Windows 10: Question after switching primary MS account

Discus and support Question after switching primary MS account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; So I recently switched my primary MS account from the email I used originally, to the email I currently use for my Xbox account, so I can link up... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Mr Ister, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Mr Ister Win User

Question after switching primary MS account

So I recently switched my primary MS account from the email I used originally, to the email I currently use for my Xbox account, so I can link up purchases of media content between my console and PC. I followed the steps laid out in another thread here where I switched to a local account, and then switched back to the email account I wished to use.

One the main account page, it correctly states my email, but when I open the App Store, it still displays my old/original email used. I can't sign out of it or anything, but curiously, when I click on my email in the top right and click 'View Account' it takes me to the Microsoft account for the correct email (new email I used/switched to). Perhaps its just slow, or will update upon a complete reboot, but has this happened to anyone else? Can I make purchases from the App Store and will they tie to my new account or my old one?

:)

Mr Ister, Jul 5, 2016

2. Login screen Windows 10

Harold, by the way did you r primary alias was different when you created your MS account? Several threads seem to point and link the issue to MS accounts whose original alias was switched some time

Mirko Torrez Contreras, Jul 5, 2016
  3. ChadB_ZA Win User
    Microsoft Account Name

I think I have discovered a possible reason this is happening. So I tried creating a second local account, and then switched that to my MS account. One reboot and the issue showed up on the new account.

Based on what Mirko said about aliases it got me thinking, my @outlook.com account started off as a @live.com account, I created the outlook.com alias and then changed that to my primary alias ages back when that feature was first made available. Never
    had any issues with it before.

So what I did was I changed my primary alias back to the @live.com account. Then I switched my sign in back to a local account (the original account, the newer one I removed completely), and then switched it back to MS account, but this time signing in with
    my @live.com address (the current primary alias).

After two reboots and signing in and out there was no issue at all. The problem seemed fix. I left it for about an hour or two and it was still working properly. I then went in and switched the configuration on the server back to having the @outlook.com
    address as my primary alias (to test and see if it was just a coincidence). I then left everything as it was on my machine. Didn't change anything locally, but waited for the primary alias to sync to the machine. Within half an hour I noticed the alias had
    synced and the issue was back. So it seems to explicitly be tied to the primary alias being different to the original account email address. This would also account for why Marko moving away from his Gmail alias also resolved the issue.

Stefan, are you perhaps using an alias on your account? And the others of you that have this issue? I'm really hoping if we manage to really isolate exactly what the issue is we can push MS for a fix!

ChadB_ZA, Jul 5, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jul 5, 2016
  5. Mr Ister Win User
    Hey Brink, that's what I did. Email#1 was my old email tied to my Win10 PC, and I wanted to switch it to Email#2 which is tied to my Xbox account. I switched to local, then to email#2 just fine, but its just on the App Store it continues to display my email#1 while everywhere else, even on account settings, its all up-to-date with email#2.

I linked my email2 (an outlook.com account) to my gmail account ages back, so it shows my gmail email on the account management section of the settings, so maybe thats why the app store still displays email#1 (as email1 is a Microsoft account and possibly you need a MS account to purchase items, rather than a Gmail account)?
    Not sure, just a little annoying though.

Mr Ister, Jul 5, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 5, 2016
  7. Mr Ister Win User
    That worked! I can't believe it was that simple. I searched for so long to figure out how to switch my primary email before finding this site, and then once I hit a roadblock I got stumped, lol. Thanks for the help. Glad it was so simple and pain free.

Mr Ister, Jul 5, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're most welcome. I'm glad it could help. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Question after switching primary MS account - Similar Threads - Question switching primary

2. Store crashes after switching MS account

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Store crashes after switching MS account: I switch my MS account for signing in to computer and now I want it to my MS store as well however the MS store crash when I open it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/store-crashes-after-switching-ms-account/804e64f4-67ba-4aec-a96a-87528684e94c
  3. Store crashes after switching MS account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Store crashes after switching MS account: I switch my MS account for signing in to computer and now I want it to my MS store as well however the MS store crash when I open it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/store-crashes-after-switching-ms-account/804e64f4-67ba-4aec-a96a-87528684e94c
  4. Store crashes after switching MS account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Remove and Switch PRIMARY Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove and Switch PRIMARY Microsoft account: The main user account I use on my PC is signed in to my sisters old email and is currently being used as the primary Microsoft account Note that she recently deactivated her account so had to be reactivated in order to confirm identity. I want to remove said account and...
  6. A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it.: If I go from a MS account login to a local account does it copy over all my settings etc? I am asking as I am moving on the 26th/27th, and I won't have the internet back till the 28th. I've heard that windows 10 requires the net to sign in unless its a local account. Also...
  7. A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it.

in Windows 10 Support
    A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it.: If I go from a MS account login to a local account does it copy over all my settings etc? I am asking as I am moving on the 26th/27th, and I won't have the internet back till the 28th. I've heard that windows 10 requires the net to sign in unless its a local account. Also...
  8. Switching Primary Accounts on Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Switching Primary Accounts on Desktop: Hi there, My desktop is currently linked to my ex's account. I had bought him the desktop and we shared it while we were together, but his account is the primary one. Unfortunately, this means that I can't make many changes and my account is additional. I can't even change...
  9. MS Account questions

MS Account questions: I'm not sure but I think I just opened an MS Account for the first time. But I dont see anywhere to log in or out at ? If this is a MS account, is there a place to log in or out at ? Thank you, Oscar Using Win 10 Pro 164738
  10. Switch laptop sign in from MS account to Local Account questions

Switch laptop sign in from MS account to Local Account questions: Hi, Ive just switched from signing in to my laptop with a Microsoft Account to signing in with a Local Account instead. My laptop was always listed as a Device on the opening screen along with a map showing its location when I looked in my Microsoft Account. Under Devices I...