Windows 10: Questions about Windows 8.1 > 10 Upgrade on Dual Boot (Touch) System

Discus and support Questions about Windows 8.1 > 10 Upgrade on Dual Boot (Touch) System in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I'm currently run Windows 8.1 Touch on my ASUS VivoBook X202E system. I've upgraded to SSD a few years ago. I'm running Ubuntu along side Win 8.1.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BOOSTEDPC, Aug 1, 2015.

1. BOOSTEDPC Win User

Questions about Windows 8.1 > 10 Upgrade on Dual Boot (Touch) System

Hi, I'm currently run Windows 8.1 Touch on my ASUS VivoBook X202E system. I've upgraded to SSD a few years ago.
    I'm running Ubuntu along side Win 8.1. It works great and I like this setup.
    I believe I'll want to prep the system before downloading and upgrading by removing fast boot & secure boot. I'm thinking the upgrade will overwrite my MBR and cause it to just boot to Windows 10? The reason I say this is because that's what it did when I upgraded from 8.0 to 8.1. I had to use Boot-Repair to get the dual boot to work again. I'm also pretty certain that the Ubuntu I'm running (14.04) is compliant with UEFI. I could verify this but I don't have my laptop on me ATM.

So, my question is twofold, has anyone performed an upgrade from 8.1 to 10 under a dual boot setup? And, if so, any issues with the touch screen interface or dual boot? Thanks for any ideas or tips before I "pull the trigger" *Cool

:)

BOOSTEDPC, Aug 1, 2015

2. Fall Creators update kills bootloader on dual boot systems

My system is a regular BIOS system, it is not UEFI. My current motherboard is UEFI capable, but since the dual boot configuration was originally Windows 7 & Kubuntu, I have kept it a BIOS system. Every single major upgrade has clobbered the dual boot configuration
    in one way or another: Win 7 => Win 8.0, Win 8.0 => Win 8.1, Win 8.1 => Win 10 version 1507, 1507 => 1511, 1511 => 1607, 1607 => 1703, & 1703 => 1709.

GaryMartin, Aug 1, 2015
  3. mlg63 Win User
    Can we install a Duel Operating System with Windows 10

If you have a separate license to each operating system you can dual boot. You cannot dual boot with the operating system that is upgraded. The upgrade license replaces the license for the windows version being upgraded. In other words, you cannot dual
    boot with windows 8.1 and the windows 10 upgrade.

mlg63, Aug 1, 2015
Thema:

Questions about Windows 8.1 > 10 Upgrade on Dual Boot (Touch) System

1. Questions about Windows 8.1 > 10 Upgrade on Dual Boot (Touch) System - Similar Threads - Questions Upgrade Dual

2. Question about dual booting windows 10 on 2 different drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about dual booting windows 10 on 2 different drives: Say you already have windows (1) installed on drive 1. Later you install windows (2) on drive 2. Now windows boot manager will pop up to ask you which windows to load on each boot. What happens if drive 2 is disconnected. Will it automatically load windows 1 like windows 2...
  3. Question about dual monitors.

Question about dual monitors.: I have recently installed a second monitor to my setup. I have a 32" primary and a 28" secondary at the moment. Both of them have the same resolutions, so windows detects them as the same size, but they are not. My problem is, that when I set it on extend mode, the experience...
  4. Windows 10 Dual boot question

Windows 10 Dual boot question: I have installed MANY dual boot configs of various OSes over the years. I have 7 installed, and decided to dual boot 10 on my main machine. Installed it on a spare SSD I had laying around. To my surprise, it boots right in to Windows 10. I can still go in to the bios and...
  5. Question about storage spaces and dual boot machines

Question about storage spaces and dual boot machines: Hello, I tried searching for an answer but I could not find one. I'm trying to figure out if I combine some hard drives and create a storage space will these drives be accessible from a Linux or macOS partition? Thank you!! submitted by /u/prjoni99 [link] [comments]...
  6. question about window on dual monitors

question about window on dual monitors: I have two monitors and when I move an open window from the left monitor to the right monitor it always minimizes how can I stop that from happening. submitted by /u/murph_man99 [link] [comments]...
  7. Windows 8/10 dual boot problems with booting to the secondary system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 8/10 dual boot problems with booting to the secondary system: Hi, I installed Windows 10 beside of existing Windows 8.1 installation as secondary OS to second physical drive. When booting to Win 8, everything works fine but when booting Windows 10, I get the error screen shown below. The weir on it is that everything is at it's place...
  8. 1 issue and 1 question about Windows 10

1 issue and 1 question about Windows 10: Hello there, I go by WolfHybrid23 on most places, I'm trying to setup my company Wolf Game Studios, I have an issue and a question retaining to the same subject... I am trying to become a self host for my website, But in order to do that I need to factory reset a previous...
  9. Questions about dual boot with Windows 10 and Windows 7

Questions about dual boot with Windows 10 and Windows 7: Hello TenForums, first post from a forum lurker new to Windows 10. I've been using Windows 7 Home for years and found Sevenforums very helpful just like this forum. I have read this thread and other tutorials about this topic on other sites/blogs and still have a few question...
  10. Questions about dual booting Windows 8 and 9?

Questions about dual booting Windows 8 and 9?: Hi I'm planning to create a new 120 Gigabyte partition on the internal hard drive that doesn't have Windows 8 on it and then installing Windows 9 in it. I've done this several times in the past, with XP and 7, then 7 and 8, but not since the change to the UEFI bios....