Windows 10: Questions about installing printers

Discus and support Questions about installing printers in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So, I've noticed that when I connect a new printer to the network via WiFi Windows 10 will automatically detect and add it to the list of installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Victek, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Victek Win User

Questions about installing printers

So, I've noticed that when I connect a new printer to the network via WiFi Windows 10 will automatically detect and add it to the list of installed printers. That seems nice except for the fact that the printer name includes numbers and letters that aren't related to the model name. I then go ahead and download/install the OEM package for the latest driver and utilities. That results in an icon with the correct name, however the first icon with the random letters and numbers persists. What I'd like to be able to do is prevent Windows 10 from auto-detecting WiFi printers to begin with. If that's not possible do you know if the extra icon in Devices and Printers can be deleted without affecting the correctly named instance?

:)

Victek, Jun 18, 2016

2. Windows 10

You posted in the Community Participation Center forum. That's not the place to ask questions about Windows. That forum is for asking questions about or discussing this web site and how it's run. I moved your post to the Windows 10 Hardware & Drivers forum
    where it is on-topic.

What make and model of printer is it? Did you install the printer driver? How is the printer connected to the PC? If you click Start, then enter Printers in the Search field, you should see "Devices and Printers" in the search results. Click that. When the
    windows opens, do you see the printer?

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook], Jun 18, 2016
  3. Andre Da Costa, Jun 18, 2016
  4. pbcopter Win User

Yes the original printer install can be deleted without effecting the new one.
    I don't know of a way to prevent it from detecting the printer initially.

pbcopter, Jun 18, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    That is because the default for Windows 10 is to automatically connect to any printers or scanners that it sees on the network.

bro67, Jun 19, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    It is done in Settings under Devices.

bro67, Jun 19, 2016
  7. Victek Win User
    Thanks to everyone who responded *Smile

Victek, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Questions about installing printers - Similar Threads - Questions installing printers

2. Question about installed programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about installed programs: So, I installed Windows 11 and decided to under volt my gpu. I installed Aida64 extreme and i did not save a desktop shortcut because i do not like those. Restarted my pc and I tried to run my aida64 exe file.spent 10 min to search for a way to find my exe somewhere...
  3. Question about installed programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about installed programs: So, I installed Windows 11 and decided to under volt my gpu. I installed Aida64 extreme and i did not save a desktop shortcut because i do not like those. Restarted my pc and I tried to run my aida64 exe file.spent 10 min to search for a way to find my exe somewhere...
  4. Question about software installers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about software installers: Should all software installers be run with administrator privileges to avoid problems? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-software-installers/06cf3289-bdd0-44a3-b1ea-6caef224a313
  5. Question about software installers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about software installers: Should all software installers be run with administrator privileges to avoid problems? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-software-installers/06cf3289-bdd0-44a3-b1ea-6caef224a313
  6. Question about software installers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Question About Installing Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question About Installing Updates: I have a question regarding installation of updates.my question is, since the updates are already downloaded and configured updates, do I need Internet while installing them or will they continue installation even if I disconnect from network? [Original Title: Updates]...
  8. Question About Installing v1903

Question About Installing v1903: Hello, I just received the "featured update to Win 10, Version 1903" in my Windows Update with the option to download and install. I did not use the manual search for any updates as it was sent while my computer checked for updates while I was doing something else. My...
  9. Question about install

Question about install: I have the Windows 10 ISO on DVD ready to clean install. I have never upgraded or did a clean install as of yet. I am now running Windows 7 SP1. I read that I can now use my Windows 7 key to clean install 10. But what I want to do is upgrade my PC first with a new motherboard...
  10. Quick question about a clean install.

Quick question about a clean install.: I've been wanting to do a clean install of windows 10 for a long time. I have windows 10, but I want to reinstall it. I want to start fresh, so I've backed up my files. I just have one question, will I need to reinstall my drivers? Because I have no idea where to find...