Windows 10: Questions about adding hard drives and updating to windows 10

Discus and support Questions about adding hard drives and updating to windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'll try my best to describe the issue that I am having. I bought a refurbished hp tower that came loaded with Windows 10. I took the 500gb hard drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by newb, May 11, 2016.

1. newb Win User

Questions about adding hard drives and updating to windows 10

I'll try my best to describe the issue that I am having. I bought a refurbished hp tower that came loaded with Windows 10. I took the 500gb hard drive out of it and replaced it with a 1TB hard drive from a friends computer. I am now trying to take the 500gb hard drive and add it to my parents older acer computer, which currently runs Windows Vista OS on a 250gb hard drive. I initially installed the newer hard drive by itself, but the computer would not boot, so I ended up installing both hard drives and the computer would boot back to the original vista os. It reads that the 500gb drive is installed on the :/f drive, but I have no idea how to transfer the windows 10 os onto the acer desktop computer. Thank you in advance for any advice or answers.

:)

2. 'Mike P Win User

New hard drive. Question about windows

You shouldn't have any licensing problems.

Only a small piece of the puzzle on win8.1 and win10 cares less what hard drive its on.

You do know you're in the win10 forums ?

'Mike P, May 11, 2016
  3. New hard drive. Question about windows

Your Windows 8.1 disk drive currently has what is known as the BCD Store (Boot Configuration Data) located on the "System, Reserved partition. If you were to install Windows 10 on the new drive with the old drive connect then the Windows 10 BCD information
    would also be located on the drive that currently has Windows 8.1 installed on it. If you were to disconnect that old drive then Windows 10 would not be able to load.

As safer mean of transferring your data files would be to use Flash / Thumb drive.

Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=flash+drive+32gb&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aflash+drive+32gb

If you do not plan to use Windows 8.1

1) Copy your data files to the Flash / Thumb drive.

2) Remove the old drive.

3) Connect the new drive.

4) Install Windows 10

If you plan to move 8.1 to the new drive and upgrade to Windows 10 or stay with Windows 8.1

1) Create an Image Backup of Windows 8.1 to an external USB drive and restore the Image (Do not Clone) to the new drive.

2) Remove the old drive and connect the new drive.

3) Restore the Image Backup to the new drive.

Most Image Backup and Restore software will have an option when restoring the Image to the new drive to specify that the destination drive (Your new drive) is an SSD.

=================== Image Backup Software ===================

How to create an Image Backup to a USB Flash Drive

How to create an Image Backup to a USB Flash Drive

How to create an Image Backup of Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 to an External USB Drive:
    How to create an Image Backup of Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 to an External USB Drive

How to move windows 7 to a new larger hard drive

Page Start

EaseUS:

Todo Backup Home V9.1 Simple and affordable file backup software for Windows 10/8.1/8/7/vista - EaseUS Todo Backup Home

User friendly interface simplifies the backup process.

Free version: Best free backup software for Windows 10/8.1/8/7/vista - EaseUS Todo Backup Free

Version comparison chart: Best free backup software for Windows 10/8.1/8/7/vista - EaseUS Todo Backup Free

Includes: Incremental backup, Disk/partition clone

User's Guide: http://www.todo-backup.com/download/docs/User_Guide.pdf

Note: Install Todo and then create an "Emergency Disk" (WinPE option is the better of the two choices) before you start creating your first image backup.

Version 9.1 supports XP, Vista, Windows 7, 8 / 8.1 and Windows 10

Acronis:

True Image 2016

Has a 30 day trial version available, trial Key sent to your Email Address.

User interface has become more complex and less obvious, be prepared to read the user's guide before you start. Pay special attention to the "Options" and don't exclude the "System Volume Information" folder from the backup.

Note: Cloning and drive initialization (creating a MBR) are not supported in the trial version.
    Image Backups and restores are fully functional.

For the trial version, recovery / restore image is available only when booting from an Acronis Bootable Media CD.

