Windows 10: Question about WD and heuristics

Discus and support Question about WD and heuristics in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; A quick question. Does WD support heuristics/behavioural support? 100374 Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by eLPuSHeR, Dec 14, 2017.

1. eLPuSHeR Win User

Question about WD and heuristics

A quick question. Does WD support heuristics/behavioural support?

:)

eLPuSHeR, Dec 14, 2017

2. Windows Defender - heuristics when scanning

Hello,

I found this guide about
    set windows defender to use heuristics when scanning

I couldn't find this option anywhere in my windows defender, at my windows 10 machine.

Does anyone know what are this heuristics?

Are they appear in windows 10? is there a way to turn them on/off?

ItsMyAccount, Dec 14, 2017
  3. Questioning a false positive for a Windows Defender virus scan

Thank you quietman7. Based on some of the sites you recommended to cross reference the file in question, it seems like a legitimate download. I guess the heuristics are more strict for Windows Defender than other scanners. I hope at least...

LuisLluberes, Dec 14, 2017
  4. Question about WD and heuristics

TairikuOkami, Dec 14, 2017
  5. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Thanks. Somehow I thougth as much. I am currently giving AVAST free a whirl, but with custom installation. So far, not bad.

eLPuSHeR, Dec 14, 2017
  6. Avast's behavioral monitoring is awesome. I honestly can not think of any other AV with a better heuristics.
    And since Avast bought AVG, their cloud services have got even better. AVG was left with the bad part. *Tongue

[youtube]ztMsRmp2iOY[/youtube]

But on the other hand, it is not perfect, not like any other AV is, you can not trust any AV 100%.

[youtube]yyofMPA9HpM[/youtube]

7. dencal Win User
    Have been using Kaspersky free, am impressed, can setup extra options such as cloud services to add to security......including Defender periodical scan.
    No nag nag.....covers E-Mail scanning.....do not believe nonsense that Russian spies are interested.

dencal, Dec 14, 2017
  8. Barman58 Win User

I looked a while ago at consolidating security, ( after the release of Malwarbytes 3 which was one of my layers ), looking at the options ( Avast was not top of the list due to previous issues), I saw that a few were consistently at the top of reliability lists, of these Bitdefender offered a centralised system for managing PCs, Mac, Android, and IOS devices so went for them,

Have just updated for another year to the unlimited devices package for a good price (£36), and am still happy with it. but it's good to have alternatives at the top end to push the market

I have the system set on auto pilot now it's set up to my liking, and apart from the odd warning for Ransomware protection when running new executables I do not know it's running

Barman58, Dec 14, 2017
  9. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Yes, both BD Free and Kaspersky Free are very good reputable products. Unfotunately, some of them only come in English language.

eLPuSHeR, Dec 14, 2017
  10. Avast causes too many BSOD and other issues, it can be prevented by disabling some setting, but by default, it is unusable, that is the reason I do not really recommend it to others, but I still like it overall.

There are many products, which use BD or Kaspersky (Zone Alarm AV + its HIPS based firewall is a great pick), try some.

AV-Comparatives AV-Vendors - AV-Comparatives

If you have a stable internet connection, you could try Panda Dome, it is super light and available in many languages.

Code: http://acs.pandasoftware.com/Panda/FREEAV/190612/FREEAV.exe[/quote]

11. As a Long time Avast user started in 2006, sure I tried other products from time to time, but usually end up reinstalling Avast as I have on my newest I7 Desktop, and probably will on the newer laptop whenever I get that, as Laptop will be used as secondary system when Desktop is busy I think doing things, or gaming off and on with, and other tasks i'm sure as well

AMDMan2016, Dec 14, 2017
  12. The way I test security programs is simple.

1. Do I get infected.
    2. Do they pretty much leave me alone.
    3. Do they warn me it I go to site that is iffy.

I use Windows 10 built in Defender and Malwarebytes Premium 3.3.1, both active and I don't have any problems and they don't keep pestering me except when I go to a iffy site.

I have simple systems.
    No phone to connect and such things.
    No cloud to worry about.
    No Wifi to worry about, everything is wired.
    I'm the only user on my systems.
    I get about 3 emails a month from somebody trying to see me something. Other than that I don't get emails and I like it that way.

These facts probably make my choices of security programs simpler.

Jack

Layback Bear, Dec 14, 2017
  13. Question about WD and heuristics

Tough love. Every AV lets something to slip here and then. You should keep using the products you like.

I like this one as well. Avast has got a gaming/silent mode, so that takes care of ADs/notifications.

No need for AV, all major browsers do it, you can also add extensions and DNS, which block phishing/malware.

Question about WD and heuristics [​IMG]

14. Superfly Win User
    Not sure why anyone would not use smartscreen w/ WD... TBH -- but yup, those top 3 in the graph are my top 3 as well.

BTW agree with dencal, pleasantly surprised how well Kas performs, having been with BD for so long.

Superfly, Dec 14, 2017
  15. I may still consider Windows Defender with Smartscreen and all that for newer laptop, I just not sure yet, then may refresh/reset the Desktop machine as well at that time, and clean it up some as well, but still have to fully decide

Just gotta get my mind set on one program and stick with it, on Desktop over the last month switched protection 5-6 times

AMDMan2016, Dec 14, 2017
Thema:

1. Question about WD and heuristics - Similar Threads - Question heuristics

2. Microsoft one drive question

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Microsoft one drive question: Microsoft one drive is not, connected. Rather than input a pin I opt to go to other and input my password. When I click on other the one drive just keeps on running and does not go to the next screen to let me input my password....
  3. Microsoft one drive question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft one drive question: Microsoft one drive is not, connected. Rather than input a pin I opt to go to other and input my password. When I click on other the one drive just keeps on running and does not go to the next screen to let me input my password....
  4. Microsoft one drive question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I have no question. I found a profound error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have no question. I found a profound error: The current Windows picture is showing Eiffel Tower in Paris. The description is KAUSTEIN, Austria. I think the administrator needs the geography classes....
  6. I have no question. I found a profound error

I have no question. I found a profound error: The current Windows picture is showing Eiffel Tower in Paris. The description is KAUSTEIN, Austria. I think the administrator needs the geography classes....
  7. Microsoft Defender Browser Protection extensions for chrome question

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Defender Browser Protection extensions for chrome question: is Microsoft Defender Browser Protection extensiosn still supports for Google Chrome? Because Microsoft Defender Browser Protection extensiosn was updated last year...
  8. Microsoft Defender Browser Protection extensions for chrome question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Defender Browser Protection extensions for chrome question: is Microsoft Defender Browser Protection extensiosn still supports for Google Chrome? Because Microsoft Defender Browser Protection extensiosn was updated last year...
  9. Microsoft Defender Browser Protection extensions for chrome question

10. My laptop is having questionable problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop is having questionable problems: I have been having a problem in my laptop where it suddenly closes it self off randomly when I am gaming, It is very annoying. When I am playing online, sometimes my laptop turns off and also temporally cuts out the internet from my laptop. And I am not playing such high...