Windows 10: Questions concerning restored images in macrium

Discus and support Questions concerning restored images in macrium in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I know cloning a drive will in essence replicate it, but I have a question about imaging your OS and data partitions. If you image the OS and data... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by provlima, Mar 7, 2018.

1. provlima Win User

Questions concerning restored images in macrium

I know cloning a drive will in essence replicate it, but I have a question about imaging your OS and data partitions.

If you image the OS and data partitions and restore them on a target drive......

will the restored target drive be able to boot Windows or just contain OS related files

If its not able to boot up your laptop will using a rescue disk to boot up from allow you to operate your pc?

:)

provlima, Mar 7, 2018
  2. BruceTR Win User

Correct Format for USB Stick | FAT32? | NTFS? | Some Other Format?

Windows 10 on PC.

I plan to use Macrium Reflect Free to create a System Image on a USB stick (not a removable USB drive). Macrium will create the Image as a .mcimg file. The file will be approximately 74 GB. In the future, when
    I want to restore to the System Image, I plan to use Macrium to perform the restore. Because Macrium will be used for the restore, the USB stick does not have to be bootable.

Given this scenario, what format should be used for the USB stick? FAT32, or NTFS, or some other format?

Thanks

BruceTR, Mar 7, 2018
  3. WayneRupp Win User
    Windows 10 Build 16226 System Image Fails

Hello DUCKS151,

What are your saving the system image to....an external drive, a DVD disk, or an USB thumb drive? Windows 10
    does not allow a system image to be saved to a USB drive....can't say why.....only the former two options.

Consider using a third party disk imaging program such as Macrium Reflect (Free Version) to perform disk imaging to an USB drive.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Wayne

WayneRupp, Mar 7, 2018
  4. Kyhi Win User

Yes and No

You would want to Image your Drive...
    As there may be other partitions required to boot your PC...

If one of those other required partitions is corrupt and you restore the OS and Data partitions, then you will still have issues with the PC

You should always do a full system backup (the whole drive)
    then you could just do differential backups of the OS and Data Partitions...
    As the two partitions will see the most file changes

Also Backups should be to external media, just incase of internal drive failure

Kyhi, Mar 7, 2018
  5. RolandJS Win User
    To stave off, to reduce chances of, possible problems, during my backup routine, I will do a full image of Recovery Partition (only once for the first time), a full image every time of: System Reserved, "C drive" (OS partition), "D drive" (data partition). I use two external drives for each computer -- in case one of the two backup drives develops a "hiccup".

RolandJS, Mar 7, 2018
  6. Steve C Win User
    You can restore a bootable PC having all system & user files working provided you baked up all the partitions needed to boot Windows. That's the whole point of using imaging software!

Steve C, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Questions concerning restored images in macrium - Similar Threads - Questions concerning restored

2. Macrium Reflect Image Question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Macrium Reflect Image Question: I had a snapshot of my image saved in a external drive when I booted up my laptop for the first time. I recently did a restore due to some problems on my laptop using the image, but I accidentally deleted the image right after I restored my laptop. Seeing what I did, I...
  3. Macrium: image and restore to smaller drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium: image and restore to smaller drive: Hey all, First-time poster and also new to Macrium. I have a 1TB M.2 SSD in my laptop that I want to image, transfer to another computer, and then I want to restore the image to a smaller (500GB) replacement M.2 drive. I'm working with only 1 M.2 slot, so I created a Macrium...
  4. Restoring Macrium Reflect image

Restoring Macrium Reflect image: I really need help. Let me say first that the image I made with MR is about 1.5 yrs old. I see no reason why that should matter. I opened Macrium Reflect and went to the Restore heading. There I browsed to and selected the image I wanted to restore. This is what I see:...
  5. Clone and Restore with Macrium Reflect - question

Clone and Restore with Macrium Reflect - question: Macrium Reflect is used in Win 10 to periodically clone the C: drive HD partitions to a separate backup HD. When sometime ago there was a problem with the existing C: drive (Win 10 1803), the first remedy method tried was to boot the system from the Reflect recovery optical...
  6. First time I need to use Macrium restore image questions.

First time I need to use Macrium restore image questions.: Hello, so I need to restore an image since I try to update from 1809 to 1909 and it failed twice for me. Now while my system isn't unstable there are some Oddities and just figure it's probably best to restore to a previous image that I did yesterday before attempting to...
  7. Restoring Image by free Macrium Reflect

Restoring Image by free Macrium Reflect: In the past I was able to restore a Disk Image in the Windows 10 interface without using the Rescue Disk. Lately this is no longer possible and restoration through the Rescue Disk is the only way now. This is not a big hassle but it is an unwelcome nag. Is it possible to go...
  8. Macrium Restore Image

Macrium Restore Image: I just performed a clean install from 1809 ISO saved the MR image of the clean install to my ext. USB HD and 64GB 3.0 flash drive. This morning I tested the clean install from the flash drive, MR went through all the image restore set up then I received an error message...
  9. Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable

Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable: Good day, I bought a new desktop (Lenovo Gaming IdeaCentre Computer, Y710 Cube-15). It comes with a pitiful 100 GB SSD + 1 TB HD. My existing desktop has a 460GB SSD + 3 TB HD. I'd like to move my existing SSD + HD over to the new Lenovo desktop. It seems that this could...
  10. Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question

Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question: I run Macrium reflect free & create an image every week but have always assumed it created a new image (due to my choosing full backup every time) but had used a small 1TB HD for backup so didn't notice anything amiss. Recently I began using a 4TB HD & therefore thought it...