Windows 10: Questions About Optimising SSD

Discus and support Questions About Optimising SSD in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I recently got a new windows 10 system with a 512 GB M.2 SSD and just got around to doing a defrag. I notice it's a bit of a different animal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ouroboros72, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Questions About Optimising SSD

Hi,

I recently got a new windows 10 system with a 512 GB M.2 SSD and just got around to doing a defrag. I notice it's a bit of a different animal now, optimise seems to be the new defrag. I'm not very technically minded and I'm hoping to get some pointers.

On my old HDD I used to just do a manual defrag every now and then, however the new system is set to optimise automatically on a weekly basis. I'm concerned that (as it's obviously been doing this), I haven't been getting any notifications when it's running, and if I've been shutting the system down before it's completed it might not re-initiate the process when next I boot up, and I never actually complete an optimise. My concern is compounded by the fact that sometimes when I shutdown, a message comes up about, 'closing down with programs running - might lose any unsaved data' etc, and to my knowledge there isn't any applications running , so now I'm concerned that might be to do with an optimise running in the background that I'm not aware of, (although not sure it's connected at all). Is it perhaps better to just set it to do manually? that way I know it will be completed and also it won't be initiating when I'm streaming soccer or something.

Also, I've read around a bit and there's talk about a garbage collection process which I think seems to be a standard part of the optimise function, but there is also talk about TRIM, which may or may not be something I need to do over and above optimise? I don't really understand it all. Simply put, is TRIM really something I need to worry about with my relatively modern M2 SSD?

Lastly, in the optimise section there are 3 drives listed, C drive, Recovery D drive, and something else that starts \\?\Volume(047c…. and I don't know what this is. It's listed as being, 'never run' and 'needs optimisation'. When I type it out it automatically displays as hyperlink. Can anyone tell me what it's likely to be, and do I need to do anything with it?

Thanks

:)

ouroboros72, Jan 13, 2016

2. Defragment and Optimise Drives on win 10

Hi

I have solved my problem. It was disabled on services and it shows as optimise dives on services. I did not know, just after a research.

My disk is not ssd but just a quick question: why we should not optimise ssd?

Edgar Moreira, Jan 13, 2016
  3. uguay Win User
    Question About Scheduled Optimisation

Hi,

I'm running windows 10 and it's set to;

Scheduled optimisation

On

Drives are being optimised automatically

Frequency: weekly

However, in the status box above that it says;

Windows (CQuestions About Optimising SSD ;) last run - 12/1/2016 current status -
    (OK 15 days since last run)

So that's obviously over a week and my question is, why is it 15 days since last run if it's supposed to be set to automatically doing it weekly?

I'm thinking maybe in 'current status', does it only show last manual run and not last completed scheduled run, or is it some other reason. Like it's not actually doing an automatic weekly run, or automatic runs are being interrupted for some reason.

What gives?

uguay, Jan 13, 2016
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

Questions About Optimising SSD

5. OldMike65 Win User
    Well you NEVER defrag any SSD for starters. 2nd the only command you can use for any SSD is the TRIM command.
    That other drive that shows you "never optimize" is a partition on your c-drive.....which is never optimized. This should answer your questions I hope *Smile

OldMike65, Jan 13, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    cereberus, Jan 13, 2016
  7. OldMike65 Win User
    OldMike65, Jan 13, 2016
  8. Word Man Win User

Hi, ouroboros72.

As long as Windows is correctly identifying the type of disk you have (SSD in your case) in the Optimize Drives GUI, you can optimize at any time by clicking the Optimize button. It will not normally optimize drives such as the "\\?\Volume(047c…. " labeled one you mentioned. That drive would not normally see much write traffic and may not actually need it as much as the GUI leads you to believe . However, it MAY optimize by running "defrag /C /O" from an elevated (admin) command prompt.

Note: 1) Neither of these methods will defragment an SSD, whether it be clicking "optimize" or the defrag command as specified. 2) I say the command line MAY optimize that one drive/partition because I've seen it work on mine before but it's not clear to me it will do it for each person's system - it was a try it and see result of my own.*Smile

For reference see Brink's excellent tutorial here: Optimize and Defrag Drives in Windows 10 , especially "Option Two" regarding the command line method.

Word Man, Jan 13, 2016
  9. lx07 Win User
    It is most likely your WinRE recovery partition. You could optimize it or not - as the contents don't change it doesn't matter either way.

Hidden Partitions are Displayed by the Windows Disk Defragmenter Tool

10. OldMike65 Win User
    Well I have to disagree with this Word Man. Windows 10 WILL start the TRIM command on the SSD if you click on the Optimize option, but it will NOT defrag a SSD drive. That Command you list "defrag /C/O" if you look at the description posted by Brink, it states this: /O Perform the proper optimization for each media type.
    The words "proper optimization" is important, Windows knows what type of drive is in use, and will only use the TRIM command on any SSD.

OldMike65, Jan 13, 2016
  11. Word Man Win User
    Don't understand at all what you're disagreeing with, Mike.

