Windows 10: Questions after new install of full Windows 10 and new SSD

Discus and support Questions after new install of full Windows 10 and new SSD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I would appreciate if somebody could explain to me why I have a folder called Windows.old and windows 10upgrade in my C:\ I was having several... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Eaglepi, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Eaglepi Win User

Questions after new install of full Windows 10 and new SSD

I would appreciate if somebody could explain to me why I have a folder called Windows.old and windows 10upgrade in my C:\

I was having several issues with my Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7, Microsoft remote accessed my computer 4 times before they could fix it. After that, I ran into problems and had my antivirus software saying I had a shadow drive ?? I thought maybe Microsoft created that to fix my upgrade issues. That is what lead up to my current question, please don't waste any time on the above it was just info to let you know why I did the following.

I bought a full version of Windows 10 from the Microsoft Store, then I decided I was going to but a solid-state hard drive to install it on. I installed the SSD and then Initialized it so it was recognized by my computer. The I removed my C drive hard drive and all other storage drives. I connected the SSD which was the only hard drive connected to my computer, I installed Windows 10 full version and then had to reinstall all my other software programs.

I noticed the other day in my C:\ I have a folder called Windows.old ?? and another called Windows10Upgrade ???

Can anyone explain how that happened? one last bit of info, the Window.old has the same folders as my C:\ windows folder.

Here are some screenshots, I appreciate any and all help.

Questions after new install of full Windows 10 and new SSD [​IMG]

:)

Eaglepi, Jul 8, 2017

2. Windows 10 Key ( did I do something wrong )

thanks, one last question. Sometimes I install new SSDs for more capacity. How will windows 10 install to a new replacement SSD?

larryjackson5, Jul 8, 2017
  3. AndrewO23 Win User
    Install Windows 10 with new SSD

I received a new SSD the other day and rather than upgrading my old hard drive from Windows 7 to Windows 10 first, I did the clean install on the new SSD. After doing research, I read that I can't do this and that I should have upgraded the old hard drive
    first to Windows 10 and then do the clean install on the new SSD. My question is, if I boot to the old hard drive, upgrade that to Windows 10, and then activate it, should my new SSD automatically be activated or will I have to reinstall that again? I really
    don't want to do a clean install on my new SSD again, I already have all of my software installed and files transferred to it.

AndrewO23, Jul 8, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

You installed a basic win10 ie with no up dates you then had the major update which is basicly a new version of windows so thats the upgrade and the windows old is the original windows. So if everything is working fine startup diskclean once its scanned at the bottom is an option for system files click that and it will scan again then tick everyhing it will remove windows old etc.
    It depends what version your at Anniversary and there is now a creators one both do a full install so if your not a the lates version this may happen again. Opena cmd prompt type winver to see your version

Samuria, Jul 8, 2017
  5. Eaglepi Win User
    This is my version,

Am I up to date?

Eaglepi, Jul 8, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    Not yet, the latest is Version 1703 Build 15063.447. It should be coming to you soon but could use Settings, Update and Security to check.

Berton, Jul 8, 2017
  7. Eaglepi Win User
    Could you please explain the disk clean in detail I have never done it since way back in Win 95 ?? the way I understand what you said is I run it and check some boxes and if my windows is running well the disk clean will delete the windows.old and windows10Upgrade??

If you can explain on your instructions I would appreciate it very much.

Eaglepi, Jul 8, 2017
  8. Eagle51 Win User

Eagle51, Jul 8, 2017
  9. Eaglepi Win User
    I checked my update settings and they are set to download and install whenever they are ready, however, when I check for updates it says my system is up to date. When Windows download the most current updates??

Eaglepi, Jul 8, 2017
  10. Windows update updates Windows whenever it decides...The following link is for you, Eaglepi, direct from Microsoft Update catalog. In other words, if the automatic update doesn't come to you right, you may update manually. It will change your version from 15063.413 to 15063.447 and this is the latest. Save the .msu and then run it. Good luck Questions after new install of full Windows 10 and new SSD :)
    http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4022716

Ivan Petrov, Jul 8, 2017
  11. Eaglepi Win User
    Thanks, reading the fixes it talks about the Creators Update, I'm not sure if I have that update yet? is there a way to find out?

