Windows 10: [Question] Clearing Standby memory when free memory reaches some level

Discus and support [Question] Clearing Standby memory when free memory reaches some level in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Since i'm a PC Gamer, i'm having a lot of troubles with the Standby memory 'stealing' my free memory numbers. So, i have a question: Is there any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by guigow, May 28, 2018.

1. guigow Win User

[Question] Clearing Standby memory when free memory reaches some level

Since i'm a PC Gamer, i'm having a lot of troubles with the Standby memory 'stealing' my free memory numbers. So, i have a question:

Is there any software for Win 10 that automatically clears the standby memory when Free memory reaches, for example, 100mb ?

I know the task scheduler solution with the 'EmptyStandbyList.exe - wj32' that is all around the Win 10 forums, but that solution is not the most 'smart' since when i forget it turned ON it will constantly clear my standby memory every 5 minutes, even if i have tons of free memory, when i'm browsing for example..

I tried RamMap but it's not automatic, so i would have to alt+tab any game to clear the memory.

Memory Cleaner by Koshy John has a 'Clear Cache' function, but not the 'Clear Standby' one.

So, is there any software that does that?

:)

guigow, May 28, 2018

2. Windows 10 not releasing standby memory when required.

My system has 16GB of RAM and a max pagefile of 1000MB.

The standby memory cache stays around 7GB even when my commit limit is reached causing either a low memory warning or a program which crashes because it couldn't allocate memory.

I understand that free memory = wasted memory so have no problem that standby uses 7GB normally, but why isn't it releasing the memory when it is needed?

I know the pagefile is small, but it is for two reasons - limited SSD space and a windows controlled pagefile was causing performance issues from swapping too often.

Any help would be appreciated.

WallyWalrick, May 29, 2018
  3. Windows 10 not releasing standby memory when required.

A restart does indeed free the standby memory. It quickly climbs to about 2.5GB (most being mapped files) when I open my standard programs.

So I did 3 tests..

1. While running Overwatch, loaded as many programs/webrowser tabs as I could to get Zero + Free close to 0 MBytes. The standby memory stayed very close to the same size (checked this by refreshing RAMMap a number of times during the testing period). Opened
    one more small memory footprint program to see if the standby memory would free but instead had errors with programs not being able to allocate memory. Taskmgr showed that is was only using 9.7GB at the time.

Restarted.

2. Ran Overwatch for a bit, closed it down. According to Taskmgr->Details Overwatch was no longer running. RAMMap showed the large overwatch files in standby memory which at the time I would expect it to as I still had over 6GB Free (according to RAMMap). Again
    opened programs to get to close to 0 Free/Zero MBytes, refreshed RAMMap but standby memory stayed. Opened the last program and same error.

Restarted

3. Same as other tests but DIDN'T run Overwatch. Standby memory (2.5GB) Same problem again.

I didn't get to see in the first test but did in the last two was that when windows gives the low/no memory error it then starts to release the standby memory, but it's too slow and memory allocation fails. So it's not that the standby memory won't release,
    just that it's too slow to be useful. This seems like Windows isn't managing the memory properly.

WallyWalrick, May 29, 2018
Thema:

[Question] Clearing Standby memory when free memory reaches some level

1. [Question] Clearing Standby memory when free memory reaches some level - Similar Threads - Question Clearing Standby

2. Standby Memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Standby Memory: Hello community! I've had a recurring issue exactly like the one stated in this article. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorer-and-staterepository-state-repository/a2fc48f9-bdb1-4f33-9692-3750dc7d79f5?page=1. While trying to find information about the...
  3. Standby Memory

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Standby Memory: Hello community! I've had a recurring issue exactly like the one stated in this article. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorer-and-staterepository-state-repository/a2fc48f9-bdb1-4f33-9692-3750dc7d79f5?page=1. While trying to find information about the...
  4. Standby Memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How to Clear this Memory

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Clear this Memory: i just checked my storage memory allocations and i have no idea what or where or how can clear this memory since i really dont use emails or save emails on my hard drive.when i click it, its hows 47 gig then a button manage emails. then when i click the button, it opens yahoo...
  6. Standby memory not freeing up? (recently updated to v.2004)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Standby memory not freeing up? (recently updated to v.2004): I noticed that standby memory doesn't clear up from time to time when I recently did an in-place upgrade from 1909. Anyone know why and if it's an issue with 2004? submitted by /u/Lorelock_ [link] [comments]...
  7. Releasing Standby memory

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Releasing Standby memory: Windows 10 Pro, 32GB memory, 970 GTX GPU. Ordinary boring, but previously very capable desktop. I'm running a couple Adobe tools. Needless to say, they are total pigs. And it appears they've gotten WORSE in the current version. When the Adobe products are up and running,...
  8. Computer holding onto Standby memory, not releasing it to free memory when needed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer holding onto Standby memory, not releasing it to free memory when needed: So I’m having a memory problem which is causing programs to freeze and/or crash. What happens is, when I’m gaming usually, the computer builds up standby memory (super fast). It occupies half of my RAM (so, around 8/16 gigs) but doesn’t free it up even though it is needed....
  9. Memory Standby High

Memory Standby High: For some reason, my standby memory is really high, and when I empty it using RamMap it comes back like a 100 megabytes a second. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/memory-standby-high/3a6a7a74-f99f-435d-a9da-59d139caf7ff
  10. standby memory not releasing

standby memory not releasing: Windows 10 ver 1903 standby memory not releasing, have to use Rammap all the time. All drivers are up to date, no malware or virus, any thoughts? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/standby-memory-not-releasing/e5341242-acc1-4a88-927d-bf7842fd3a54