Install Acronis and then create a bootable Restore/Rescue Media CD (WinPE option is the better of the two choices) before you start creating your first image backup.
    Acronis True Image 2018 -- Comparison -- Packages

30 day trial: http://www.acronis.com/en-sg/homecomputing/thanks/ati-local/

True Image User Guides and documentation:

Customer Support & Product Documentation - Acronis

2016 supports XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 / 8.1 and Windows 10

There is also a "Cloud" backup version so you don't need to lug an external USB Drive around if you travel a lot:
    Cloud Backup Solutions 2018 | Acronis.com

Paragon:

Free version 14: Paragon Backup & Recovery Free | Paragon Software

User's Guide: Paragon Backup & Recovery Free Edition - Download & User Manual

Home Version 15 $39.95: Paragon Backup & Recovery | Paragon Software

User's Guide: http://download.paragon-software.com/doc/Paragon-Backup-and-Recovery-15-Home-Manual.pdf

Support: http://www.paragon-software.com/support/

supports XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 / 8.1, Windows 10

Macrium Reflect:

Free version: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

(No technical support available for the free version)

Macrum Reflect Home Edition ($69.95)

http://www.macrium.com/personal.aspx

Suport: http://www.macrium.com/ticket.aspx

Version 6.1.1023 supports XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 / 8.1 and Windows 10 

: http://www.pagestart.com

J W Stuart, May 11, 2016
  4. RolandJS Win User

If you're dealing with OEM Windows, you're going to have problems. An original OEM remains with the original computer said original OEM was installed on. If the refurbished HP original HD which is now in the Acer desktop had an OEM Windows - you can forget it. Unless others have a better idea, you might have to spend some monies to purchase installable [retail] Windows at least for one computer if not for both computers. I could be wrong - let's see what others have to say.

RolandJS, May 11, 2016
  5. To the best of my knowledge, RolandJS is correct. The Windows 10 drive will NOT install and license properly in another machine. To get Windows 10 on a Vista computer you essentially have two choices: (1) Upgrade the Vista machine to Windows 7 to qualify for the Windows 10 upgrade or (2) Purchase a copy of Windows 10 and install it clean on the system. For Windows 7 and prior there are various programs to allow migration of a drive to another system or motherboard, ( such as Paragon Adaptive Restore) but Windows 8 and 10 will not work that way since they activate and authenticate to the system motherboard.

putermaker, May 11, 2016
  6. newb Win User
    Thanks for the feedback, I was afraid I was going to hear that. I cleaned up their files and doubled their ram, so hopefully they won't be too disappointed that they're stuck with vista. They mainly use it for email, browsing, pictures, etc, so the original 250gb should suffice. Would the Western Digital 500gb be worth the trouble selling or should I just leave it hooked up to the acer?

newb, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Questions about adding hard drives and updating to windows 10 - Similar Threads - Questions adding hard

2. Question about external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about external hard drive: I have an external hard drive and I'm using BitLocker on it. What will happen to it if I connect to the computer using windows under 10? Can I access this?...
  3. Question about external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about external hard drive: I have an external hard drive and I'm using BitLocker on it. What will happen to it if I connect to the computer using windows under 10? Can I access this?...
  4. Added hard drive not recognized by Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Added hard drive not recognized by Windows 10: I have a new PC and installed a 1TB hard drive from my old PC containing the OS and all files and software from the old Windows 10 PC. It is formatted NTSF just as the SSD in the new PC. The drive and all partitions are shown as healthy in Disk Management but does not...
  5. I have some questions about replacing a hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I have some questions about replacing a hard drive: (My english isnt very good so just bear with me) I have been thinking about replacing my 250 gb hard drive on my pc for a 1tb hard drive. But this is my first time replacing something on my pc so i have a few questions What do i have to do before replacing my hard drive...
  6. Hard drive question!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hard drive question!: Long story short I am very frustrated with Windows. I switched to Mac years ago but still pull my old PC out every once in a while to game. However I got locked out of it and when I try to factory reset my computer I get errors. I’ve had nothing but issues with it. With that...
  7. Question about adding SATA ports.

Question about adding SATA ports.: I have a home built with an ASUS Z87-A MB. It's current main use is as an HTPC and has four 4TB drives full of media and I need to add another. I have space in the case for several more drives but am using all 6 ports on the MB for those 4 plus an SSD boot and a DVD drive....
  8. Question about making a system image on an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Question about making a system image on an external hard drive: If I make a system image of version 1803 on an external hard drive (using the built in software of Windows 10) and in the future want to make an image of an updated version of Windows 10, can it be made on the same external drive or is there a way to do this? Thanks in...
  9. Hard Drive Questions

Hard Drive Questions: Hello All Wondering for best compatiblity if i should try to find a Western Digital Black 2TB or it doesn't matter and will work fine with my Western Digital Blue 250GB SSD if i go for say a Seagate 2TB storage drive, Right now have Toshiba 1tb storage drive, kinda thinking...
  10. Hard Drive question

Hard Drive question: Hello Guys, I know this sounds like a hardware question, but I couldn't find the Ten Forums version of the Seven Forums ''Seagate for Dos, how to use'' anywhere after a search. If I may.. does anyone here know how the bad sector repair functions? After performing a long...