Windows 10: Questions about sizing and arranging icons

Discus and support Questions about sizing and arranging icons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In the old days you could go to any folder and select Help and it would tell you "About Windows" and you could bring up the start menu, right click on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nopeda, Apr 1, 2018.

1. nopeda Win User

Questions about sizing and arranging icons

In the old days you could go to any folder and select Help and it would tell you "About Windows" and you could bring up the start menu, right click on My Computer, select Properties... (that's all just basic stuff about trying to figure out exactly what version...)Now I'm trying to learn about Windows 10 and would like to be able to have small icons in all folders since the new medium icons are so much bigger than "Icons" used to be, and just align them to grid so they can be placed wherever I want to put them. Is that impossible with Windows 10? Or is there some simple way of arranging them the way we want to that I've been too stupid to figure out? When I select small icons it puts them in 2 verticle rows and I want them placed horizontally so I can move them wherever I want to and just have them snap to the grid. And have it that way in all folders. Is that too much to ask of Windows 10?Thank you for any help with this!David

:)

nopeda, Apr 1, 2018

2. Can the icons on the desktop be frozen so they don't move around sporadically?

Hi Richard,

Thank you for posting in Community.

From the issue description I do see that you would like to freeze the desktop icons to avoid them move around sporadically. You cannot freeze the icons in the customized location, but you can auto arrange the icons on the desktop. To arrange icons by name,
    type, date, or size, right-click a blank area on the desktop, and then click
    Arrange Icons. Click the command that indicates how you want to arrange the icons (by Name,
    by Type, and so on). If you want the icons to be automatically arranged, click
    Auto Arrange. If you want to arrange the icons on your own, click
    Auto Arrange to remove the check mark.

Do get back to us so that we can assist you efficiently

Vanessa Sohtun, Apr 1, 2018
  3. adjust icon spacing in windows 10

I had the same problem concerning changing icon size and arranging icons to my liking. All you need to do is right click on the desktop. Then select View - from there you can choose icon size where you have a choice of Small, Medium, or Large. Underneath
    that, you will need to TURN OFF "Auto Arrange Icons" and "Align Icons to Grid".

With these settings you should be able to move icons around and position them to your liking.

Suresh_Subramanian, Apr 1, 2018
  4. mrgeek Win User

mrgeek, Apr 1, 2018
  5. nopeda Win User
    That aspect was much better in XP so why do they deliberately make things worse? How is it any advantage to them?

nopeda, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Questions about sizing and arranging icons - Similar Threads - Questions sizing arranging

2. A question about Microsoft store app icons.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A question about Microsoft store app icons.: Hello everyone!Does anyone have any idea how to change the icon of any app from the Microsoft store e.g. Whatsapp? Even making a shortcut on the desktop, changing its icon, and pinning it to the start menu doesn't work - the icon still remains the default.Can someone tell me...
  3. A question about Microsoft store app icons.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A question about Microsoft store app icons.: Hello everyone!Does anyone have any idea how to change the icon of any app from the Microsoft store e.g. Whatsapp? Even making a shortcut on the desktop, changing its icon, and pinning it to the start menu doesn't work - the icon still remains the default.Can someone tell me...
  4. Question about program icons in Win11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about program icons in Win11: On my Win11 PC I have 2 users which use the same programs. Both have the same programs pinned to a taskbar. One user sees the correct icons pinned to a taskbar, the other one sees the same generic icon pinned a taskbar which represent different program. For example the second...
  5. Question about program icons in Win11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about program icons in Win11: On my Win11 PC I have 2 users which use the same programs. Both have the same programs pinned to a taskbar. One user sees the correct icons pinned to a taskbar, the other one sees the same generic icon pinned a taskbar which represent different program. For example the second...
  6. A question about controlling sizes of things...

in Windows 10 Support
    A question about controlling sizes of things...: Greetings! Recently for some unknown reason, everything changed size as far as icons, text and app sizes. The overall text in my Mozilla Thunderbird app got smaller. Everything in Photoshop changed. Where I had dark themes changed back to light themes but most of all the...
  7. Question about windows recovery partition size

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about windows recovery partition size: I have a 512 ssd and the size of WinRE_DRV is 1gb. Is this too much or normal? submitted by /u/NiceSignal [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jl7c0v/question_about_windows_recovery_partition_size/
  8. questions about icons

in Windows 10 Support
    questions about icons: Hi. I have two different windows 10 systems, and they display the icons in the right pane in different way. I cant find how to change them to be alike (I prefer just the icon instead the folder with the small icon) Any suggestion? Thanks 118226
  9. Question about an icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Question about an icon: You know that little Windows Defender Icon in the right hand corner of your toolbar? Mine keeps having that little yellow triangle next it it that says "Actions Recommended" rather than the green window to indicate everything is OK. Yet when I click on it everything seems to...
  10. Question About Action Center Icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Question About Action Center Icon: Hey, Every now and then my Action Bar Icon in the Task Bar will switch from the normal rectangle with lines inside to the same thing except now there is a small circle in the lower right hand corner. If I click it the Action Center comes up like it normally would. Just...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Right-click the desktop and then click Answer to see choices for sizing and arranging desktop icons.