Windows 10: [Question]Need help fixing Win10 / Vista dual boot

Discus and support [Question]Need help fixing Win10 / Vista dual boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was running Win10 and partitioned off 25gb for Vista because I needed older OS to run some software. Anyhow, now I'm not sure how the hell I boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by J3RM, Apr 19, 2016.

1. J3RM Win User

[Question]Need help fixing Win10 / Vista dual boot

I was running Win10 and partitioned off 25gb for Vista because I needed older OS to run some software. Anyhow, now I'm not sure how the hell I boot back to my main partition, because the Vista partition as taken seniority over the main partition.

So, Win10 partition is now labeled as D: Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)
    Vista partition is labeled as C: Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Logical Drive)

From what I've read I think I need to use command prompt and make the D: partition inactive and that should help, but I really don't want to mess anything up again. I've dealt with this issue already and wound up restoring Win10 over my Win7/Vista drive.

:)

2. Dual Boot Windows 10 and Windows 7

Yes, that is understandable, but what if the dual boot contains Vista and Win7?

Is there some way to upgrade to Win10 and keep Win7 while replacing Vista?

B.Cornelius, Apr 19, 2016
  3. tornnomar Win User
    Windows 10 Suddenly restarts without warning

Win10. Junk. Restarts constantly. Seriously, M$! You all need to get to the bottom of this and fix it. I have an AMD architecture but I also dual boot with Arch Linux and DO NOT have this issue while in the linux environment, only have this while in Windows.

Thinking about reinstalling win7. (original disc owner) No problems with it at all. Nothing but trouble with 10. Its damn near Vista all over again.

tornnomar, Apr 19, 2016
  4. [Question]Need help fixing Win10 / Vista dual boot

try easybcd and see if you see both boot first then we wi figure out to what next

gijoetech1, Apr 19, 2016
  5. J3RM Win User
    There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Microsoft Windows Vista
    Timeout: 3 seconds
    Boot Drive: D:\

Entry #1
    Name: Microsoft Windows Vista
    BCD ID: {current}
    Drive: C:\
    Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
    Name: Windows 10
    BCD ID: {bc619cfd-05a5-11e6-9020-95148e96362d}
    Drive: D:\
    Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

It does recognize.

6. J3RM Win User
    I assume I just now go to "Edit Boot Menu" and select Win10 as default. Correct?

7. correct and you should get a boot choise set it as 20 seconds each after the initial boot let me know please ty

gijoetech1, Apr 19, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

I don't have a Vista anymore and it's a long time since I used one.
    So, I can't tell you the exact step-by-step. I can only offer your a direction.
    See if the followings applicable to you....................
    If you can open All Programs > Accessories > locate RUN
    Click open Run > type msconfig into the box > OK.
    Click Boot at the top > I assume you will see both Windows Vista and Windows 10 listed.
    Click Windows 10 > click Set as default > at Timeout, set it at 30 seconds > click OK when done.
    Reboot.

Hope this will help you at all.

davidhk, Apr 19, 2016
  9. J3RM Win User
    If you don't hear back from me in 5-10mins...something has broken. LOL

10. J3RM Win User
    Just looked at this before trying with EasyBCD and just want to say that the Vista drive is labeled as Current OS and gives me the Default option to set, but when I click on Win10 which is labeled as Default OS, the Set Default option greys out and is not an option.

11. davidhk Win User
    Sorry, I can't tell you what to do with EasyBCD.

My suggestion is using Run > msconfig....................not EasyBCD.

davidhk, Apr 19, 2016
  12. J3RM Win User
    Successful! EasyBCD booted into Win10. I should have changed the default setting from 3 second countdown to 10 seconds. Heh

13. [Question]Need help fixing Win10 / Vista dual boot

did easybcd give you the option

gijoetech1, Apr 19, 2016
  14. good im happy to help i say 20 seconds set it to and if you can click like in the forum for me thanks

gijoetech1, Apr 19, 2016
Thema:

1. [Question]Need help fixing Win10 / Vista dual boot - Similar Threads - Question Need help

2. i need help dual booting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i need help dual booting: i have been trying to dual boot windows 10 and windows 10 i dont know how https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-help-dual-booting/0aef49c9-237c-4845-91d6-710ee0a818b9
  3. i need help dual booting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i need help dual booting: i have been trying to dual boot windows 10 and windows 10 i dont know how https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-help-dual-booting/0aef49c9-237c-4845-91d6-710ee0a818b9
  4. Dual boot: Vista and Windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot: Vista and Windows 7: Why does Vista "loop" when I try to obtain permission to access the D-drive from the C-drive. Vista is installed in C: and Windows 7 in D: and Iought tobe able to see both drives in Vista....
  5. Dual boot: Vista and Windows 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual boot: Vista and Windows 7: Why does Vista "loop" when I try to obtain permission to access the D-drive from the C-drive. Vista is installed in C: and Windows 7 in D: and Iought tobe able to see both drives in Vista....
  6. Need help fixing dual boot issue.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help fixing dual boot issue.: So I needed to have a dual boot windows system and all was working fine until I needed to transfer some files from one system to my current one. It asked for the action of opening a folder to be authorised by admin, which I then did, after I completed the copying of files, I...
  7. Need help in Dual Boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help in Dual Boot: I have a PC with 2 SSD and an NVMe . I have Windows 10 installed on NVMe And have a free SSD and I want to install Linux ( OpenSUSE ) on a free SSD . I want to Setup dual boot on it but I have no idea how to do it and I doubt that it is possible via NVMe and SSD pathway . If...
  8. dual boot Vista and windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    dual boot Vista and windows 10: Hi I have a old acer 5735z that runs Vista home premium 64 bit fine I have seen this model running windows 10 on a video channel I would like to try it out by dual booting and having a look and see what suits I have partitioned the hdd so there is plenty of space Any advise...
  9. Dual Boot question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot question: Hi, I have set a dual boot config, on a laptop with W 7 x64 preinstalled. Laptop has one disk drive, before dual boot, with 3 primary partitions, from left to right, in Computer Management: 1. Recovery OEM primary 15 GB 2. System Reserved 100 MB primary (70 MB free)...
  10. help needed, dual boot when running win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    help needed, dual boot when running win10: hi guys, Ive just bought a new gaming laptop, my first off the shelf pc ever. ive always built my own desktops it came with win8.1, which i thought was dreadful so i tried to install win7... no such luck, after days searching on the net, i gave up and updated to win10...