Windows 10: Question About W10 Flash Drive

Discus and support Question About W10 Flash Drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am dual booting W10 and Ubuntu 14.04 on one computer and W7 and Ubuntu 14.04 on a Desktop. I have W10 on a Flash Drive that I made when I updated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by wvman80, May 17, 2016.

1. wvman80 Win User

Question About W10 Flash Drive

I am dual booting W10 and Ubuntu 14.04 on one computer and W7 and Ubuntu 14.04 on a Desktop.

I have W10 on a Flash Drive that I made when I updated this Dell 960 small form 64 bit computer from W7 Home to W10 as a test about 8 months ago. I am ready to update my Dell 960 64 bit desktop to W10.
    Do I need to update my Flash Drive before I do the update or are the W10 OS downloads all the same and I will need to download all updates after installation?

:)

wvman80, May 17, 2016
  2. JEBSWEB Win User

WINDOWS 10 SD CARD RECOGNITION

I was given a free MP3 MULTIMEDIA PLAYER "MP3 PLAYER; USB FLASH DISK".

(Had to add my own flash drive)

After inserting flash drive into player and connection to W10 laptop; W10 did not recognize

player/flash drive.

Whats up mon?

JEBSWEB, May 17, 2016
  3. DeeZeepc Win User
    W10 Downloading

Yes,I see that you can DL media tool to create w10 on CD or Flash, but my question was how to save on Hard drive? It asks you to opt either before continuing DL, if not it stalls you. A friend was updating on 8.1 and was able to save W10 on hard drive
    before clicking install, but we cannot find that link now.

DeeZeepc, May 17, 2016
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

5. wvman80 Win User
    Thank you. I thought that was what I should do but wanted to be sure. Thanks for the link.

wvman80, May 17, 2016
  6. ARC
    Arc Win User
    You are welcome. Let us know for any further questions.

7. wvman80 Win User
    Thank you. It will probably be after this weekend before I do this. I'm Old,Slow, and Steady, but I eventually get to where I'm going.*Smile

wvman80, May 18, 2016
  8. Question About W10 Flash Drive

Aside from your image being a little out of date, yes, you can use that install media on more than one PC. Depending on what version your installing though. There is one ISO for Home and Pro and one for Home Single language. Even if you had used that outdated image, Windows update would have made you current anyway. I prefer to have the latest image. It doesn't take long to download it so why not. I use the same ISO on all 4 of my PC's so it's just the one download for me.

alphanumeric, May 18, 2016
  9. wvman80 Win User
    Thank you for that information. That was a question I going to ask later.

wvman80, May 18, 2016
  10. wvman80 Win User
    I got back home and immediately had to got to hospital because of heart problems and had to stay several days. I just got home and thought I would bring this post up to date. I D/Led the Media Creation Tool and put it on my flash drive. I then made sure all W7 updates were current and all my bookmarks and passwords were current. I then tried to install W10 using Media but it hung on "checking updates". Tried the flash drive and had the same results. Went out for an hour and on return it was still checking. No matter how I tried to install W10 could not get past "checking updates". After searching for solution I found a way that worked and I now have W10 installed and running fine. I am in the process of fine tuning now.

This is what I did to install W10:
    First I disconnected from the internet and cut off my Bitdefender Anti-virus.

Then I followed these steps:

Leave the Windows 10 Setup window as is and try this:

1. Go to Services (Press Windows+R. This will prompt run dialogue box. In here, type services.msc) and stop the Windows Update Service.

2. Go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and delete all of its contents.

3. Restart the Windows Update Service.

4. Go back to the Windows 10 Setup window and you should see the process continue.

After I did that the installation went smoothly. I then restarted the Internet and installed all updates.

Everything is running good and no problems at this time.

Maybe this will help others who are having the same problem.

wvman80, May 25, 2016
  11. f14tomcat Win User
    @wvman80, Welcome to the Forums, a little belatedly! If you ever run into that issue again, Shawn (Brink) has a tutorial with a batch file to reset the Windows Update choking. Just thought I'd pass it on to you. Hope you're feeling lots better! TC

Windows Update - Reset in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

f14tomcat, May 25, 2016
  12. wvman80 Win User
    Thank you f14tomcat for the link. I have my sons two computers to update to W10. I now have two ways if I run into the same problem. Maybe others will read this and save themselves some time.
    As for my health--I'm doing better. Don't feel like doing anything strenuous, but I didn't do anything strenuous before. So I must be better.*Smile

wvman80, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Question About W10 Flash Drive - Similar Threads - Question W10 Flash

2. Question about flash drive speed degradation.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Question about flash drive speed degradation.: On my system, flash drives slow down with age. The worst example is a two or three month old 3.0 drive, which I've been using for the virtual drives of VMs, sometimes writes at less than 1MB/s. Is this kind of thing normal, and would switching to an SSD solve it? 172499
  3. Question about Linking Phone to W10 2004

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about Linking Phone to W10 2004: This morning upon booting up, the log in screen was missing the usual fun fact bullets about the background picture, including the top right selection where you can tell Microsoft if you like this picture or not. I assumed it was patch Tuesday because of the missing things....
  4. Question about Flash drive and storage utilities

Question about Flash drive and storage utilities: Does anyone know of any application that is GUI based that can feature all "Diskpart's" functions (especially the "clean" command)? submitted by /u/jesseinsf [link] [comments]...
  5. Question about reinstalling W10

Question about reinstalling W10: Hi. I have a Lenovo laptop which has come preinstalled with W10. I have connected it to wifi and Windows shows as "activated". However as there are a lot of unwanted preinstalled apps, I was considering reinstalling W10 from scratch using a bootable USB created from...
  6. Questions about W10 upgrade page

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Questions about W10 upgrade page: I can't move from 10240 to the next build via WU regardless of what I do (have done many things to try an make it work via windows update, all to no avail) I've reached the point of trying the Windows 10 site https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/soft...load/windows10 to upgrade to...
  7. Question about using Rufus to create a Bootable USB flash drive

Question about using Rufus to create a Bootable USB flash drive: Hi all, Having had a problem using the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive Ive decided to use the Media Creation Tool to download the Windows 10 ISO and then use Rufus to create the bootable USB flash drive. After downloading Rufus onto my...
  8. Question about loading W10 on a new unformatted drive

Question about loading W10 on a new unformatted drive: Hello all, My question is pretty straight forward. As soon as they are available, I plan to replace the Samsung 950 Pro in my desktop with a larger capacity 960 Pro. My computer is running UEFI BIOS. I used the Rufus media creation tool to create a bootable USB drive...
  9. Question about W10 Image.

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about W10 Image.: I usually back up my current system by making an image on another disk. I just did that, and thought I wonder if anyone's tested it for reliability. I mean is it still working as intended in W10 64? 26764
  10. A few Brief Questions about W10

in Windows 10 Support
    A few Brief Questions about W10: 1. There is a search bar at the bottom of my computer. It says search the web and windows.......I don't want it there. How do I get rid of it ? 2. What is box ? I clicked it on but it won't open.....should I delete it ? I unpinned the games, groove music, sports,...