Windows 10: question about shuting down and or safely remove ext usb hard drives

Discus and support question about shuting down and or safely remove ext usb hard drives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; general question is when shutting down the screen show what ever app is preventing shut down (why can't windows just spell out write there what app is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dmesal, Apr 22, 2016.

1. dmesal Win User

question about shuting down and or safely remove ext usb hard drives

general question is when shutting down the screen show what ever app is preventing shut down (why can't windows just spell out write there what app is hanging)

same goes for safely removing external USB hard drives (something is still active WHAT IS STILL ACTIVE) wish they (MS) would just spell it out.

DME

:)

dmesal, Apr 22, 2016

2. External hard drive

I've had success doing this - have computer turned off. Plug in external hard drive to USB port. Then plug ext hard drive to electric power. Then power up computer. On 'My PC' screen ext hard drive is shown. I can forward info to it by selecting info,
    R click - from menu that comes 'send to' - ext hard drive's name. Info goes to hard drive, even indicates if there is duplicates & gives you option to ignore it, etc. I can also from 'My PC' screen, click on external hard drive and observe, edit , etc info
    on it. When I am done, I do not use the option to 'safely remove device'. Instead I turn computer off, wait until I am sure both computer and external hard drive are off, then I'll disconnect external drive from USB port, then from electric power. Doing
    it this way I have success with my Seagate and WD My Book external hard drives. Trish

TrisheBear, Apr 22, 2016
  3. Safely remove USB and SD drives

Thank you for the speedy reply. I do not have stacked carets--only one. Customizing icons is no longer available to me (I have just discovered). There is nothing to show that I have inserted a USB drive. What now please?

William Casper, Apr 22, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

The OS does in Task Manager and also in Resource Manager. It has been that way since the days of XP, that those two choices are there for this kind of reason.

bro67, Apr 22, 2016
Thema:

1. question about shuting down and or safely remove ext usb hard drives - Similar Threads - question shuting down

2. laptop shuted down by itself, BSOD, hard drive health at 10%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    laptop shuted down by itself, BSOD, hard drive health at 10%: hi idk how it works in this website question but i have some problems and idk how to fix it, in 11th july when i got BSOD while watching inanimate insanity object show and the fatal error says "video dxgkrnl fatal error" so i though it was fine that maybe it was too much for...
  3. laptop shuted down by itself, BSOD, hard drive health at 10%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    laptop shuted down by itself, BSOD, hard drive health at 10%: hi idk how it works in this website question but i have some problems and idk how to fix it, in 11th july when i got BSOD while watching inanimate insanity object show and the fatal error says "video dxgkrnl fatal error" so i though it was fine that maybe it was too much for...
  4. laptop shuted down by itself, BSOD, hard drive health at 10%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Question about external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about external hard drive: I have an external hard drive and I'm using BitLocker on it. What will happen to it if I connect to the computer using windows under 10? Can I access this?...
  6. Question about external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about external hard drive: I have an external hard drive and I'm using BitLocker on it. What will happen to it if I connect to the computer using windows under 10? Can I access this?...
  7. A question about a recovery usb drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A question about a recovery usb drive: Hi, so I am posting this because my computer isn't too new but it is still running 10 smoothly. But since it isnt too new now, it may stop responding, lag, not boot properly, give errors, etc . There are some trojans that overwrite your MBR like it happened in 2016. I may...
  8. How to get permission to remove a USB hard drive safely?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to get permission to remove a USB hard drive safely?: This problem has recurred in various Windows systems since XP, occasionally solved temporarily and then reoccurring. When I click on the icon in the notification are to safely remove hardware, and select the USB bridge that has a hard drive connected, Windows denies...
  9. Safe removal of usb drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Safe removal of usb drive: How do you safely remove usb drive from computer on Window 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/safe-removal-of-usb-drive/8e1ea4eb-bfe9-4e58-866a-292b3c94ac03
  10. A question about USB drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A question about USB drives: Hey, Don't know if this a dumb question or not but I'm asking just because I'm curious. Deleted data still stays on a drive, right? At least until it's overwritten by another thing? When I plug a flash drive or even a phone via USB in a PC and delete a file from there, is...