Windows 10: Question about using Rufus to create a Bootable USB flash drive

Discus and support Question about using Rufus to create a Bootable USB flash drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, Having had a problem using the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive Ive decided to use the Media Creation Tool... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sportsfan148, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Question about using Rufus to create a Bootable USB flash drive

Hi all,
    Having had a problem using the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive Ive decided to use the Media Creation Tool to download the Windows 10 ISO and then use Rufus to create the bootable USB flash drive.
    After downloading Rufus onto my laptop. Is it better to insert the USB flash drive first before running Rufus or should I run the Rufus utility first and only when Rufus is open, then insert the USB flash drive?
    Ive been to the Rufus homepage and there arent any tutorial instructions there at all.
    Ive seen it mentioned on a couple of sites that everything must be done in the correct order or there can be problems. The trouble is ive seen instructions to insert the usb flash drive before running Rufus and also insert the usb flash drive after opening Rufus!!
    Does it make any difference at what point the USB flash drive is inserted or is it irrelevant?
    Thanks

:)

sportsfan148, Dec 13, 2017

2. Window 10 Media Creation Tool errors with 0x80070456 0xA0019 (I *know* there are about 1000 threads about exactly this already)

If the media Creation tool doesn't work, pull up the ISO from the Microsoft website using some workaround and then subsequently use Rufus to Create a USB Flash Drive: Workaround: Windows 10 creators update available to Install now for global users, ISOs also released - Your Windows Guide
    Use rufus after download-Step 2 Lists in Detail: Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10

Sumit Dhiman2, Dec 13, 2017
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Dec 13, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Question about using Rufus to create a Bootable USB flash drive

Hi, you might find this helpful:
    Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

There is a way to create a bootable drive without using Rufus:
    Creating a bootable USB drive.

with thanks to @NavyLCDR
    To reliably make a bootable USB flash drive from an ISO file, do this:

Plug the drive into a USB port of a functioning Windows PC.

Open a command prompt.
    Run diskpart.

Once diskpart is running, enter the following commands in sequence:

list disk
    select disk #
    - replace # with the actual disk number of the USB flash drive
    clean
    - this will erase the selected drive, make sure it is the USB flash drive!
    create part pri
    format fs=fat32 quick
    active
    exit
    exit

Then mount your ISO file.
    (By default you can simply right click the iso file, and click Mount. However, Mount will not be available if iso files have been associated with a different program).

Copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive.

(If stuck you can open the iso with 7-zip, a free program).

Discussion here:
    Reinstall Windows 10 from DVD but no DVD drive[/U][/URL]
    - includes content of flash drive.

dalchina, Dec 13, 2017
  5. Yeah..thats the link Ive read on here..the tutorial you've highlighted at the top. That tells you to insert the USB flash drive and then run Rufus afterwards. Some other sites say run/open Rufus first and then insert the USB flash drive. That's why I asked if it matters which way around you do it?
    I'll stick to Rufus. I don't fancy the manual method using Diskpart

6. It does not matter. If there is no USB, Rufus will not show any device, once you insert it, it will popup.

TairikuOkami, Dec 13, 2017
  7. So Am I correct in thinking that most people just use the Media Creation Tool to download the Windows 10 ISO only...select Finish. Then use Rufus to make the bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive media using the Windows 10 ISO downloaded with the Media Creation Tool?
    The Media Creation Tool has always worked for me in the past to do the whole job but a couple of days ago I tried it ...it failed after wasting a few hours of downloading time. That's why I'm going to start using Rufus instead

8. Question about using Rufus to create a Bootable USB flash drive

TairikuOkami, Dec 13, 2017
  9. Ztruker Win User
    I always download the ISO then use Rufus to create the install flash drive(s) I need. Yes, I could do it manually, but why bother?

Ztruker, Dec 15, 2017
  10. Stitch194 Win User
    Stitch194, Dec 15, 2017
  11. Hi Ztruker. Do you use Microsofts Media Creation Tool to download the ISO selecting Create Installation Media for another PC and selecting the ISO image instead of the USB option? Then use Rufus to create the bootable USB flash drive. Thats the method I'm thinking of trying because I had a problem this week using the Media Creation Tool to do the whole process of creating Windows 10 USB flash drive installation media. Never had any problem with it before but this week the download went fine but then I got an error message while the Media Creation Tool was creating the media..it stopped at 50%

sportsfan148, Dec 15, 2017
  12. cereberus Win User
    No need to do it via 3rd party tools. See tutorial on this (Option 3) in tutorial section - link in post #8.

cereberus, Dec 15, 2017
  13. AddRAM Win User

Once you have the Iso you can use any method you want to create your installer.

