Windows 10: Question about W10 Image.

Discus and support Question about W10 Image. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I usually back up my current system by making an image on another disk. I just did that, and thought I wonder if anyone's tested it for reliability.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SoxmisUK, Oct 17, 2015.

1. SoxmisUK Win User

Question about W10 Image.

I usually back up my current system by making an image on another disk.

I just did that, and thought I wonder if anyone's tested it for reliability. I mean is it still working as intended in W10 64?

:)

SoxmisUK, Oct 17, 2015
  2. audio.01 Win User

Questions about W10 upgrade

Hi, QPW_Test.

Thank you very much for your answer. I guess I didn't read the FAQ close enough. I do tend to page skim.

I'll make sure to remember to upgrade by the next July 29th.

Thanks again!!

audio.01, Oct 17, 2015
  3. Questions about W10 upgrade

It actually sounds like you have not fully read the FAQ or at least not this one:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/windows-10-faq

Since it mentions in several of the FAQs that you have to take advantage of free offer by July 29, 2016. After that you would have to pay for it, or whatever is going to be available in 2020.

Also in the FAQ is one that tells you that you can go rollback to your old operating system for one month (Windows 10 will remove the backup files after that time to free up space, and of course if you delete them {Windows.old, ...} you can't go back).

The part of your question that isn't stated in the FAQs is if you rollback to W7, and at a later time, can you upgrade to Windows 10 again (for free of course, since clearly you could buy it and do it). I think the answer would surprise most people. There
    isn't any direct reference to this so it is a bit of an educated guess on my part. First off the offer is clearly still valid within the first year, so doing the upgrade again should work. You might no longer have the "Get Windows 10" icon, but you can get
    update from here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10.
    But from what I have seen you would most likely be able to upgrade again even after the one year, at least while Microsoft is following the same policies at that time. Your case just seems like
    a variation of the clean install procedure.

When you upgrade Microsoft is recording (on their servers) what it needs to determine an unique "signature" for your device. Once that is done on the first install, you can reinstall on the same device whenever you like. During the clean/second/third/...
    install you just tell it to skip entering the product Id. Once you are fully installed and you connect your account to your Microsoft {online} account you used for the first install of Windows 10, it will match device up, and automatically activate the license
    again. In the past if you upgraded a previous Windows with a update version, and you wanted to do a clean install, you had to first reinstall the previous version and then install the update version, which is no longer needed for reinstalling on the same
    device for Windows 10.

Note that once you install Windows 10 on a device you can see it in your Microsoft account:

Sign in to your Microsoft account

A_User_Here, Oct 17, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

It still works in Windows 10 as good as it always has in the past. And Macrium Reflect Free continues to be better, as it always has in the past.

NavyLCDR, Oct 17, 2015
  5. SoxmisUK Win User
    How can you get better than a 100% image reproduction?

Just wondering. I mean it's always worked well for me and been great for recovering systems.

(Edit!) Ok just went and investigated. Why pay for software when the W1064 software is working fine for free.. ? I mean there it is decision made for me *Smile Cheers for the answer though.

SoxmisUK, Oct 17, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Macrium Reflect Free is free, hence the third word in the name.

NavyLCDR, Oct 17, 2015
  7. SoxmisUK Win User
    So do you have a vested interest in this company then? You do seem very particular about me getting that right.

No doubt there's a Free version somewhere.. So keep your hat on.

Been full of bugs though lately hasn't it? Bit scary when you consider that W10's own image making works fine. (By your own admission..) All I could find was references to a 30 day trial of Macrium Reflect and a pretty long history of bugs which is fine for any developing software I guess, and yes they do seem to be fixing them (alledgedly..) but I do prefer not running across bugs when I'm restoring an image of my disk, don't you?

I shan't be checking it out any further thank you.

SoxmisUK, Oct 17, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Put it this way. I don't know a single person who has used both Macrium Reflect Free and built in windows imaging that will say that built in windows imaging is better, although some will say windows imaging is easier because it has less options - and less capability. Is it good enough for some people? Yes.

I have used Macrium Reflect Free for years from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and never had it fail and never found a bug in it.

Anyway, I suppose you got your answer - Windows imaging works just as well in Windows 10 as it always has.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Question about W10 Image. - Similar Threads - Question W10 Image

2. Question about Image Backups.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about Image Backups.: I backed up my GPT windows system drive to a MBR hard drive through the windows built in tool. I have to revert to this backup and it keeps failing. Would converting the MBR drive to GPT make the system image restore work? If not what should I do? I have already ran DSKCHK on...
  3. Question about reinstalling W10

Question about reinstalling W10: Hi. I have a Lenovo laptop which has come preinstalled with W10. I have connected it to wifi and Windows shows as "activated". However as there are a lot of unwanted preinstalled apps, I was considering reinstalling W10 from scratch using a bootable USB created from...
  4. Question about bootable image

Question about bootable image: Hey guys, I thought I'd turn here and ask you lovely gurus about this. I used to work in the IT department if a rather large Sandwich shop in Chicago that had done something that I am trying to replicate. Long story short, the way they would setup and distribute the company...
  5. Question about imaging

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Question about imaging: Admittedly I am very lax on doing an image. I did a macrium one prob over a year ago and it took a long time to do my c: (SSD 400 gigs) and f: drive (mechanical HD 2 TB). Lack of spare time stops me doing it. My question is would you guys bother imaging your secondary drive....
  6. question about a system image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    question about a system image: I have a asus laptop i couldnt get my printer to work. well it came down to i have been infected with some very bad trojans and virus. they couldn have fixed it for 109 bucks but i dont have that kind of money. I have system Image on a external hdd. If i put that on my laptop...
  7. Questions about W10 upgrade page

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Questions about W10 upgrade page: I can't move from 10240 to the next build via WU regardless of what I do (have done many things to try an make it work via windows update, all to no avail) I've reached the point of trying the Windows 10 site https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/soft...load/windows10 to upgrade to...
  8. Question About W10 Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question About W10 Flash Drive: I am dual booting W10 and Ubuntu 14.04 on one computer and W7 and Ubuntu 14.04 on a Desktop. I have W10 on a Flash Drive that I made when I updated this Dell 960 small form 64 bit computer from W7 Home to W10 as a test about 8 months ago. I am ready to update my Dell 960...
  9. A few Brief Questions about W10

in Windows 10 Support
    A few Brief Questions about W10: 1. There is a search bar at the bottom of my computer. It says search the web and windows.......I don't want it there. How do I get rid of it ? 2. What is box ? I clicked it on but it won't open.....should I delete it ? I unpinned the games, groove music, sports,...
  10. This question is about inserting images in this forum?

in Windows 10 Support
    This question is about inserting images in this forum?: Hi I'd like to know how I insert an image in my posts without it repeating the image below the main body of the post. It seem that every time I post an image I end up with is appearing twice, I've messed around with it but when I try and remove the attachment the...