Windows 10: Questions on creating Win10 Bootable Flash drive using Diskpart method

Discus and support Questions on creating Win10 Bootable Flash drive using Diskpart method in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, 1.When using Diskpart to create a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive is it not necessary to use the Assign command at all. Ive noticed some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sportsfan148, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Questions on creating Win10 Bootable Flash drive using Diskpart method

Hi all,
    1.When using Diskpart to create a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive is it not necessary to use the Assign command at all. Ive noticed some instructions where Assign is used and others where it isn't. What happens if I don't use the Assign command when preparing the USB flash drive? Will windows dynamically assign it the next drive letter automatically which is what I would prefer.

2.Another question I have is about the Windows 10 ISO image. I'm going to use the Media Creation tool to download the ISO image after preparing the bootable USB flash drive with Diskpart. Can someone explain the procedure for copying the Win10 files across onto the USB flash drive to me please.
    Do I just right click the Windows 10 ISO and select the Mount option. Then select all the shown folders and files (I think there were 8 in total) and copy and paste them onto my USB flash drive icon in This PC. Is the USB flash drive Icon what they mean when they say to copy all files onto the root of the USB flash drive..Is that what they mean when they say the Root? Does that copy all of the required Windows 10 files across onto the USB flash drive or are there other hidden files that need transferring over too?

3.Also after using Diskpart and exiting back to the Administrator Command Prompt do I close the command prompt before copying Win10 files onto the USB flash drive?
    The reason I ask that is that some say to leave the Command prompt open and others say to close the command prompt as soon as youve finished with Diskpart. I dont know why or what the difference is?

:)

sportsfan148, Dec 30, 2017
  2. neilpzz Win User

How to Reinstall Windows 10 Upgrade?

You can download the ISO image to your PC and then use other tools to create a bootable USB flash drive.

I had to use Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive, then copy the contents of the ISO to the drive. (it needs to be at least 4GB)How to Create a Bootable USB Drive Without Using Any Software

neilpzz, Dec 30, 2017
  3. Install Windows 10 using UEFI bootable USB thumb drive

You need to go into you system bios and select allow uefi usb drive. Then add the UEFI usb drive to the boot menu

better way to partition aand create an bootable usb.

For the UEFI system, we can use these steps to create the bootable USB:

1.Locate a 4GB or larger USB flash drive

2.Open Diskpart and run the following command cmd admin type diskpart

• Type DiskPart in the command prompt.
    • Type "List Disk” (make note of the disk number of the target USB drive).
    • Type "Select Disk X”, where X is the target USB drive noted in step 4.
    • Type "Clean”.
    • Type "Create Partition Primary”.
    • Type "format FS=fat32 quick”.
    • Type "Active”.
    • Type "Assign".
    • Type "Exit".

Copy your ISO files to the drive and reboot

never use UEFI it better to repartition and remove UEFI go with legacy bois

bfvetscolakid, Dec 30, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Questions on creating Win10 Bootable Flash drive using Diskpart method

Hi, this sequence is recommended:
    Creating a bootable USB drive.

with thanks to @NavyLCDR
    To reliably make a bootable USB flash drive from an ISO file, do this:

Plug the drive into a USB port of a functioning Windows PC.

Open a command prompt.
    Run diskpart.

Once diskpart is running, enter the following commands in sequence:

list disk
    select disk #
    - replace # with the actual disk number of the USB flash drive
    clean
    - this will erase the selected drive, make sure it is the USB flash drive!
    create part pri
    format fs=fat32 quick
    active
    exit
    exit

Then mount your ISO file.
    (By default you can simply right click the iso file, and click Mount. However, Mount will not be available if iso files have been associated with a different program).

Copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive.

(If stuck you can open the iso with 7-zip, a free program).

Discussion here:
    Reinstall Windows 10 from DVD but no DVD drive[/U][/URL]
    - includes content of flash drive.

OR use Rufus (freeware)
    Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10[/U][/URL]
    See Option 2

dalchina, Dec 30, 2017
  5. Thanks for that Dalchina.

sportsfan148, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Questions on creating Win10 Bootable Flash drive using Diskpart method

1. Questions on creating Win10 Bootable Flash drive using Diskpart method - Similar Threads - Questions creating Win10

2. Creating a bootable flash drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating a bootable flash drive: Hello beautiful people I'm creating a bootable thumb drive because I have 2 new computers and one is having issues. So going by the answers in these forums I have been unsuccessful fixing the issues and the next on the list from here was to do this . My question is How long...
  3. Creating a bootable flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a bootable flash drive: Hello beautiful people I'm creating a bootable thumb drive because I have 2 new computers and one is having issues. So going by the answers in these forums I have been unsuccessful fixing the issues and the next on the list from here was to do this . My question is How long...
  4. Creating a bootable flash drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to create a bootable win10 flash drive skipping installation on boot?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to create a bootable win10 flash drive skipping installation on boot?: I tried creating a bootable flash drive with windows media creation kit and rufus, and when I try to boot from it everything works but when I get to the partitions it doesn't detect anything (enough though the installation itself is running off of the flash drive?) I'm...
  6. Create a bootable USB flash drive using Diskpart

Create a bootable USB flash drive using Diskpart: Hi, Its great to see the addition of Option 4 (Diskpart method) in the Create Bootable USB flash drive to install Windows 10 Tutorial . Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 There's an extra command directly after the clean command, "convert mbr". Is this...
  7. Create a bootable USB flash drive using Diskpart

in Windows 10 Support
    Create a bootable USB flash drive using Diskpart: Hi, Its great to see the addition of Option 4 (Diskpart method) in the Create Bootable USB flash drive to install Windows 10 Tutorial . Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 There's an extra command directly after the clean command, "convert mbr". Is this...
  8. Using Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive

Using Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive: Hi All, Ive decided to use Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive instead of using the Media Creation Tool to create the Windows 10 media. Im just going to use the Media Creation Tool to download the iso image and diskpart to prepare the flash drive. Are the following...
  9. Query for others who use Rufus to create a bootable Win10 flash drive

Query for others who use Rufus to create a bootable Win10 flash drive: Ive been playing around with various methods for creating a Bootable Windows 10 flash drive to clean install Windows 10. Ive always used the Media Creation Tool to Download/Create the USB until recently it no longer works for me. You guys on here gave me instructions on...
  10. Question about using Rufus to create a Bootable USB flash drive

Question about using Rufus to create a Bootable USB flash drive: Hi all, Having had a problem using the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive Ive decided to use the Media Creation Tool to download the Windows 10 ISO and then use Rufus to create the bootable USB flash drive. After downloading Rufus onto my...