Windows 10: Question on Windows 10 Shutdown and login

Discus and support Question on Windows 10 Shutdown and login in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. I just upgraded to the new Windows 10 1709 from 1703. I have this weird issue. I have fast startup turned off, so the issue isn't related to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lmaneke, Nov 7, 2017.

1. lmaneke Win User

Question on Windows 10 Shutdown and login

Hi.

I just upgraded to the new Windows 10 1709 from 1703. I have this weird issue.

I have fast startup turned off, so the issue isn't related to that.

I shut down the computer normally, then, I reboot, get to the login screen, and its like my user account doesn't "log off". If I hit the shut down, it says I'm logged in and if I shut down that I'll lose any unsaved work. I proceed to log in, and it logs in incredibly fast, almost like clicking the lock button.

Does version 1709 not do a full log off anymore, and does this to speed up the login process? Any help is appreciated.

PS, it also does it on a clean install.

:)

lmaneke, Nov 7, 2017

2. Why do I have to log off and then shutdown in windows 10

Hi

I have noticed something recently.

When I shutdown without login off, and when I restart the machine , the Windows 10 signs with the previous login in the backgoround.

How do I know.

I have 2 logins login A and Login B.

Lets say i log in LOGIN A.

Then I shutdown and restart.

This time I login B.

When I check the by clicking the user from the Start menu , I can see the Windows displays LOGIN A signed in.

However, if I log out and shutdown , it is ok when I login with a different login.

Why is that ?

Why I have to logoff before I shut down .

By the way there are no topics saying Windows Login.

I would take no one is having issue with it.

PinakiBasu, Nov 7, 2017
  3. SetuVerma Win User
    Windows 10 error

I have installed windows 10, it installed successfully but after installation, at login screen i am not getting any option for login and i can't even shutdown the system.

SetuVerma, Nov 7, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Hi there. That's strange. Well, I can say it shouldn't do that and doesn't do it on mine, which is also a clean install. I notice we have similar systems as well.

Is this an MS or local account?

Tony K, Nov 7, 2017
  5. lmaneke Win User
    Both. I have upgraded 6 systems already and all of them do the same thing. And, also if I have open programs, after I reboot, the programs auto launch right back to where they were before the restart. Almost like it's saving my session and not completely shutting down the system.

I'm about ready to revert all systems back to 1703.

lmaneke, Nov 7, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    Very strange indeed. I take it you work IT? If so, are these business systems with Enterprise on them? Are they identical hardware?

Tony K, Nov 7, 2017
  7. lmaneke Win User
    3 are work systems and 3 are home PCs. No. All are Windows 10 Pro. All Are AM3+ systems, except one is an Intel system, and still the same behavior. I just found another thread showing others having the same issue.

Apparently they call it a quick shutdown, where the OS doesn't log you out, but it instead saves your login state, then shuts down Windows. After reboot, your session is basically restored and everything is back to the way it was "for most programs"

Seems to me it's more broken functionality than an improvement.

lmaneke, Nov 7, 2017
  8. Tony K Win User

TBO I've never heard of it. There is Cortana that pops up as a notification that saved last few apps, which is handy, but kind of lame cuz one can only open one program, then it disappears.

Sorry I don't have a solution for you. If you could link that other thread I'd appreciate it. Good luck tp you.

Tony K, Nov 7, 2017
  9. topgundcp Win User
    The shutdown command has extra switches that shutdown the computer but save any registered programs/login info.

Question on Windows 10 Shutdown and login [​IMG]

topgundcp, Nov 7, 2017
  10. lmaneke Win User
    But why did they implement that into the start menu/shutdown and restart command? I liked it where during a shutdown or restart, you save your work, end your session on user account, shut down, reboot, login from a fresh login state. That's how I like it. I don't like that MS has to keep changing stuff. Why fix it if it's not broken

lmaneke, Nov 7, 2017
  11. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Nov 7, 2017
  12. lmaneke Win User
    Not what I'm looking for.

What I'm looking for, is when I shut down, and I have open programs, Windows will say there is a program preventing windows from shutting down, so I could either force restart/shutdown, or, cancel the shutdown, go back in and save my work, then shut down the PC.

