Windows 10: Question before upgrading

Discus and support Question before upgrading in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; On a spare hard drive I have, I Installed 7 Pro 64Bit w/SP1. How, if possible, do I upgrade to 10 w/o having to download all the Telemetry KB updates?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by CJW, Jul 24, 2016.

1. CJW
    CJW Win User

Question before upgrading

On a spare hard drive I have, I Installed 7 Pro 64Bit w/SP1. How, if possible, do I upgrade to 10 w/o having to download all the Telemetry KB updates?

:)

2. Ronn P. Win User

Questions Before Upgrading to Windows 10

Hi,

I'm here to ask some questions before I upgrade to Windows 10. I have reserved my upgrade but as a result of impatience, I've downloaded the Media Creation Tool to download Windows 10.

I'm planning to install Windows 10 in a few days but before that I'd like to ask some questions.

1. I'm using Windows 8.1 and I'm using a local account. Do I need to move to a Microsoft Account to use most of the new features?

2. My account is using a 4-digit code to logon to the PC. Is this still available in Windows 10?

3. I'm currently using Windows 8.1 Single Language and selected Windows 10 Home Single Language when I downloaded from the Media Creation Tool; is that correct?

4. Will Cortana be available in my PC? How do I know if it will?

5. Will most of my applications such as Photoshop, Inkscape, CCleaner, Chrome, Spotify, avast! Antivirus, etc. be compatible with Windows 10?

6. I heard that Windows 10 installs updates automatically? Will there be an option to opt-out of that?

That's all. Thank you.

Ronn P., Jul 24, 2016
  3. Questions Before Upgrading to Windows 10

Hi Ronn,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

1. I'm using Windows 8.1 and I'm using a local account. Do I need to move to a Microsoft Account to use most of the new features?

Ans: Yes, A Microsoft account is an email address and password that you use to sign in to Windows. You can use any email address, but it's best if you choose the one you already use to communicate with friends and sign in to your favorite
    websites. When you sign in to your PC with a Microsoft account, you’ll connect your PC to the people, files, and devices you care about. (If you need an email address, we can give you one for free.).

2. My account is using a 4-digit code to logon to the PC. Is this still available in Windows 10?

Ans: Yes, Pin option is still available with Windows 10.

3. I'm currently using Windows 8.1 Single Language and selected Windows 10 Home Single Language when I

downloaded from the Media Creation Tool; is that correct?

Ans: Yes

4. Will Cortana be available in my PC? How do I know if it will?

Ans: Cortana is currently only supported if your system is in one of the 7 configurations shown in the table below.

Please make sure your Country or Region, Language, and
    Speech Language settings are all aligned with one of Cortana’s supported locale configurations. If these OS settings are not aligned, Cortana will not be available. For example, Cortana will not be available if your country is set to United
    States, but the Windows display language is set to English (United Kingdom).

Locale configuration

Country or region

Windows display language

Speech language

en-US

United States

English (United States)

English (United States)

en-GB

United Kingdom

English (United Kingdom)

English (United Kingdom)

zh-CN

China

中文(中华人民共和国)

中文(中华人民共和国)

de-DE

Germany

Deutsch (Deutschland)

Deutsch (Deutschland)

fr-FR

France

Français (France)

Français (France)

it-IT

Italy

Italiano (Italia)

Italiano (Italia)

es-ES

Spain

Español (España)

Español (España)

5. Will most of my applications such as Photoshop, Inkscape, CCleaner, Chrome, Spotify, avast! Antivirus, etc. be compatible with Windows 10?

Ans: You can check compatibility of application though below link

Windows | Official Site for Microsoft Windows 10 Home & Pro OS, laptops, PCs, tablets & more

6. I heard that Windows 10 installs updates automatically? Will there be an option to opt-out of that?

Ans: Yes, windows will automatically install updates. Moreover there is no option to skip the updates and even not recommended.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jul 24, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Jul 24, 2016
  5. CJW
    CJW Win User
    Success!
    I downloaded both the Windows Media Creator Tool & image file, made a bootable USB drive, clean installed 10 & have it Activated.
    I'll play w/it from time to time to get used to it, but not daily & not while connected online.
    As I've said before, it's on a spare HDD.

Thema:

1. Question before upgrading - Similar Threads - Question before upgrading

2. Questions before upgrading to Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Questions before upgrading to Windows 11.: Good morning,I'm considering upgrading to Windows 11, but I had a few clarifying questions first:- Is Microsoft still following the horrible business practice of putting ads into the operating system?- Is Microsoft still following the horrible business practice of forcing...
  3. Questions before upgrading to Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Questions before upgrading to Windows 11.: Good morning,I'm considering upgrading to Windows 11, but I had a few clarifying questions first:- Is Microsoft still following the horrible business practice of putting ads into the operating system?- Is Microsoft still following the horrible business practice of forcing...
  4. I have 4 questions (for now!) before I take the plunge and upgrade.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I have 4 questions (for now!) before I take the plunge and upgrade.: Windows 7 Professional Version 6.1(Build 7601: Service Pack 1) I've put it off as long as I can and am now preparing to upgrade in-place from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro. I've migrated my C drive to a bigger SSD (500GB from 125GB). I also have large programs and games on a 250 GB...
  5. Upgrade question

Upgrade question: I have windows 10 version 1903. can I do an upgrade 9252 or would it be better to try and fix the update problem I am having. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-question/1d93fd58-f35f-49ff-8b20-102891fa1201
  6. RAID 1 question before upgrading

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAID 1 question before upgrading: Hi folks, I'm a W7 Pro user, and I'm finally thinking to get the update to W10. Question: at the moment I've a RAID 1 set up; will it still be available after the update and/or after I do a clean install of W10? Thank you 33551
  7. upgrade questions

upgrade questions: 1) If I put Win 10 on a full partition or as a dual boot can I go back at anytime [single Win7 partition]? 2) I'm planning to create Win 7, Win 10 dual boot on this laptop.Currently, Win 7 Ultimate, 64 bit, on a Del Precision M6300; disk 700GB with 121GB filled. Have Win 10...
  8. Upgrade Question

Upgrade Question: I have two identical HP Elite desktop 800 PC's one has Windows 10 installed. I also have a recovery drive canI use that recovery drive to install Windows 10 on the other PC? 31052
  9. Upgrading today, few questions before I do so

Upgrading today, few questions before I do so: Right now I have Win7 Ultimate 64-bit. Last time I tried to upgrade to Win10 it couldn't verify my license key, and I kinda figured its due to how legit my key is. I may or may not have bought it and it may or may not be from "the bay". Anyway, my plan is to buy a Win7...
  10. Question before getting Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Question before getting Win 10: I have a few questions before I get Windows 10. I did ask these questions on the Microsoft forums but I got FAQ Answers and I wasn't satisfied with the information I was given. I'd like information from someone who already has upgraded to Win 10 therefore the information is...