You are one of the few or many who have issues with the Media Creation Tool, I never use it. I just download the Iso.

If you were just doing the upgrade and not a clean install, you could just download the Iso file, mount it and run setup.exe

AddRAM, Dec 15, 2017
  14. That takes about an hour and it fails sometimes, then you have to start over, downloading it directly takes ~5 mins.

TairikuOkami, Dec 15, 2017
  15. Hi,
    I used the media creation tool it worked fine to create a dvd installer too.
    But it is slow.

ThrashZone, Dec 15, 2017
Thema:

1. Question about using Rufus to create a Bootable USB flash drive - Similar Threads - Question using Rufus

2. Getting error while creating a bootable USB drive using Rufus. Please help.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Getting error while creating a bootable USB drive using Rufus. Please help.: I downloaded the latest available windows 10 iso file using the media creation tool. > Plugged the 32gb drive> Opened Rufus in Admin mode > selected the iso and everything > after a few seconds I'm getting either 1. error: device is already in use by another process or 2....
  3. Create a bootable USB flash drive using Diskpart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Create a bootable USB flash drive using Diskpart: Hi, Its great to see the addition of Option 4 (Diskpart method) in the Create Bootable USB flash drive to install Windows 10 Tutorial . Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 There's an extra command directly after the clean command, "convert mbr". Is this...
  4. Create a bootable USB flash drive using Diskpart

in Windows 10 Support
    Create a bootable USB flash drive using Diskpart: Hi, Its great to see the addition of Option 4 (Diskpart method) in the Create Bootable USB flash drive to install Windows 10 Tutorial . Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 There's an extra command directly after the clean command, "convert mbr". Is this...
  5. Using Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive

Using Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive: Hi All, Ive decided to use Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive instead of using the Media Creation Tool to create the Windows 10 media. Im just going to use the Media Creation Tool to download the iso image and diskpart to prepare the flash drive. Are the following...
  6. Unable to make bootable USB Flash Drive with Rufus 3.1

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to make bootable USB Flash Drive with Rufus 3.1: I don't know why but I am unable to make a bootable USB flash drive with Rufus 3.1. I remember doing it successfully a few years back but now I can't. I've watched several tutorial videos on YouTube, but still, it will not work. When I insert the flash drive into my PC or...
  7. New - Rufus v2.0.639 - Create bootable USB drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New - Rufus v2.0.639 - Create bootable USB drives: Version 2.0 (2015.03.03) Major UI improvements (improved font, new info field, no separate progress dialog, etc.) Add support for Windows To Go (when Rufus is running on Windows 8 or later) Add support for Grub4DOS and GRUB 2 based images (e.g. FreeNAS) Add portable...
  8. Query for others who use Rufus to create a bootable Win10 flash drive

Query for others who use Rufus to create a bootable Win10 flash drive: Ive been playing around with various methods for creating a Bootable Windows 10 flash drive to clean install Windows 10. Ive always used the Media Creation Tool to Download/Create the USB until recently it no longer works for me. You guys on here gave me instructions on...
  9. Creating bootable USB 3.0 Flash Drive...

Creating bootable USB 3.0 Flash Drive...: I have followed instructions to create my own Windows 10 To Go flash drive. I have two suitable USB 3.0 flash drives: Corsair Voyager GTX and Super Talent RC4, both 128 GB versions. The Corsair Voyager GTX is not a certified Windows To Go drive, whereas the Super Talent...
  10. Questions on creating Win10 Bootable Flash drive using Diskpart method

Questions on creating Win10 Bootable Flash drive using Diskpart method: Hi all, 1.When using Diskpart to create a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive is it not necessary to use the Assign command at all. Ive noticed some instructions where Assign is used and others where it isn't. What happens if I don't use the Assign command when preparing the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mediacreation tool v1903