Windows 10: Question about upgraded license

Discus and support Question about upgraded license in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My laptop is running 10 home, upgraded from 8.1 core. I have a retail license for Windows 10 Pro. Will installing Windows 10 Pro affect my eligibility... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Maltesespace, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Question about upgraded license

My laptop is running 10 home, upgraded from 8.1 core. I have a retail license for Windows 10 Pro. Will installing Windows 10 Pro affect my eligibility to clean install Windows 10 Home (based on my upgrade from OEM 8.1 Core) in case I want to sell my laptop and use my retail 10 Pro license on another computer?

Thanks

:)

Maltesespace, Oct 11, 2015

2. Question about licensing

Thanks Andre

RickySandhu, Oct 11, 2015
  3. Question about licensing

Thank you Rob. I will check TechNet and report back my findings and the eventual direction I decide to take.

RickySandhu, Oct 11, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Question about upgraded license

As far as I know once the license is activated it is associated with the specific hardware. If you want to sell your computer, you could install Windows 10 Home again (maybe you need to first install 8.1 core and then upgrade to 10 Home). Then install Windows 10 Pro on the new computer and activate by phone, if automatic activation is not possible. When asked you can tell that your old computer is damaged and you replaced it and maybe the Microsoft representative is kind enough to give you the activation code. I would not risk it! What to you need the Pro version for? Unless you want to join a domain there is little use for a typical user. If you need to disable or postpone Windows Updates, there are other hacks for that.

spapakons, Oct 11, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    I am 99% sure you will be able to go back to a clean install of Windows 10 Home. I am dual booting pro and home now on my computer, upgraded to Pro first, then did 7 Home Premium on a second partition and upgraded that to 10 Home. Haven't done a clean install of Pro, though, which was the first one on my computer.

NavyLCDR, Oct 11, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    Yes, in theory a retail license can be activated 2-3 times when you upgrade your computer, but it is a risk. Don't forget that the key is stored in the BIOS for OEM computers and the new owner may try upgrading to Windows 10 Pro for free before you can take advantage of the license for your own computer. So don't use it, unless you need the Pro features, or you are not going to sell it soon.

spapakons, Oct 11, 2015
  7. Thanks guys!
    The whole purpose is that I install 10 home for the new owner. I won't tell him I have a pro licence as I want to use that on my new laptop *Wink. (Saving up for the new Dell xps 15 released the other day.)

Maltesespace, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Question about upgraded license

1. Question about upgraded license - Similar Threads - Question upgraded license

2. A question about licenses

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A question about licenses: Well I do often format my pc when needed ( long time no clean for example ) or when i change a core Pc component like motherboard or CPU. This time i haven't formatted my pc but changed motherboard and cpu and seems that suddenly that i do not own a windows license because...
  3. question about upgrade.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    question about upgrade.: If my newly bought computer is not capable to Windows 11, can I go ahead and use the ISO or update assistant? just like in OS 10 before? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-upgrade/e5d89736-7ce2-469e-8042-e1aac8ce316d
  4. question about upgrade.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    question about upgrade.: If my newly bought computer is not capable to Windows 11, can I go ahead and use the ISO or update assistant? just like in OS 10 before? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-upgrade/e5d89736-7ce2-469e-8042-e1aac8ce316d
  5. A question about windows License

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    A question about windows License: I had\have an Acer Office PC that originally came with Windows 8.1 that got upgraded to W10,I don't have a key and I'm guessing the license was tied to the motherboard.When I built my gaming PC I tied the license to my Microsoft account so I wouldn't have to buy a windows...
  6. Question about digital license

Question about digital license: Hello, so recently I decided to upgrade a 4 year old pre-built PC my brother gave me last year. I plan on changing almost every part on the PC(including the motherboard.) I was able to link my Microsoft account to the digital license. My concern is, since it was a pre-built,...
  7. Question about win10 license

Question about win10 license: Hello. I just bought myself a copy of Win10 Home. Shortly after I was told that it was a waste of money because Windows 10 is free. I can see that on Microsoft's site there's a download for it, but is it something you still need to purchase a key for to activate? I am a...
  8. A question about digital licenses

A question about digital licenses: Hey, If I activate Windows 10 Pro on a laptop with a digital license linked to account, why am I able to retain Windows 10 Pro if I reset the laptop and use the generic windows key for pro? Is Windows Pro baked in to the motherboard? Thanks submitted by /u/brybery21...
  9. Question about transferring license

Question about transferring license: One of my PCs, which I built myself, originally ran Windows 7, which I later updated to Windows 10 while it was still available as a free download. This PC has now reaching end of life and I'm wondering if there will be any issues using the same product key on a new computer....
  10. Questions about Win 10 License

Questions about Win 10 License: I got 2 questions about Win 10 license.... 1) Is it cheaper to buy a Win 10 product key now or after July 29th? 2) I'm not able to find a Win 10 retail version. Does anyone know where to find one? 57528