Windows 10: Questions about imaging: Apps and Options

Discus and support Questions about imaging: Apps and Options in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey, all! I'm tasked with upgrading our ~800 computers from Windows 7 fleet (a mix of Pro and Enterprise, 32b and 64b versions of each). I like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CombatChris, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Questions about imaging: Apps and Options

Hey, all!

I'm tasked with upgrading our ~800 computers from Windows 7 fleet (a mix of Pro and Enterprise, 32b and 64b versions of each).

I like VERY much that I'm going to be able to get everything running on 64b with this deployment, so the sea-change will be complete. I also like that I'm going to be able to stick with Pro for all the computer since I can enable BitLocker on it. BitLocker was the only thing we used Win 7 Enterprise for.

The problems I've found are really not that many, but since Win10 is still so new, I haven't been able to find much about them. So far, I've got these 2:

1: Set the default browser as part of the imaging process. I know I can do it manually through the GUI, but we use MDT to image our deployments and we rely on Lync Web App, and that doesn't work in Edge. I need to be able to set the browser in our imaging process or I'm going to have a lot of confused users getting prompted in Edge for MS credentials to install Lync via the Windows Store.

2: Deploy a VPN via command line, or create an executable to install it. We've got a lot of remote users who need to dial into our network and I can't manually create the VPN for each computer which comes across our bench. If I could create an EXE which would install it - we had that options in Windows 7 but I can't seem to find out how to create it for 10.

:)

CombatChris, Sep 30, 2015

2. A small question about system images

Would I have to recreate the system image?

buhdeuce67, Sep 30, 2015
  3. A small question about system images

Hi guys. I just want to know something quickly.

Yesterday I made a system image backup using the back up and restore (Windows 7) in Windows 10. The backup created itself just fine. However, I am saving up for a new SSD for my computer and I am worried about losing my data. The thing is, the backup was
    created with the HDD as the C: drive, but, when I get my SSD, I am intending for that to be my C: drive and my HDD to be file storage. Is there any way to choose which location I want to install to after I choose which image I want to restore to?

Thanks,

Hayden

buhdeuce67, Sep 30, 2015
  4. Questions about imaging: Apps and Options

And now, number 3. Deploying and enabling Bitlocker as part of the imaging process. The current solution looks like this- the contents of a BAT file.

@echo off

net use Z: \\Server\Share$

set /a d1=%random% %%10
    set /a d2=%random% %%10
    set /a d3=%random% %%10
    set /a d4=%random% %%10
    set /a d5=%random% %%10
    set /a d6=%random% %%10

set PIN=%d1%%d2%%d3%%d4%%d5%%d6%

START /wait regedit /s BDE-TPM-PIN.reg

FOR /f "delims==" %%a in ('manage-bde -tpm -turnon ^| find /c /i "The TPM is already on"') do set /a TPM=%%a

IF %TPM% geq 1 (

START /WAIT CMD /C manage-bde -on %SYSTEMDRIVE% -rp -tp %PIN% -s ^> "C:\%COMPUTERNAME%-%PIN%.txt"
    MOVE "C:\%COMPUTERNAME%-%PIN%.txt" "Z:\Bitlocker Information"

) ELSE (

START /WAIT CMD /C manage-bde -on %SYSTEMDRIVE% -rp -sk E: -s ^> "C:\%COMPUTERNAME%-NOPIN.txt"
    MOVE "C:\%COMPUTERNAME%-NOPIN.txt" "Z:\Bitlocker Information"

)

SET PIN=

And the only thing that this nets me is a mapped Z drive to my file share.

CombatChris, Sep 30, 2015
Thema:

Questions about imaging: Apps and Options

1. Questions about imaging: Apps and Options - Similar Threads - Questions imaging Apps

2. Question about Microsoft apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about Microsoft apps: Do I need to activate my windows to get access to Microsoft applications like Microsoft store? I'm just curious because I don't seem to have it on my PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-microsoft-apps/60f1ef94-f1d2-4d03-81ca-d080e17501e8
  3. Question about Image Backups.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about Image Backups.: I backed up my GPT windows system drive to a MBR hard drive through the windows built in tool. I have to revert to this backup and it keeps failing. Would converting the MBR drive to GPT make the system image restore work? If not what should I do? I have already ran DSKCHK on...
  4. Question about bootable image

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about bootable image: Hey guys, I thought I'd turn here and ask you lovely gurus about this. I used to work in the IT department if a rather large Sandwich shop in Chicago that had done something that I am trying to replicate. Long story short, the way they would setup and distribute the company...
  5. Question about internet options

in Browsers and Email
    Question about internet options: Just a simple question.I had occasion to open internet options,in the internet properties it still has the option"Make Internet Explorer my default browser".Why is this if it no longer exists in Windows 10? Regards. 26023
  6. Question about imaging

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Question about imaging: Admittedly I am very lax on doing an image. I did a macrium one prob over a year ago and it took a long time to do my c: (SSD 400 gigs) and f: drive (mechanical HD 2 TB). Lack of spare time stops me doing it. My question is would you guys bother imaging your secondary drive....
  7. Question About Create System Image

Question About Create System Image: If you create a system image using Create System Image in Backup and Restore and save it to an internal hard drive in an enclosure connected via usb, can you just use that as a replacement hard drive and just replace your current hard drive and use the one the System Image is...
  8. question about a system image

question about a system image: I have a asus laptop i couldnt get my printer to work. well it came down to i have been infected with some very bad trojans and virus. they couldn have fixed it for 109 bucks but i dont have that kind of money. I have system Image on a external hdd. If i put that on my laptop...
  9. Question about W10 Image.

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about W10 Image.: I usually back up my current system by making an image on another disk. I just did that, and thought I wonder if anyone's tested it for reliability. I mean is it still working as intended in W10 64? 26764
  10. This question is about inserting images in this forum?

in Windows 10 Support
    This question is about inserting images in this forum?: Hi I'd like to know how I insert an image in my posts without it repeating the image below the main body of the post. It seem that every time I post an image I end up with is appearing twice, I've messed around with it but when I try and remove the attachment the...