Windows 10: questions about recovery concerning the inre.wim file location

Discus and support questions about recovery concerning the inre.wim file location in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I very clearly have two files reagent.xml and a large sized hidden file called winre.wim in the recovery folder under windows > system32. 1) Is this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by perfection, Aug 27, 2018.

1. questions about recovery concerning the inre.wim file location

I very clearly have two files reagent.xml and a large sized hidden file called winre.wim in the recovery folder under windows > system32.
    1) Is this the windows image file for refreshing of windows or reinstalling windows ?
    2) When this happens, does windows get refreshed or reinstalled to the latest build (I have build 1803 currently) or have I to use windows update to get back to build 1803
    3) If this is the system image recovery file in Windows > system32>recovery, then what would I find on a recovery partition of almost 900 Mb on my laptop?

Thank you

:)

perfection, Aug 27, 2018
  2. johnspack Win User

Compacting a wim file?

Sorry, no idea where to put this. I just recently learned how to use dism. I use it to slipstream all hotfixes and ie10 ect into an AIO install disc. The problem is, it creates a huge install.wim after 8 index mounts and slipstreams. Considering all 8 images use the same darn wim and files, don't know why it has to increase the wim size by 1gig. Either I need to figure out how to use the same wim.install file for all indexes, or I need to compact the wim file which is now 4gbs with ie10 and all updates to April. Any way to do either?

johnspack, Aug 27, 2018
  3. johnspack Win User
    Compacting a wim file?

Actually it turns out the answer is the dism that comes with Win8. Using the new Export-Image command, and a simple batch file, was able to compress my AIO wim by several hundred mbs.

johnspack, Aug 27, 2018
  4. Nick Dich Win User

questions about recovery concerning the inre.wim file location

wim file

Hi,

The WIM file format is almost the same as ISO files which is an image of a disc. These file types are usually opened by 3rd-party software which will enable your computer to mount the disk image for installation. Your question on how to install it is best
    suited to be asked on Microsoft TechNet website. Nevertheless, we found a solution thread for you. To further assist you with your concern, we recommend you to visit the link provided:

Installation from WIM file

Feel free to post on our TechNet website should you need further assistance on this matter.

Nick Dich, Aug 27, 2018
Thema:

questions about recovery concerning the inre.wim file location

1. questions about recovery concerning the inre.wim file location - Similar Threads - questions recovery concerning

2. QUESTION ABOUT WINDOWS 10 RECOVERY

in Windows 10 Gaming
    QUESTION ABOUT WINDOWS 10 RECOVERY: so i’ve run into the SrtTrail boot issue and i’ve tried everything online to fix it. if i were to put windows on a USB drive and boot it from there, could i use a system restore point from before this issue? when i try to use the restore point now in Windows Recovery/Repair,...
  3. QUESTION ABOUT WINDOWS 10 RECOVERY

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    QUESTION ABOUT WINDOWS 10 RECOVERY: so i’ve run into the SrtTrail boot issue and i’ve tried everything online to fix it. if i were to put windows on a USB drive and boot it from there, could i use a system restore point from before this issue? when i try to use the restore point now in Windows Recovery/Repair,...
  4. QUESTION ABOUT WINDOWS 10 RECOVERY

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. A question about a recovery usb drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A question about a recovery usb drive: Hi, so I am posting this because my computer isn't too new but it is still running 10 smoothly. But since it isnt too new now, it may stop responding, lag, not boot properly, give errors, etc . There are some trojans that overwrite your MBR like it happened in 2016. I may...
  6. A few questions about using and creating wim files

A few questions about using and creating wim files: I have a few questions about wim/winpe/imagex. Is there a way to create a .WIM file for a windows installation that has already been created. Im basically wanting to (for now) create a .wim file that I can install as a sort of custom "factroy image restore" I understand doing...
  7. A few questions about using and creating wim files

in Windows 10 Support
    A few questions about using and creating wim files: ACCIDENTAL DUPLICATE.. SORRY. I have a few questions about creating .WIM files. Can you use DISM to create a .WIM on an already installed partition from the usb windows installer. Or must you use WINDOWS PE and imagex or run it before windows is actually installed. It seemed...
  8. A few questions about using and creating wim files

in Windows 10 Support
    A few questions about using and creating wim files: I have a few questions about wim/winpe/imagex. Is there a way to create a .WIM file for a windows installation that has already been created. Im basically wanting to (for now) create a .wim file that I can install as a sort of custom "factroy image restore" I understand doing...
  9. Question about recovery partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Question about recovery partition: OneKey Recovery no longer works on my laptop, presumably because of a clean install, so I'm planning to start using Macrium Reflect. There's a hidden partition called "PRB_DRV". How can I tell whether it's safe to delete this partition? 131144
  10. Question about Recovery Drive

Question about Recovery Drive: I have a primary drive which is 500 GB - I would like to split it so that I can use half for OS and half for data. I made a recovery USB (before I split the drive) and I would like to know that if I restore whether the disk partition will go back to how it was when the...