Eaglepi, Jul 8, 2017
  12. If you have Windows 10 ver. 1703 - this is Creators update. Check please winver in cmd prompt.

Ivan Petrov, Jul 8, 2017
  13. Eaglepi Win User

Eaglepi, Jul 8, 2017
  14. Berton Win User
    That shows the latest update, has been working fine on my computers.

Berton, Jul 8, 2017
  15. Bree New Member
    Most likely because when you bought Windows 10 from the Store the current version was the Anniversary Update (version 1607, OS build 14393). This would be the case if you obtained your copy of Windows 10 before April 11th 2017. It would appear Windows Update has now upgraded that to Creators Update (1703, 15063).

Do you still have the install media you used? You can confirm which version it is by right-clicking on its Setup.exe and selecting Properties. The build will be shown on the Details tab. I'm betting it will say 14393.

Thema:

1. Questions after new install of full Windows 10 and new SSD - Similar Threads - Questions install full

2. New Windows 10 pc SSD full

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New Windows 10 pc SSD full: My new Windows 10 PC has a 232GB Solid State Drive and a 232GB hard Drive. After 30 days, the Solid is nearly full. Only 16GB space is left. I have checked the properties of every folder looking for where 200GB could be hiding but have found nothing. I even checked Hidden...
  3. Installing New SSD Questions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing New SSD Questions: Hello, I am installing a new SSD in my younger brothers PC and just want to make sure that I know what I am doing before I do it. Against my better judgement he bought a prebuilt PC from bestbuy that didnt come with an SSD so naturally his OS is on a HDD, my question is what...
  4. New Windows install on SSD - Raid HDD Question

New Windows install on SSD - Raid HDD Question: Hi, I had an issue with my boot drive in Windows 10 which ultimately resulted in me having to format and re-install windows on my SSD. Before doing so I unplugged my 3 HDD which are configured in a RAID configuration. Because the OS was on the SSD, I didnt want to have any...
  5. SSD questions, new to SSD drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD questions, new to SSD drives: Does a SSD drive need to be defrag? I read some say no and some say yes. Now it should just be swapped out with my old drive with the same plugs, right? This is only a extra drive not my booting drive. It there any other things I need to do or know, thanks! 133735
  6. SSD questions, new to SSD drives

in Windows 10 Support
    SSD questions, new to SSD drives: Does a SSD drive need to be defrag? I read some say no and some say yes. Now it should just be swapped out with my old drive with the same plugs, right? This is only a extra drive not my booting drive. It there any other things I need to do or know, thanks! 133735
  7. New installation of windows full operating software on new SSD hardrive

New installation of windows full operating software on new SSD hardrive: Hi, I would be grateful if someone could give me a steer in the right direction please on purchasing windows software. Owing to having problems with my laptop and not being able to recover/ restart / reboot the system after numerous attempts. I had windows 7 installed as a...
  8. New Windows 10 install on new SSD

New Windows 10 install on new SSD: I am installing Windows 10 on a new SSD and have got to a screen that says "Make it Yours." This screen will not let me do anything. (locked up) I restarted the computer and it just goes back to the same screen with the same problem. NEED HELP!!! Thanks...
  9. Disk management question after installing w10 to new ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk management question after installing w10 to new ssd: Hello, Got a new SSD and installed Windows 10 to it. Screenshot - 4088ea7e17f1f494fa39ca300dc6e2c2 - Gyazo Does this look correct? Or do i have some remnants from the old os or something because i have those system reserveds on the hdd. Or is it normal to have those....
  10. Question when installing Windows 10 on new SSD

Question when installing Windows 10 on new SSD: Thanks for all input. I bought an inexpensive laptop last year. When installing a new blank SSD drive into it....This is what I want to do: Find the Win 10 key w magic jelly bean copy key onto piece of paper Remove original hard drive Install new SSD Install fresh new...