Windows 10: Question before performing a clean installation

Discus and support Question before performing a clean installation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I will be clean installing Windows 10 and was looking to make sure that my Personal synced settings are backed up and reinstalled during the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sportsfan148, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Question before performing a clean installation

I will be clean installing Windows 10 and was looking to make sure that my Personal synced settings are backed up and reinstalled during the installation process. I'm just looking for some feedback from the rest of the guys on the forum. Are there other users who have PC or laptop devices showing up under Device Backups in OneDrive Online on Windows 10. The message I'm getting is that I dont have any devices backing up. In Windows 10..its always been empty for me!
    Sync Settings has always been enabled. Ive had a conversation on the Microsoft Community forum with moderators and they say I should have backups there on Windows 10 just the same as I used to get with Windows 8 and 8.1. Confusing! I did see someone on here post that it only works in Windows 10 for phones. I quoted this to Microsoft Moderators and they told me that's not correct

:)

sportsfan148, Mar 27, 2018

2. If performing clean installation of Windows 10, Do we have to again upgrade through Windows 10 older version?

Hi Lu,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform that if you have successfully installed and upgrade to Windows 10 and your copy of Windows 10 is activated then you can go ahead and perform a clean installation of Windows 10. Neither It will not create any
    issues nor you have to go back to the older version and then again follow the process.

If you Windows 10 is activated then you can directly perform a clean installation of Windows 10.

For reference: How to: Do a clean install of Windows

I would suggest you to first download an
    ISO image of Windows 10
    and try to perform Clean install using the Media Creation tool.

Download Windows 10

Installation Media tool:

Windows 10 herunterladen

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further assistance, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Mar 27, 2018
  3. ---lu Win User
    If performing clean installation of Windows 10, Do we have to again upgrade through Windows 10 older version?

Original Title:
    Upgrading older versions to Windows 10

I decided to upgrade from an older version to Windows 10. Since it is free of charge and seems to be user friendly, i thought it's worth trying it. However i have a question. What happens if i want to
    format my computer ? I guess i still need to install the old version of windows,which i currently have, revalidate them and again reupgrade to windows 10 ? If this is not the case then i guess i must somehow be given the software ( downloading it for instance
    ) so as to set it up by booting from a cd later and also a product key to validate ?

---lu, Mar 27, 2018
  4. Question before performing a clean installation

Caledon Ken, Mar 30, 2018
  5. Hi Ken. No, the tutorial doesn't provide any info about the device backups or how the process is supposed to work in Windows 10. Like I said Ive always had those syncing options all enabled..and I always use the Edge browser. I don't use any other browsers at all

sportsfan148, Mar 30, 2018
  6. Agree it doesn't but it talks to how to sync your settings. (given you have a Microsoft account and in tutorial Shawn uses @Outlook.com account) At the bottom are other links to things like Syncing Favorites.

I don't used Edge at all. I use Chrome and the stuff I need sync'ed is within it.

I'll look see in the tutorials if Shawn has one on device backups.

7. So I did quick search and started here.

Enable or Disable OneDrive Integration

It mentions "Sync Settings" in the blue Note area which kicks you to the first tutorial I posted.

You will notice numerous links at bottom of tutorial that will take you to numerous subjects on Onedrive. None per say talk to device backups.

Of course devices backup has different meanings to different members. If you backup all your data to Onedrive and have synced settings "On" one could call this a device backup. I wouldn't. For me a device backup is the OS, drivers programs and data.

Is there any particular sync setting that you are wanting to backup that the tutorial does not talk mention?

