Windows 10: Question about transfering old user profile to new.

Discus and support Question about transfering old user profile to new. in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Before I make a mess of things, I thought I had better ask. This all started because I like to use Internet Explorer. It simply would not load. I... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by theweav, Oct 17, 2017.

1. theweav Win User

Question about transfering old user profile to new.

Before I make a mess of things, I thought I had better ask. This all started because I like to use Internet Explorer. It simply would not load. I believe I tried every fix on the web. One of the suggestions was to create a new User Profile. I did that and now Internet Explorer is working. My question is about moving the AppData folder over. Apparently I will have to reinstall all of my apps and programs in this new profile. Is there anything I need to know before I transfer AppData over. I hope that after I transfer all these folders over I will still have Internet Explorer. I guess I will have to check on it as I move things over. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

:)

theweav, Oct 17, 2017
  2. Argel Obm Win User

Mixed Reality Portal not loading

The system files of your original user profile may be corrupted that is why Mixed Reality Profile is not working. If you want to keep using the Mixed Reality Profile, we suggest you use the new account and delete the original account. Before deleting original,
    you need to transfer all of your files from your old account to the new account. After transferring your files, you can delete your old account.

If you still have any questions, kindly reply to this thread.

Argel Obm, Oct 17, 2017
  3. Why is the insert key not allowing me to change typing mode?

Thank you for the update. In this case, try to check if the issue is caused by a corrupted user profile. User profile can become corrupted because of a lot of things. The good thing is you can always create a new user profile and transfer the files from
    your old user profile to the new one.

Try to create a new user profile with administrator privileges or if you have a spare admin account, you can log in to that account and create a new user account.

Once you have verified that the issue was due to a corrupted user profile, you can transfer your data from the old user account to the newly created one.

Keep us in the loop.

Aileen Alf, Oct 17, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

I cant see what you could gain by trying to do that. Those folders cannot be used like that.

Before doing anything that could severely compromise your PC, I hope you have protected yourself by creating a disk image (Macrium reflect (free) ) so you can restore your system to a previous working state easily, quickly and without technical help when things go horribly wrong.

We continually advise people to do that as a matter of routine for Windows, and all other disks and partitions, so they can even recover from a failing disk (and there have been a few of those).

dalchina, Oct 17, 2017
  5. theweav Win User
    Thanks. I keep current backups. My question is: How do you know what files to move over from AppData? When the new user account is created. the Local folder is already populated. Do I just add the old Local data to it? Also , that is the only folder in the new AppData folder. Do I just copy over the Local Low and the Roaming folders from the old account?

theweav, Oct 17, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Why do you think it would be useful to move any of that at all?
    That's not something users would be expected to manage or delve into in the normal course of things.

In terms of what might be of interest there, if you knew exactly what you were doing for a given program, some store data there that can be copied and used in another installation of that program.

Whilst a disk image is also a complete backup of the data on the partitions and disks imaged, it is not true that backing up files and folders achieves the same thing as disk imaging.

Disk imaging can, e.g allow you to restore your whole Windows to a new disk exactly as was.

dalchina, Oct 17, 2017
  7. theweav Win User
    Thanks for responding. My only reason for doing this was to get Internet Explorer working. Since I had tried everything I could find on the web to fix IE, it was recommended to add a new User profile. I did get IE by doing this. I thought I could just copy the AppData folder over from my old profile, but obviously it's not that simple. Since I'm not an IT person I think I will just stick with Firefox.

theweav, Oct 18, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Wise decision. Have you tried unticking IE here, restarting and reselecting it?

Question about transfering old user profile to new. [​IMG]

And via Internet Options in the Control Panel you can reset IE (Advanced tab) and disable add-ons (Programs, Manage Add-ons)

dalchina, Oct 18, 2017
  9. theweav Win User
    Yeah, several times. Thanks.

theweav, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Question about transfering old user profile to new. - Similar Threads - Question transfering old

2. Questions about user info backup or user profile merging

in Windows 10 Customization
    Questions about user info backup or user profile merging: Hi, I'm having some problems with administrative privileges for a while with my user and today I discovered that my courent user was not the default administartor one and that profile was deactivated. I have reacativated it and all the problems I had were not present...
  3. Question about Administrator access to other user's profile.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about Administrator access to other user's profile.: I have been setting up and using Administrator and Standard user Local Accounts since before the Windows XP Era. I've come across a behavior in which I could use a more detailed explanation. As you know, if you are logged in as an administrator user, and you navigate to the...
  4. Question about Administrator access to other user's profile.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about Administrator access to other user's profile.: I have been setting up and using Administrator and Standard user Local Accounts since before the Windows XP Era. I've come across a behavior in which I could use a more detailed explanation. As you know, if you are logged in as an administrator user, and you navigate to the...
  5. Question about transferring windows 10 to a new motherboard.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question about transferring windows 10 to a new motherboard.: Hey I have a question about transferring windows 10 to a new motherboard, I have an activated version of windows 10 on the pc I'm currently using but I want to switch it to a new motherboard, I have my Microsoft account linked and in the activation tab in my settings it says...
  6. Question about transferring windows 10 to a new motherboard.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about transferring windows 10 to a new motherboard.: Hey I have a question about transferring windows 10 to a new motherboard, I have an activated version of windows 10 on the pc I'm currently using but I want to switch it to a new motherboard, I have my Microsoft account linked and in the activation tab in my settings it says...
  7. Question about transferring windows 10 to a new motherboard.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Question about the new Microsoft Edge and profiles

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about the new Microsoft Edge and profiles: As much as I hate to admit it, the new browser is fantastic. The browser itself is blazingly fast, and synchronisation between different machines is almost instantaneous. That said, something weird is happening. I primarily use two machines (desktop and laptop), and two...
  9. Question about transferring license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question about transferring license: One of my PCs, which I built myself, originally ran Windows 7, which I later updated to Windows 10 while it was still available as a free download. This PC has now reaching end of life and I'm wondering if there will be any issues using the same product key on a new computer....
  10. Question about old programs.

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about old programs.: Hi! I'm a little confused, just started using Win10. I noticed there's a Windows.old folder with everything from before the upgrade, I've been saving some files from there but just when I need to do some serious cleaning with, say, CCleaner, it just analyzes my notebook...