Windows 10: Question on installing.

Discus and support Question on installing. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I downloaded the Windows 10 ISO. My son has an old computer he wants to put it on. Right now, all I remember its and old msi motherboard with a Q2200... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by milford, Feb 18, 2016.

1. milford Win User

Question on installing.

I downloaded the Windows 10 ISO. My son has an old computer he wants to put it on. Right now, all I remember its and old msi motherboard with a Q2200 cpu. The gpu is an obsolete AMD board. As soon as I can get this up and running, I hope to find all the components, upgrade whats needed and pray. He has an Academic Windows 7 download he wants on the computer, from there the Windows 10 ISO.

Question. Does the ISO get installed over the Windows 7 software as an update, or does it install on a blank hard drive as a new install and use the Windows 7 key.

This will probably happen a few months down the road.

Oh. Just remembered. The free version download is set to expire June 29, 2016 I think. Since I have the ISO, will Windows 10 install after the cutoff date?

:)

milford, Feb 18, 2016

2. Windows 10 retail license key

I've been looking into possibly getting Windows 10. I found retail license keys being sold on eBay for extremely cheap (under $15). It
    seems like there would have to be some issue with these. However, I'm not sure what the problem could be. I've been doing some research. If I understand correctly, if it's retail then it cannot be OEM. Also, if it's retail, I understand it cannot be
    a volume license key. From what I understand, it cannot be MSDN, either. If it were simply pirated, then I don't see how it could be activated as they claim it can be. What am I missing? FWIW, it comes from Europe, but claims to be valid worldwide.

(Not linking to the eBay sale as I don't want to "promote" it if there is an issue with it. But what can you suggest to me based on the little info available?)

Edit: A possibility... could it potentially be resold to other parties and activated by them, but then if I reinstall (when enough activations have been done), I will be unable to reactivate again?

(Question), Feb 18, 2016
  3. Installing Win10 on a new SSD question...

Can I perform a clean install using the Free upgrade?

No, it will require that you are running a previous qualifying version and start the upgrade from within the qualifying version. You can initiate a clean install after completing the Upgrade.

Please be aware that you cannot use the free upgrade offer to perform a clean install on first attempt. You must first upgrade from the qualifying version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 (whether you do
    it through
    Windows Update
    or using the .ISO file). Ensure the upgrade is completed successfully and then ensure that it is activated. You can then proceed to do a clean install by using recovery media or using the Reset function in Start > Settings > Update
    & Security > Recovery > Reset this PC (Get Started).

Andre Da Costa, Feb 18, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Question on installing.

You can install W10 and use the W7 key to activate; just make sure you're using the same type OS for upgrade.

You must install and activate on the system before the expiration. Once activated, it can be reinstalled as often as you like/need. Hope you can get it working on old equipment. Might be difficult.

simrick, Feb 19, 2016
Thema:

Question on installing.

1. Question on installing. - Similar Threads - Question installing

2. My question is about Aero Peek. How do I make it work after a fresh [Windows 7} install and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My question is about Aero Peek. How do I make it work after a fresh [Windows 7} install and...: Aero Peek changes at times between working and not working for reasons I usually do not know {in fact never know.}. I recently reformatted my Desktop pc 3 times. {Running Windows 7 and not going to update to 10 or 11.} The last reformat was because Aero Peek was not working....
  3. My question is about Aero Peek. How do I make it work after a fresh [Windows 7} install and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My question is about Aero Peek. How do I make it work after a fresh [Windows 7} install and...: Aero Peek changes at times between working and not working for reasons I usually do not know {in fact never know.}. I recently reformatted my Desktop pc 3 times. {Running Windows 7 and not going to update to 10 or 11.} The last reformat was because Aero Peek was not working....
  4. My Question is About Nvidia Driver Installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Question is About Nvidia Driver Installation: Dear Microsoft CommitteeBefore Answering my Issue let's quick review my Laptop Specifications Model: HP Laptop Pavilion 15-bc200neRam: 16 GB RamRom: 1 TB +256 NVME SSDProcessor: Core i7-7th GenerationGraphic Driver: IntelR HD Graphics 630Window Install: Window 10 HomI am...
  5. My Question is About Nvidia Driver Installation

My Question is About Nvidia Driver Installation: Dear Microsoft CommitteeBefore Answering my Issue let's quick review my Laptop Specifications Model: HP Laptop Pavilion 15-bc200neRam: 16 GB RamRom: 1 TB +256 NVME SSDProcessor: Core i7-7th GenerationGraphic Driver: IntelR HD Graphics 630Window Install: Window 10 HomI am...
  6. My Question is About Nvidia Driver Installation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Question about installed programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about installed programs: So, I installed Windows 11 and decided to under volt my gpu. I installed Aida64 extreme and i did not save a desktop shortcut because i do not like those. Restarted my pc and I tried to run my aida64 exe file.spent 10 min to search for a way to find my exe somewhere...
  8. Question about installed programs

Question about installed programs: So, I installed Windows 11 and decided to under volt my gpu. I installed Aida64 extreme and i did not save a desktop shortcut because i do not like those. Restarted my pc and I tried to run my aida64 exe file.spent 10 min to search for a way to find my exe somewhere...
  9. Hi, I have two questions about doing a clean offline installation of windows10 pro x64 & 3...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hi, I have two questions about doing a clean offline installation of windows10 pro x64 & 3...: Doing a clean offline install of windows 10 pro x641. How do I find out what updates I need to download from windows catalog to do a clean offline install of windows 10 pro x64?2. How do I integrate the updates into the windows installation iso file?Working with Windows 10...
  10. Hi, I have two questions about doing a clean offline installation of windows10 pro x64 & 3...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hi, I have two questions about doing a clean offline installation of windows10 pro x64 & 3...: Doing a clean offline install of windows 10 pro x641. How do I find out what updates I need to download from windows catalog to do a clean offline install of windows 10 pro x64?2. How do I integrate the updates into the windows installation iso file?Working with Windows 10...