Windows 10: Question about updating Intel GPU drivers (Laptop)

Discus and support Question about updating Intel GPU drivers (Laptop) in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; My laptop is a Lenovo Z50-70. Intel 4400 Family GPU and Nvidia GT 840M. I'm running Windows 10. The latest driver for the Intel 4400 Family is dated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by doriandiaconu, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Question about updating Intel GPU drivers (Laptop)

My laptop is a Lenovo Z50-70. Intel 4400 Family GPU and Nvidia GT 840M. I'm running Windows 10.

The latest driver for the Intel 4400 Family is dated from 6/23/2017: Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

Yet every time I upgrade to a new Insider Preview my driver is downgraded to a version from March (it's the one before the last one).

The one listed on the Lenovo driver site is dated from 25/07/2016.

Is it worth upgrading to the latest version of the drivers or should I stick to the one provided by WU? This is also a question I'd like to ask related to the Nvidia drivers. Even though they are left alone when updating should I install the ones from their site or should I stick to WU?

:)

doriandiaconu, Sep 1, 2017

2. Windows 10 update drivers GPU

My question is why windows update does not install the latest drivers for example GPU Intel and Nvidia ...I have hybrid GPU on my laptop.

Instead it installs older version even if the latest drivers are WHQL on Intel and Nvidia download section.

GabrielGeorgescuGG, Sep 1, 2017
  3. Longxi Y. Win User
    [SPECIFIC QUESTION/REQUEST]Prevent using dedicated graphic card for Windows 10 desktop for Optimus laptop

IMPORTANT: This question is very specific and targets a particular problem/bug, which I have already come up with the cause of the problem but no way of fixing it without Windows 10 development team releasing a new update.

I have a MSI GE73VR 6RF gaming laptop, which has Intel i7-6700HQ and NVIDIA GTX 1060 and Windows 10 Pro installed. The laptop, like almost every other laptop, uses NVIDIA Optimus and laptop display is directly connected to Intel integrated GPU(Intel HD Graphics
    530).

But unlike most of other laptops, this laptop has an HDMI port and a mini-DisplayPort which are both connected directly to the NVIDIA dedicated GPU, i.e. when using external monitors, the Windows Desktop is handled by NVIDIA GPU.

During these past days of usage, while using laptop built-in monitor, as you aware that NVIDIA GPU is shutted down when there are no application using the GPU.
    Windows 10 tries to boot up NVIDIA GPU whenever I do a display-relation action, such as setting up Wallpaper Slideshow and click "Next Wallpaper", or clicking "System" button in Windows 10 Settings, etc., causing a about-a-second delay/stutter
    which is more than annoying, that the frequent short time usage of dedicated GPU will potentially damage the hardware
    . And it is clear that this is either a Windows bug, or Intel HD Graphics driver bug, or NVIDIA driver bug since I did a full re-install
    of Windows 10 Pro(with Anniversary Update, 1607) and haven't install any third-party software.

Longxi Y., Sep 1, 2017
  4. AddRAM Win User

Question about updating Intel GPU drivers (Laptop)

Maybe the new Insider Preview you install just reverts to that older driver, not sure why. *Huh

As far as nVidia drivers go, they come out with a new driver every 2 weeks it seems, it usually is best to get the video drivers directly from the laptop manufacturer`s website, but there is no reason you can`t get the latest from nvidia and give them a try. Is it worth it, maybe if you are a gamer.

Do you have GeForce Experience installed, it will let you know when a new driver is available, you will get a quick small pop out window on the bottom right of the screen when you turn on the PC.

AddRAM, Sep 2, 2017
  5. Helmut Win User
    Just let Windows updates get on with it, the Graphics drivers are installed in the right order.
    It does not matter what date they are.

On mine they are respectively dated Nov 2016 (4549) for the HD driver, and Dec 2016 (376.54) for the Nvidia.
    That was done in April when the major Windows 10 version update was.

It all works fine, no problemo. There is nothing in the more recent drivers that affects my application installs.

I would rather let other Desktop PC gamers test latest drivers for some obscure game I don't have.