As of 1709, I can have 10 programs open, the computer shuts down, restarts, and after login, every single program I had open before, will open back up in the same place they were before the shut down. Not acceptable

lmaneke, Nov 7, 2017
  13. topgundcp Win User

I Have been using this registry tweak to speed up and shutdown. If you wish to use it.
    Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 ; Speed up shutdown [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop] "AutoEndTasks"="1" "HungAppTimeout"="1000" "MenuShowDelay"="1" "WaitToKillAppTimeout"="2000" "LowLevelHooksTimeout"="1000" ;Disable hibernate [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power] "HibernateEnabled"=dword:00000000 ; Remove Link Short Cut [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer] "link"=hex:00,00,00,00 ;Speed up right click context menu [HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Control Panel\Desktop] "MenuShowDelay"="1" [HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Control Panel\Desktop] "MenuShowDelay"="1" [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse] "MouseHoverTime"="1" [HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Control Panel\Mouse] "MouseHoverTime"="1" [HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Control Panel\Mouse] "MouseHoverTime"="1" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon] "AutoRestartShell"=dword:00000001 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer] "NoLowDiskSpaceChecks"=dword:00000001 "LinkResolveIgnoreLinkInfo"=dword:00000001 "NoResolveSearch"=dword:00000001 "NoResolveTrack"=dword:00000001 "NoInternetOpenWith"=dword:00000001 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control] "WaitToKillServiceTimeout"="1000" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer] "AlwaysUnloadDll"=dword:00000001[/quote]

topgundcp, Nov 7, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
Thema:

1. Question on Windows 10 Shutdown and login - Similar Threads - Question Shutdown login

2. Login Method question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Login Method question: How to log in into my OS that log in wiuh the pin created with a Micrsoft Account i logged in with password when i iwas installing; without pin or password; my os is a Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 latest updated until today 14:35 Bogta -5 UTC zone hour time...
  3. Login Method question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Login Method question: How to log in into my OS that log in wiuh the pin created with a Micrsoft Account i logged in with password when i iwas installing; without pin or password; my os is a Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 latest updated until today 14:35 Bogta -5 UTC zone hour time...
  4. Repeated shutdown login problem.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Repeated shutdown login problem.: Due to repeated shutdown I'm unable to login into my windows with PIN and I have forgotten my password. How to reset the password without usb flashdrive and I have tried one solution with power button and shift key it's also not working, please help....
  5. Login Questions

in Windows 10 Customization
    Login Questions: I just purchased a new computer and it will not let me login with my current email address and password. I can on my existing computers, but not on the new one I'm trying to set up. Can I get some help please. Thanks! Jamie Bulger...
  6. Windows 10 shutdown question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 shutdown question: So when I shutdown Win 10 it shuts down really fast. It also comes back on fast. When I reboot it takes a bit longer. Been reading that "shutdown" dont really shut off the pc? Is "shutdown" just hibernation now? How do I properly turn the pc off to unplug it for instance...
  7. Auto shutdown after login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Auto shutdown after login: My friend's desktop just shuts itself down after a minute of login. Tried blowing dust out, cleaning ram, nothing works. Any suggestions? submitted by /u/Vendetta_47 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e868cs/auto_shutdown_after_login/
  8. Windows 10 shutdown question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 shutdown question: Hi. My question. If i shutdown Windows 10 by menu pc itself going to sleep. But if i have later unplug all power cords and cables from pc,and boot pc again it will resume from sleep? Power unplug doesnt matter? 136843
  9. Question about login order in Windows 10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Question about login order in Windows 10: Just got a new laptop with windows 10 pre-installed. When I boot up, Windows always tries to use the disabled Administrator user to sign in first, then tells me it is disabled and proceeds to my user, which has admin privileges. I understand how to enable the hidden admin...
  10. Login Screen Question

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Login Screen Question: There has to be a way of accomplishing what I want to do, but so far, I haven't found it. I have two Windows 10 Pro towers set up for my in-laws. Each one is full updated, and has 6 total local user accounts. One is the password protected Administrator account. The remaining...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 fast startup shutdown after logon