Windows 10: Question about Windows 10 policy of auto updating drivers?

Discus and support Question about Windows 10 policy of auto updating drivers? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; One of the most unpopular features of Windows 10 seems to be auto updating of drivers. I've read quite a few horror stories about Windows 10 installing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Scottyboy99, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Question about Windows 10 policy of auto updating drivers?

One of the most unpopular features of Windows 10 seems to be auto updating of drivers. I've read quite a few horror stories about Windows 10 installing unwanted GPU drivers and causing issues.

I am very much of the mantra "If it ain't broke don't fix it" so the world of perpetual updates etc doesn't enthral me. That being said I have a high end Nvidia 980 ti GPU. I received my machine well over a month ago and noted the Nividia drivers pre installed are circa September. Now, I know there are newer drivers out there but thankfully Windows 10 has not found or tried to update them. I do not have the option unchecked for letting Windows 10 find and download drivers/realistic icons. So I am curious why I do not get offered new Nvidia GPU drivers. It's great that it doesn't happen but it has got me thinking. I still sit there checking Windows Update periodically expecting a rude shock as GPU drivers come down the pipe. But it hasn't happened. Have Nvidia seen sense and stopped Microsoft getting their hands on drivers via Windows Update? This would be good as I would only want to update the GPU drivers when I am ready and if there was a compelling need to do so.

The thing is I don't want to uncheck that option either as certain Hardware components have benefitted from it. For example, plugging in Bluetooth USB dongle, USB webcam. So it is useful but of course it's an all or nothing scenario. Given the GPU is a very sensitive area of the PC experience I would prefer to be able to prevent auto driver updates on just this one component. Of course I am aware of the blocking tool MS released a while back but that is very much a fix and seems like a 'shut the stable door after the horse has bolted' scenario.

So two questions really, are Nvidia stopping GPU drivers slithering in via Windows Update? And can a single component/piece of hardware be stopped from auto updating it's drivers in Windows 10?

Thanks,
    Wayne

:)

Scottyboy99, Nov 25, 2015
  2. Maegirom Win User

The latest update of windows 10 (KB4034674) does not recognize the drivers of my keyboard

I mean... with the Local group policy editor I can choose diferent options about updates, as:

- "Notify for download and notify for install."

- "Auto download and notify for install."

- "Auto download and schedule the install."

- "Allow local admin to choose setting."

My question is, with any of these options, can I choose which updates to install and which ones not?, or once I decide to install ONE update, will windows install all the other pending ones?

Thanks

Maegirom, Nov 25, 2015
  3. EckiS Win User
    Windows 10 Automatic Updates Crashes Computer

there is a group policy "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations"

which seems to be what you need, see:

How to *disable* automatic reboots in Windows 10?

and if this doesn't help, a futher workaround is mentioned.

EckiS, Nov 25, 2015
  4. batlhilz Win User

Question about Windows 10 policy of auto updating drivers?

havent seen those updates for last 3 or 4 months with GTX 550ti. changed to a GTX 950 week ago and still nothing. i have all automated on the insider version, different on the RTM then?

batlhilz, Nov 25, 2015
  5. Sounds encouraging then in that Nvidia GPU drivers don't seem to be slipstreaming through! Maybe you can now only get them through Geforce experience. Sounds good to me, will just make sure I never install it. I only want drivers to install when I am ready for them and not unexpectedly.

Scottyboy99, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Question about Windows 10 policy of auto updating drivers?

1. Question about Windows 10 policy of auto updating drivers? - Similar Threads - Question policy auto

2. Question about GPU video drivers and Windows Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about GPU video drivers and Windows Update: How often do GPU drivers get updated via Windows Update? Is it every time WHQL one gets released or even less?My goal is to reduce the need for 3rd party stuff and installations. Having WU get it for me would be ideal. Though I really don't know how often that...
  3. Question about GPU video drivers and Windows Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about GPU video drivers and Windows Update: How often do GPU drivers get updated via Windows Update? Is it every time WHQL one gets released or even less?My goal is to reduce the need for 3rd party stuff and installations. Having WU get it for me would be ideal. Though I really don't know how often that...
  4. Question about Minecraft commercial policies

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about Minecraft commercial policies: Hi,I couldn't find a clear answer to this. Is it against the user agreement to sell plots of land in Minecraft? For example, if I built a castle and sold it, would that be allowed. I also saw online that placing advertisements inside Minecraft is not allowed, but I couldn't...
  5. Question about Samsung display driver update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Question about Samsung display driver update: Windows update for several months now has failed to install a Samsung display driver on my Asus laptop. It always fails with the same message: Windows Update Error Encountered A current driver on your PC may be better than the driver we're trying to install. We'll keep...
  6. About the auto updation of windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    About the auto updation of windows 10: Last week.. Am doing some thesis work on pc.. Some files are stored in the drive D that are waiting to be burned...suddenly windows 10 starts to auto updation. It takes around 2 and half hour. After that files that is temporary stored in the D drive is vanished.. Is it...
  7. Question about auto login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about auto login: Hi! I got 3 user accounts on my Windows10 desktop. 1 admin and 2 standart users. Is it possible to make windows auto login to my account (standart user with password) but still stay on login screen and require password to reach the desktop? submitted by /u/Erfid [link]...
  8. Question about Windows Driver System Update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Question about Windows Driver System Update: Hi so every few minutes my antivirus system, AVG, goes off with this message: http://prntscr.com/pv3ida I followed the folder path and it led me to this http://prntscr.com/pv3ihw Should I attempt to delete these files or make an exception in AVG? AVG's deep virus scan did...
  9. Question on Auto updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question on Auto updates: On Windows 10 Home. Important updates are automatically downloaded and installed, I get that. What I don`t get is does it work the same as when maintenance is running ( if I`m using pc it will suspend and resume when idle ) or will updates be dl/ installed when pc is powered...
  10. Disable Auto Updates Group Policy - Managing Video Driver Updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Disable Auto Updates Group Policy - Managing Video Driver Updates?: I know Brink and Tairiku (experts I'm sure) have contributed to a solved thread "Turn Off Windows Updates" but here I am with an MBA in Finance and still somewhat confused based on what I'm trying to do. It's all about the Nvidia drivers. I have a working W10 driver...