I never said the TRIM command WOULDN'T be run by clicking "Optimize" and I never said it WOULD defragment anything.

I'm very well aware of what the "/C" and "/O" switches for the "defrag" command are for and that's why I recommended those specific switches for OP to see if they might optimize the hidden partition that doesn't really need optimized.

Brink's tutorial covers both options well and clearly explains the meaning of those switches - so I don't see any mystery or basis of debate there.

So, while I agree with the technical part of what you posted, I disagree with your disagreement of what I posted. Agreed?*Nerd

Word Man, Jan 13, 2016
  12. OldMike65 Win User
    Dam it Kenn, I read some of your post WRONG*Redface for that I am sorry, as I thought you were saying it would defrag the ssd, again my mistake. I also checked volume shadow copy (VSS) in my computer and found it set to manually run. That could actually defrag an ssd a little.....I read....??? Anyhow, I disabled it. along with Superfetch which I found enabled. Which it should not have been. Guess this is one of the differences between a Intel SSD and a Samsung SSD as my Intel SSD disables this without any user intervention. ..... I like that phase .... "I disagree with your disagreement" *Smile
    Mike...

OldMike65, Jan 13, 2016
  13. Word Man Win User

Thanks, Mike. I totally agree.*Smile

I like the Hanselman article that LX07 pointed to, ALOT. It cleared up some misconceptions for me. You are right to point out the date on that article, however, and we should stay aware of that. No way of knowing from one day to next EVERYTHING that MS may or may have not changed in Windows 10.*Wink

Word Man, Jan 13, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Why would you want/need to defrag an SSD anyway? Wasn't the whole point of defragging a hard drive to make the files continuous to reduce the head having to seek to non-contiguous sectors during reading a file? There is no head in an SSD to be doing the seeking.

NavyLCDR, Jan 13, 2016
  15. Thanks for the replies guys,

To be clear, from what I've read, it seems the defrag is a process better matched to HDD, so I was talking about that as a thing of the past really. Although I have seen some talk about defrag, with my new M2 SSD system, I'm concentrating on optimise (garbage collection) and TRIM, and that's what I'm trying to get to the bottom of (preferably in layman's terms). Being non-technically minded I won't be trying to defrag it, so no worries there.

ouroboros72, Jan 13, 2016
Thema:

1. Questions About Optimising SSD - Similar Threads - Questions Optimising SSD

2. SSD displays in optimisation windows as HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD displays in optimisation windows as HDD: HiI am concerned about windows optimisation of my primary drive, as it is incorrectly showing it as an hdd, when in fact it is an ssd.How can I adjust the display and approach windows takes to this drive?A quick search on goggle found nothing related only capacity errors, and...
  3. Question about new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about new SSD: Hi, I'll get straight to the point. I've been using my HDD for a long time now and I tried to update my windows and it just wont update. Not through the updater integrated in windows, the update asistant or even using the image tool ISO or direct Upgrade. It just keeps on...
  4. Questions about moving to an SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Questions about moving to an SSD: I'd like to move my Windows to from an HDD to an SSD and thought it would be a good idea to do a fresh installation while I'm at it. It's my first time doing this so I have a few questions I hope you can help me with. What is the best way to do it, a bootable USB-drive?...
  5. About M2 SSD Interface Question

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    About M2 SSD Interface Question: I know that all devices MUST have an interface to talk with each other. So I got this M2 SSD drive from amazon (sorry now), and it's working fine. So far no problems and using it as a boot drive on a PC that was built 7 years ago and out of date. I'm using a shell script to...
  6. Optimising the SSD drives

Optimising the SSD drives: Hello everyone, Since 4 days I've got a problem regarding the SSD drives as follows: every time after reboot it's always show that the SSD drives never run for optimisation although I did many times before reboot. Has anyone experienced such a problem and got a solution?...
  7. Question about buying a 2nd SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about buying a 2nd SSD: This would be considered for any HDD or SSD. Is there a way I can link the two drives together with the same drive letter or should I use MKLINK to create Links the second drive. Also I forget which type of link to use to directly store files to another location while not...
  8. Question about SSD RAID 0

Question about SSD RAID 0: I have a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO that I put in my personal laptop back in May. I also have a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO that I just put in my desktop a couple weeks ago. I'm thinking about wiping both, and using both in my desktop for a RAID 0 configuration since I don't use my...
  9. Optimisation with new SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Optimisation with new SSD: Fitted an SSD to my laptop, but boot speeds havnt really improved a great deal....approx 30-40 seconds similar to my HDD. I also have looked at ways to reduce writing to the SSD unnecessarily. 1- Added a 4GB USB pen to store the page file on.....set it up, but when Windows...
  10. Question About Defragmenting An SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Question About Defragmenting An SSD: So every time I open up Defraggler, I see so much fragmentation in the main drive, which is an SSD. I am already aware that defragmenting an SSD tends to shorten its life over a period of time. Yet when you "Optimize" an SSD, isn't that doing a same amount of harm on the...