it would be something to look into.
    I've tried the 4GB patch. I've manually updated my Graphics Rule files within the game directory to fix any issues with the graphics card if any. I've increased the Texture Memory. I've manually turned Anisotropic Filtering to 4x. I've added this string "-CPUCount:1" to the end of the target in properties window of the .exe
    I've removed all custom content cleared all the caches and still I have the same problem.
    I've attempted to contact EAGames support but it's been down for a week for me. I've attempted to contact Microsoft and their simple instruction was to check if the game was compatible. Which of course it isn't I know it's not exactly compatible but there has to be a way to make it work or work more smoothly than it already is.

My last attempt was to dual boot Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 and transfer the whole entire game over there. This has helped but you can still notice a stutter. Plus it's annoying having to restart the computer to switch from one OS to the next. There just has to be a simpler way I know it! Someone will fix it somehow! Even if I have to download a third-party mod I'll do it! I'll do anything to hold onto this 11 year old game that I love! If someone, anyone can help save the game and help the many members of The Sims 2 community I'd be eternally grateful!

Thanks for reading, and if you need anymore information don't hesitate to ask!

:)

Arily, Sep 19, 2015
  2. Silly541 Win User

I need help with a game that uses disk based DRM

So the game in question has the either the SafeDisk or SecuROM and I was wondering: Is there a way I can turn off the disk based DRM blocking? Also I am running on Windows 10 obviously

Silly541, Sep 19, 2015
  3. Games no longer work on Windows 10

It's because Windows 10 no longer allows the installation of dodgy DRMs like older versions of SecuROM. So if you have older games, in a non digital format (like CDs or DVDs) with some form of DRM like SecuRom or SafeDisk, they will likely not work.

lordcookies, Sep 19, 2015
  4. Question about Securom

Hi!

The latest version of Windows has made some changes to the way it handles security, and the upshot of this is that deep-level programs like DRM are denied the access they need to function. In many ways this is a much safer way for the OS to work, but it does mean that games using SecuROM or SafeDisc just won’t run. As the DRM technology is no longer used or supported, we don’t expect to see patches that fix this problem any time soon, if at all.

On the SecuRom Support Side is a List which games supported with Patches etc.

SecuROM™ Support Website - Support for popular titles

Cluster Head, Sep 19, 2015
  5. Hi!

The latest version of Windows has made some changes to the way it handles security, and the upshot of this is that deep-level programs like DRM are denied the access they need to function. In many ways this is a much safer way for the OS to work, but it does mean that games using SecuROM or SafeDisc just won’t run. As the DRM technology is no longer used or supported, we don’t expect to see patches that fix this problem any time soon, if at all.

On the SecuRom Support Side is a List which games supported with Patches etc.

SecuROM™ Support Website - Support for popular titles

More Information about Windows 10 and SecuRom:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/0...s-microsoft-2/

Cluster Head, Sep 19, 2015
  6. Arily Win User
    I've email the support team of Securom.

Very sad and don't know what else to then. Hate to say goodbye to my favorite game. Old yet still one of the best games made.

Arily, Sep 19, 2015
  7. There *is* one thing noone has explicitly suggested yet, probably because it's a violation of forum rules...................you can try to use a cracked exe file that completely bypasses both the disc and SecuROM. I have alot of old games on disc (over 1000) and I commonly use cracks to play even though I own the games. I'm just too lazy to mount an ISO (which consumes much more space than an exe file). Since you own a legal copy, I see nothing wrong with using files of dubious origin to play what you've paid for.

AnonVendetta, Sep 20, 2015
  8. Arily Win User

Question about Securom

So your solution would be to remove all the securom and use a no cd .exe file to play the game? How do I remove the securom completely without harming the game?

Arily, Sep 21, 2015
  9. Removing SecuROM isn't needed, that's probably far beyond your skill level, something only a coder/programmer/hacker/reverse engineer/software engineer could do. Using a no CD exe won't harm the game (as long as it contains no malware, which is very rare), and it *bypasses* SecuROM. For all intents and purposes, SecuROM is essentially removed when you do this, as if it doesn't exist. The same concept applies to SafeDisc, StarForce, etc. One thing though, make sure the crack you use is the same as your game's version/patch number. So if the latest release for *game here* is v1.1, make sure the crack exe has the same version (the info will usually be posted on wherever you got the exe). You might be able to get away with using a different version exe, but the game may act weirdly, not launch, crash, etc if you do this.

AnonVendetta, Sep 22, 2015
  10. Arily Win User
    Not to toot my own horn but I'm very skilled at the computer, taught myself all I know. I just really like researching and making sure I'm doing the proper thing before I dig on into it.

I went ahead and obtained a No-CD .exe file (need to search for a better one though) and used a couple tools to completely remove Securom from my system and from the registry.

OMG it worked! I'm so happy you saved my SIMS!!! Virtual HUGS!!!

Arily, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Question about Securom

1. Question about Securom - Similar Threads - Question Securom

2. Question about the authenticator app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about the authenticator app: Is there a way to only use microsoft authenticator only after I have been inactive or logged out or turn it off? It gets in the way of business and work hours when it gets busy and I need to stop everything to authenticate once again. It is unacceptable in my opinion and also...
  3. Question about the authenticator app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about the authenticator app: Is there a way to only use microsoft authenticator only after I have been inactive or logged out or turn it off? It gets in the way of business and work hours when it gets busy and I need to stop everything to authenticate once again. It is unacceptable in my opinion and also...
  4. Question about the authenticator app

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. I don't even know how to ask this question...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I don't even know how to ask this question...: I have an Hp Envy 360 that I am using. Windows 10 is installed, and I was not having any problems at all and then about 2 weeks ago I all f a sudden can't connect to the internet according to the messages that pop up whenever I try to log on to a Microsoft account through the...
  6. I don't even know how to ask this question...

I don't even know how to ask this question...: I have an Hp Envy 360 that I am using. Windows 10 is installed, and I was not having any problems at all and then about 2 weeks ago I all f a sudden can't connect to the internet according to the messages that pop up whenever I try to log on to a Microsoft account through the...
  7. I don't even know how to ask this question...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. To answer your question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    To answer your question: When I try to log into the administrator portal. I get a message that says Personal accounts aren't allowed. But I will try scrolling down to the bottom of the page on the Azure portal....
  9. To answer your question

To answer your question: When I try to log into the administrator portal. I get a message that says Personal accounts aren't allowed. But I will try scrolling down to the bottom of the page on the Azure portal....
  10. Question Regarding Win 11 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question Regarding Win 11 update: Hello,I recently mistakenly opted for the free upgrade to Windows 11 by clicking "yes". However, I haven't proceeded with the update as I didn't want it in the first place. Now, I find myself constantly prompted to restart my computer and update to Windows 11, version 22H2,...