Windows 10: Question regarding Fast Startup

Discus and support Question regarding Fast Startup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, sorry if this is the wrong section. Recently I found out about the Fast Startup feature in Win8/10. (Aka hybrid shutdown) ( If you have no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sonar637, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Sonar637 Win User

Question regarding Fast Startup

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong section.

Recently I found out about the Fast Startup feature in Win8/10. (Aka hybrid shutdown)

( If you have no idea what I'm talking about: The Pros and Cons of Windows 10 Mode )

My question is what would happen when you have a desktop with this feature enabled (by default), shut it down in this hybrid state, but afterwards completely cut it off from its power supply by pulling out the power cord from the wall socket. Doesn't the pc still need some source of power to maintain this hybrid shutdown? (Because it has stuff that isn't fully disabled but rather in a hibernation state) and does it have any detrimental effect?

:)

Sonar637, Jun 10, 2017
  2. Ugo Lopez Win User

Laptop unresponsive after closing lid

Ciao Ophion,

I'm Ugo, a Microsoft Independent Advisor willing to help other Microsoft customers.

Regarding your question, as a first troubleshooting option, please try disabling fast startup.

TURN OFF FAST STARTUP

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-o...

Please let me know if this helped somehow.

Ciao

Ugo

Ugo Lopez, Jun 10, 2017
  3. Ugo Lopez Win User
    Shut down problem

Ciao,

I'm Ugo, a volunteer willing to help other Microsoft customers.

Regarding your question, did you disable fast startup?

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-wind...

Please let me know if this helped somehow.

Ciao

Ugo

Ugo Lopez, Jun 10, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Hybrid sleep gets best of both worlds, instant recall from RAM if power is there, but recovers data from disk if RAM contents lost due to power outage.

Just try it eg have a notepad session with some text open and do a hybrid sleep, remove power for a few minutes, then restart pc and actually see what happens.

cereberus, Jun 10, 2017
  5. Sonar637 Win User
    In other words, pulling the plug will turn the hybrid shutdown/fast startup into complete shutdown/cold boot and it's completely fine?

Sonar637, Jun 14, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Not quite. On fast start up the system first looks for data in RAM. Pulling the plug would have destroyed that. The same data is stored in the hibernation file, so it can still do a fast start up by reading that back into RAM.

7. sgage Win User
    Well, not quite. Fast Start only works with a complete shutdown, so on booting, there will never be anything useful in RAM. However, instead of having to reboot from scratch, and you having to reload programs and such, the system is restored to its prior state from a hibernation file. So it doesn't matter if you pull the plug or not. When Fast Start is enabled, hitting the Shut Down button is pretty much equivalent to hitting Hibernate.

I don't think there is a 'hybrid shutdown'. There is 'hybrid sleep', though. To be clear:

Hibernation = the current session is stored to disk, and the system is shut down and powered off, no power necessary to maintain the system 'snapshot'. Upon reboot, that snapshot is reloaded, with all of your work-in-progress right where it was when you left off.

Sleep/suspend = the current session is stored to RAM. The computer is not turned off, but is put into a very low-power state to keep RAM alive and some other HW status maintained. If power is removed, the session is lost. When power is restored, you reboot from scratch.

Hybrid sleep = the current session is stored to RAM and disk. If power not lost, 'waking' from sleep by restoring the RAM snapshot is very fast, just like regular sleep/suspend. If power is lost, waking from sleep means restoring from the disk image, a la Hibernation. Slower, but you haven't lost your session.

sgage, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Question regarding Fast Startup - Similar Threads - Question regarding Fast

2. Fast Startup Question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fast Startup Question: Hello. I have a quick question about fast startup setting in windows 11. I have a desktop PC that is always connected to the wall outlet. If I have fast startup enabled and the power goes out, can that damage my pc? I understand it's unadvised to unplug your pc or any drives...
  3. Fast Startup Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fast Startup Question: Hello. I have a quick question about fast startup setting in windows 11. I have a desktop PC that is always connected to the wall outlet. If I have fast startup enabled and the power goes out, can that damage my pc? I understand it's unadvised to unplug your pc or any drives...
  4. Regarding Fast Download

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Regarding Fast Download: Hello Microsoft Team!Please respond ASAPThis is regarding about fast downloading on all apps and through Google Chrome.I am on Windows 11 and is quite slow if I use a 60MBPS WiFi and trying to download a 3.96GB file. It is taking a lot of time maybe about an hour and it drops...
  5. Regarding Fast Download

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Regarding Fast Download: Hello Microsoft Team!Please respond ASAPThis is regarding about fast downloading on all apps and through Google Chrome.I am on Windows 11 and is quite slow if I use a 60MBPS WiFi and trying to download a 3.96GB file. It is taking a lot of time maybe about an hour and it drops...
  6. fast question

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    fast question: how do i change the date of birth in minecraft? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fast-question/e0a21780-7d3c-40e4-8ac7-b7141c4d0583
  7. Fast Startup question

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast Startup question: I just read that there is a setting in the power section called 'turn on fast startup. This is not listed on my pc under shutdown settings. Only lists 'sleep' and 'lock'. Do I need to unhide this button somehow? Do I need to be signed on as ADMIN? Thank you. windows 10...
  8. Logon/fast startup questions.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Logon/fast startup questions.: Is there a way to stop windows from auto logging into an account that isn’t password protected? Also, If I turn on my computer and sign into my account sometimes either something that I left open when it turned it off will be back and open. Or if I know I’m the only one...
  9. Windows 10 - 1607 Fast Startup question

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 - 1607 Fast Startup question: I already had hibernation disabled when update to 1607 (anniversary job) came today (and was flawless, in under an hour). I wanted to make sure fast startup continues to be off because dual boot with windows 7 didn't like fast startup. But after this update to 1607 both...
  10. 2 Questions about 'Fast Startup'

in Windows 10 Support
    2 Questions about 'Fast Startup': I got 2 questions about Fast Startup: - Should I turn off Fast Startup? I heard that keeping it on is bad for your PC. - Is it true that one should reduce the size of the hibernate file if you use Fast Startup? 61569