For the vast majority fiddling about with drivers is a waste of time, you gain nothing.

This is an Optimus Laptop not a Desktop.

Helmut, Sep 2, 2017
  6. I'd stay away from Windows Update graphics drivers if possible.

RoasterMen, Sep 2, 2017
  7. Helmut Win User
    The Intel and Nvidia drivers come from those companies and are lodged with MS and are subsequently installed by Windows updates.

Helmut, Sep 2, 2017
  8. bobkn Win User

If your laptop allows you to install drivers directly from nVidia and Intel, I'd use the latest ones. (Some laptops use custom device IDs, so the generic installers may not work. Apparently you don't have that problem.)

That's mainly because I'm a little compulsive. The Windows Update drivers originate with the third parties, not Microsoft, and they ought to be OK, if you don't need the bug fixes in newer drivers. (For nVidia, they usually seem to support new games.)

bobkn, Sep 3, 2017
  9. Winuser Win User
    If your laptop is running ok with the Windows Update drivers I would leave it alone. If it ain't broke don't fix it. *Smile

Winuser, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Question about updating Intel GPU drivers (Laptop) - Similar Threads - Question updating Intel

2. Question about Monitor Drivers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about Monitor Drivers: Hi all! Thanks for reading my post, I know this is not an issue, but I would like to know a little bit more regarding this topic.I recently purchased a new Monitor and after getting it working after a refusal to work via Display port, I got it fully functions, and it has been...
  3. Question about GPU video drivers and Windows Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about GPU video drivers and Windows Update: How often do GPU drivers get updated via Windows Update? Is it every time WHQL one gets released or even less?My goal is to reduce the need for 3rd party stuff and installations. Having WU get it for me would be ideal. Though I really don't know how often that...
  4. Question about GPU video drivers and Windows Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about GPU video drivers and Windows Update: How often do GPU drivers get updated via Windows Update? Is it every time WHQL one gets released or even less?My goal is to reduce the need for 3rd party stuff and installations. Having WU get it for me would be ideal. Though I really don't know how often that...
  5. Question about custom driver for intel hd3000 by nIGHmAYOR

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Question about custom driver for intel hd3000 by nIGHmAYOR: So - Just as in the thread and with my laptop specs - is it safe to install those drivers with the OC mode turned on? I kinda want to squish a little more from this laptop, and I feel like I can, it suprised me many times (games like COD Black Ops running in 30 fps etc) 174443
  6. Intel RST Driver Question

Intel RST Driver Question: I've never been able to find an explanation...closest think was win-raid.com. My desktop has a Z270 chipset and my new Dell XPS 15 9500 has a mobile 400-series chipset. Right now I'm running Intel RST driver version 18.30.3.1148 on both. Based on what I read the 400-series...
  7. Question about Samsung display driver update

Question about Samsung display driver update: Windows update for several months now has failed to install a Samsung display driver on my Asus laptop. It always fails with the same message: Windows Update Error Encountered A current driver on your PC may be better than the driver we're trying to install. We'll keep...
  8. Nvidia GPU but laptop also has INTEL GPU drivers

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Nvidia GPU but laptop also has INTEL GPU drivers: New Dell laptop with Windows 10Pro. Laptop has an optional NVidia MX250 GPU. I installed that latest NV drivers. I also went into the Dell control manager system where it looked for updates for drivers. It updated A few drivers incl and update to BIOS but It also seemed to...
  9. Question about Windows Driver System Update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Question about Windows Driver System Update: Hi so every few minutes my antivirus system, AVG, goes off with this message: http://prntscr.com/pv3ida I followed the folder path and it led me to this http://prntscr.com/pv3ihw Should I attempt to delete these files or make an exception in AVG? AVG's deep virus scan did...
  10. About Intel drivers

About Intel drivers: Hello everyone. My PC has Intel Bay Trail graphics and I have been using the standard AHCI driver provided by Microsoft. My system runs perfectly so is there any need to install the proprietary Intel driver? Thanks in advance. P.S. I have installed a fresh Windows 10 1809...