Windows 10: Questions about upgrading to windows 10

Discus and support Questions about upgrading to windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello. I have recently heard about the windows 10 free upgrade for win7 and 8.1 genuine users. I have a few questions about that upgrade. 1. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by real2, Apr 4, 2015.

1. real2 Win User

Questions about upgrading to windows 10

Hello. I have recently heard about the windows 10 free upgrade for win7 and 8.1 genuine users.
    I have a few questions about that upgrade.

I don't have any version of windows installed on my computer, so, if I want to get the new windows 10 when it comes out, is there any difference between: (?)
    buying windows 7 now > upgrading free to 10
    buying windows 8/8.1 now > upgrading free to 10
    buying windows 10 directly when it comes out

Also, what will be the price of windows 10? Should I wait or buy win7 now? Will win10 be cheaper?

2. Are there different versions of windows 10? If so, does it matter if I buy a specific version of win 7/8? For example, if I buy windows 7 home premium or windows 7 ultimate will I get a different version of win10?

3. If I buy an OEM version of windows 7 and install it to my computer, will I get an upgrade to windows 10? If so, will I be able to change the motherboard after I upgrade to win10 or install this version of win10 on a different computer? (not simultaneously of course)

Thanks in advance!
    Questions about upgrading to windows 10 [​IMG]

:)

real2, Apr 4, 2015

2. Questions about upgrading to Windows 10 and about mother board serial no

Hi Vinod,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Please be informed that free offer to upgrade to Windows 10 will not apply to Non-Genuine Windows devices.

Also be informed that it is not possible to trace the laptop or give any useful information about laptop if it is stole from Microsoft.

Reference:

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Apr 4, 2015
  3. Questions about upgrading to Windows 10 and about mother board serial no

siri have a question about activation of windows over online. i have windows8.1 in my machine and i activate it by some software available on internet but when windows 10 upgrade comes in my laptop i upgrade it so my laptop becomes windows10 fully activated.
    is this genuine windows10 or not if yes how can it is possible because i have self-cracked windows8.1 in my laptop.

if you record the motherboard serial based on a particular serial no than you update the machine so if my laptop is stolen then based on motherboard serial no can you trace the laptop or give some useful information about laptop.

please reply

Vinod KumarDhakar, Apr 4, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

The only part I can speak to is about the OEM version. OEM [Original Equipment Manufacturer] is allowed to be installed on one computer only and is tied to that computer, not legal to move to a different computer. The Retail version can be moved to a Replacement computer but only once. All that is spelled out in the EULA/End User License Agreement. Part of the lower cost of the OEM version is that Microsoft doesn't have to give free support of it, leaves that up to the agreement/s they have with the builders of the computers.

As for the other questions I think it may be awhile before firm answers are available, closer to the time of the full release. And the OEMs may have something more what they will do.

Berton, Apr 4, 2015
  5. real2 Win User
    Thank you for your reply.

I have seen some posts about people being able to change motherboards on computers with windows 8 OEM. Are you sure I won't be able to do so with win10?

real2, Apr 4, 2015
  6. Roger Win User
    There are situations where you can change a motherboard on an OEM machine but activation has to be by phone, with a customer service rep half way around the world and his home language isn't English.
    I did it once and I'd rather buy a retail issue of Windows. I buy Windows Pro retail only every time I buy and wouldn't have it any other way.
    YMMV

Roger, Apr 5, 2015
  7. real2 Win User
    Alright.
    Thank you.

real2, Apr 5, 2015
  8. adamf Win User

If you would really rather buy a new license than activate the one you have then please, PM the old details to me and I'll phone them up. I need one and would talk to someone for a couple of days if it works *Smile

adamf, Apr 5, 2015
  9. Roger Win User
    Surely you jest *Huh I wouldn't walk into the next room for an OEM license *Shock
    Check the features of an OEM license and compare them to a Pro license. You'll be up all night replacing OEM licenses that you may have now *Cool

Roger, Apr 5, 2015
  10. adamf Win User
    Not joking, no. My cheap upgrade from 7 Ultimate to 8 Pro turned a OEM into a retail license (which can be moved). It has nothing to do with version (Home, Pro, Ultimate) but rather the channel (OEM, Retail).

adamf, Apr 5, 2015
  11. Roger Win User
    and that happens how often *Huh
    The upgrade to Win8 was a special deal with a special price (very special price).
    I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen *chuckle

Roger, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Questions about upgrading to windows 10 - Similar Threads - Questions upgrading

2. Question on Upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question on Upgrade to Windows 11: I have a PC running Windows 10 Home and I am interested in upgrading to Windows 11. Windows 10 was installed for free by Microsoft as an upgrade to the existing Windows 7 on this PC. I have only the Windows 7 product key. The issue is that the PC is non-compliant for Windows...
  3. Question on Upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question on Upgrade to Windows 11: I have a PC running Windows 10 Home and I am interested in upgrading to Windows 11. Windows 10 was installed for free by Microsoft as an upgrade to the existing Windows 7 on this PC. I have only the Windows 7 product key. The issue is that the PC is non-compliant for Windows...
  4. Warranty question regarding upgrading windows from home to professional.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Warranty question regarding upgrading windows from home to professional.: Hi,If i want to buy a product key from bitcodes.co that allows me to go from windows home to windows pro, will the warranty be voided?https://bitcodes.co/product/windows-11-pro-retail-key/...
  5. Warranty question regarding upgrading windows from home to professional.

Warranty question regarding upgrading windows from home to professional.: Hi,If i want to buy a product key from bitcodes.co that allows me to go from windows home to windows pro, will the warranty be voided?https://bitcodes.co/product/windows-11-pro-retail-key/...
  6. Windows 10 / 11 Licensing question for upgrading my PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 / 11 Licensing question for upgrading my PC: I have an aging Acer PC that will need replacing over the coming year or so due to not being able to take Windows 11 no TPM at all and unsupported processor error from the Health Check app. When it was new, it came with an OEM installation of Windows Vista.When Windows 8 or...
  7. Windows 10 / 11 Licensing question for upgrading my PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 / 11 Licensing question for upgrading my PC: I have an aging Acer PC that will need replacing over the coming year or so due to not being able to take Windows 11 no TPM at all and unsupported processor error from the Health Check app. When it was new, it came with an OEM installation of Windows Vista.When Windows 8 or...
  8. Windows 10 / 11 Licensing question for upgrading my PC

9. Questions before upgrading to Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Questions before upgrading to Windows 11.: Good morning,I'm considering upgrading to Windows 11, but I had a few clarifying questions first:- Is Microsoft still following the horrible business practice of putting ads into the operating system?- Is Microsoft still following the horrible business practice of forcing...
  10. Questions before upgrading to Windows 11.

Questions before upgrading to Windows 11.: Good morning,I'm considering upgrading to Windows 11, but I had a few clarifying questions first:- Is Microsoft still following the horrible business practice of putting ads into the operating system?- Is Microsoft still following the horrible business practice of forcing...