8. Question before performing a clean installation

The only reason I use it is so that my favourites in Edge and Internet Explorer are automatically backed up and automatically reinstalled again after a clean installation plus a few other individual general settings are done automatically as well. Its nice and handy and saves a lot of messing about

sportsfan148, Mar 31, 2018
  9. Caledon Ken, Mar 31, 2018
  10. AndreTen Win User
    I've never seen device backups there myself. Settings are synced via Settings and Edge's settings (Favorites and saved passwords and form fills) via Edge sync: Click settings in Edge, and make sure that your account is correct, syncing is on and after check device syncing

Question before performing a clean installation [​IMG]

AndreTen, Mar 31, 2018
  11. Andre, I have a feeling that the device backup doesn't show in OneDrive on Windows 10. I haven't seen anyone say that a backup exists there anyway. I know it used to in Windows8, 8.1

sportsfan148, Apr 1, 2018
  12. Hi Ken, Ive used the import/export feature before..quite a while ago though. at that time I found that it left quite a few of my favourites behind. Several folder in my Edge favourites were missing when I imported them. Maybe the process works perfectly now. I haven't tried it for a while

13. AndreTen Win User

Question before performing a clean installation

Not sure about devices won't show. Edge's settings and favorites syncing is a different thing to device backup. System syncing is tied to you digital account, not Onedrive.

But there could be something else going on. One thing I admit, MS has produced quite a mystery of this.

My bookmarks were restored fine. My last clean install was less than a week ago (Windows Insider)

AndreTen, Apr 1, 2018
  14. Hopefully when I clean install my favourites will be installed too as they were for you. I'll be backing them up just in case anyway Question before performing a clean installation :)

15. AndreTen Win User
    *Thumbs and make an Image with Macrium reflect, if anything goes wrong, just restore it.

AndreTen, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Question before performing a clean installation

1. Question before performing a clean installation - Similar Threads - Question before performing

2. Last minute questions before i start clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Last minute questions before i start clean install: Thanks to this great forum I have been gathering a heap of information for a new W10 Install to replace my existing W7 Pro – which I am about to start. I shall be going for W10 Home edition. I now have a Bootable USB version of W10 Home via MCT, purchased an OEM ‘unused’ W10...
  3. Clean Install Question

Clean Install Question: Hi All Do i just stick in a Ei.cfg or a PID into my flash drive sources folder prior to a clean install of 1809 or 1903 in the future? i know if i do a system clean install of 1809, then later upgrade to 1903, then i'll avoid i think the Reserved storage coming with it....
  4. Clean install question

Clean install question: About to do a clean install on a PC that has 10 on it and activated. It was a windows 7 machine that had the free 10 offer installed. Will it activate when the clean install is complete? I thought the key was embedded but not sure. When I get to where to install it, can I...
  5. Question on Performing a Clean Installation on Newer HP Omen Laptop

Question on Performing a Clean Installation on Newer HP Omen Laptop: Hi All Will be this machines first time updating to a new build soonish here, so trying to get prepared, System recovery backup flash drive done(Check), Personal files backed up with Macirum reflect full system image, All HP drivers updated as much as can be currently, do...
  6. Clean Install Question

Clean Install Question: I have a slight twist on the clean install question. Could not find a clear answer on the forum or the internets. Win 7 pro computer (homebuilt) 1. Get current win 7 installation up to date and cleaned up. 2. Remove Win 7 OS SSD 3. Put in clean formatted SSD 4. Clean...
  7. Clean Install Question

Clean Install Question: I read that a clean install rebuilds partitions and makes a recovery partition. My question is does it allow you to pick the size of the partition that Windows 10 is installed to ? I have a 1 terabyte drive but like to install in a 100gig partition. I think I will...
  8. An important question before clean install

An important question before clean install: I'm planning on doing clean install of Windows 10 for my PC this weekend. Currently I'm also using W10. I am going to install onto the same hard drive (SSD) as it is currently installed. It will put the older version of W10 into a Windows.old folder which I'm going to back it...
  9. Clean install question

Clean install question: I am about to do a clean install windows 10. The hard drive has 3 partitions and all on it is wacked. Should I pull the drive and make a single partition or will the install do it? 100595
  10. Clean install question.

Clean install question.: It's been stated that after upgrading to Windows 10 from 7 or 8 you will be able to do a clean install of Windows 10. Does anyone know yet how this will happen? Will Microsoft provide a link to download the .iso or will it be a case of converting the esd to iso. I've...