Windows 10: Question on local vs microsoft account

Discus and support Question on local vs microsoft account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Just setting up a laptop for my daughter. 1. Can you still log in to a laptop as a user set with a microsoft account even if there is no internet... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Camera, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Camera Win User

Question on local vs microsoft account

Just setting up a laptop for my daughter.

1. Can you still log in to a laptop as a user set with a microsoft account even if there is no internet access? She is likely to need access in places where there is not always internet access.

2. I have the administrator account access which was set up as Microsoft so that I could set her as family child account. Am I now better off converting this access to local so that I can still get in if she manages to mess the laptop up?

Thanks
    Dave

:)

Camera, Dec 3, 2015
  2. lintekPC Win User

3 questions about Microsoft account vs. Local Account

Well, it appears I can submit feedback I enter but I can not track once entered unless I "sign in" with a MS account.

lintekPC, Dec 3, 2015
  3. lintekPC Win User
    3 questions about Microsoft account vs. Local Account

1 - Ok, I get the point. But just because that's the way MS wants it, doesn't means it makes sense or that MS is listening to their user base to do something else that benefits the users and not the company. I can't see any "technically" reason why I'm required
    to use a MS account to track updates to what I submitted to the Feedback Hub when I didn't need it to submit a question/issue.

2 - After some testing, I realized that opening the MSN News app and using a MS account to connect to it would in essence change my login session in whole. That's just wrong. I was only using that single app. I never would have suspected that MS was changing
    my entire login session at the same time. "Without my consent"!

lintekPC, Dec 3, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

Certainly you can. If you don't have internet access you just need to use the password that was valid when the laptop was last used. For example if your password is Password1 and you shut down the laptop and put it away, then go to another device and change your Microsoft account password to Password2 you'll still need to use Password1 to log into the laptop if there is no internet access as (obviously) the laptop will not have any way to know you changed it.

No need. If you have set-up an administrator account it doesn't matter if it is MS account or not - using one or the other doesn't make it easier or harder to log in.

lx07, Dec 3, 2015
Thema:

1. Question on local vs microsoft account - Similar Threads - Question local microsoft

2. win 10 local account password vs microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win 10 local account password vs microsoft account: Why, if we use microsoft account signin does windows 10 not update the local account to use the same password? For example, say you setup your new computer with a password, then after first login you decide to configure login with your microsoft account. The old local account...
  3. Signed in as Microsoft account vs local admin account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Signed in as Microsoft account vs local admin account: I have a user who cannot run some scripts using python to map some paths on dependencies. User is signed in with their Microsoft account which is FirstName LastName There is a space in between first and last name and then a phone number under their account when checking user...
  4. Signed in as Microsoft account vs local admin account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Signed in as Microsoft account vs local admin account: I have a user who cannot run some scripts using python to map some paths on dependencies. User is signed in with their Microsoft account which is FirstName LastName There is a space in between first and last name and then a phone number under their account when checking user...
  5. Confusion on Local Account vs Microsoft Account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Confusion on Local Account vs Microsoft Account: I have some serious confusion over what is a local account vs a Windows account while working on my wife's computer. I know my Hotmail account and Windows account share the same password and as far as we can determine, hers should too. However, that doesn't seem to be true...
  6. Microsoft vs Local account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microsoft vs Local account: What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a Microsoft account instead of a local account to log into Windows10? Is it any safer to set separate administrator and standard user accounts and primarily use the standard account? submitted by /u/Bordercrossingfool...
  7. OneDrive with local account vs Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive with local account vs Microsoft account: I have windows 10 pro on my desktop computer and 2 laptops. All 3 are using a local account. I also use onedrive and sync across all three devices. All 3 devices have the same login name and same passeord. Basically no matter which machine i use, everthing is as close as i...
  8. Microsoft Vs Local account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Vs Local account: I have seen a lot of emails about changing a Microsoft account into a local account. I am trying to complete the reverse i.e. Changing a local to a Microsoft one. Here is where I am is. - PC is named Den - I have a local account on the PC user Neil Humphreys - On the...
  9. Microsoft Account vs. Local Account on Windows 10 Pro.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microsoft Account vs. Local Account on Windows 10 Pro.: Hi all! I have a personal laptop (Thinkpad X1 Carbon) that I used to remote into my work computer while at home. I work from home one day a week, and sometimes on weekends, etc. Ironically I actually work on computers for a living, except that I do data analytics and do not...
  10. Microsoft Account vs. Local Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft Account vs. Local Account: Primary user here on this computer...if I set up PC as a Local Account do I need a password? I use Outlook as my mail server. Will I have to enter my Microsoft Account password to use Outlook if I initially set up PC as a local account. Basically I want to boot up not...