Windows 10: Questions on where to install programs on new PC (SSD or HDD?)

Discus and support Questions on where to install programs on new PC (SSD or HDD?) in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all, I'll be getting a new gaming Desktop PC in a few days time, and I've never had a computer with both a SSD and a HDD (the one I have now is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Gaz1701, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Gaz1701 Win User

Questions on where to install programs on new PC (SSD or HDD?)

Hi all, I'll be getting a new gaming Desktop PC in a few days time, and I've never had a computer with both a SSD and a HDD (the one I have now is nearly 11 years old! And it's all installed on a single HDD [though a lot of my files are on an External HDD to save room]).

The reason I'm asking this is, as I don't know how modern computers deal with having Windows 10 installed on the SSD, and having programs such as Steam installed on the HDD - or can it be installed on the HDD and still work just as well?

What I mean is, should I install [in particular] Steam - and all my games on Steam - on my 120GB SSD (as it's faster, though it would take up room on there), or do I install Steam + games on my 2TB HDD (where there's loads more room, and it saves space for the SSD to be used purely for Windows 10)?

Also, what about the rest of my programs? I guess the ones that go in c:\Program Files (etc.) - eg. Mozilla Firefox - will have to be installed on the SSD?

Ps. It's a pre-built one, not a custom-made PC

Thanks in advance *Smile

:)

Gaz1701, Jan 4, 2018
  2. tai#mex1 Win User

How to install new programs on windows 10 ? Where is install incon ?

Cannot find install icon for new programs . I am trying to install Print Shop 3.5 Deluxe , Office Home and Student 2010 & Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 .

tai#mex1, Jan 4, 2018
  3. How to install new programs on windows 10 ? Where is install incon ?

If you have a traditional desktop app you would like to use such as Microsoft Office or Adobe Photoshop, you can install your application from the Desktop app. Depending on the medium on which application is available, you might see different options on
    the Windows screen. For this example, we are going to install Microsoft Office from a CD.

Insert the disc:

Questions on where to install programs on new PC (SSD or HDD?) [​IMG]

The following popup menu will appear from the right of the screen, click on it to choose an action.

Depending on the options available, you can choose to run the application or open and view the files on the disc. Some applications might not present an option to Run the program, so you might have to ‘Open folder to view files’ and run the setup.exe file
    from there. Your options depending on the program you are installing from might be different.
    You can also click Start > File Explorer > This PC

Consult the documentation that came with your program for instructions about how to install it. Follow the on screen options to install your program.

Wait while the program installs.

Thats it, your program is now installed.

Some apps might require that you install in compatibility mode:

Using Compatibility Mode in Windows 8.1

References Windows 8.1, but the same principles apply to Windows 10.

If you cannot find your Office install disc, you can download Office 2010 from the following link:

Manage, Download, Backup, & Restore MS Office Products

For Adobe Photoshop Elements:

Manage, Download, Backup, & Restore MS Office Products

Please note, some older versions of Photoshop elements might not be compatible, you might need to upgrade to a later version such as Photoshop Elements 14.

Andre Da Costa, Jan 4, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, 120Gb is not so large for your SSD, but should be plenty for Windows + some inevitable 'extras'.

I suggest your priority is
    a. All personal data on your HDD as far as possible. (Data should not be on the same partition as the OS so you have some separation of data from OS maintenance (think 'clean install').
    b. For consistency and because installed programs are so deeply intertwined with the OS (registry, drivers, %appdata% etc install smaller progs on C:
    c. Install large progs on your HDD - although this is less desirable from a backup and maintenance point of view. Games would be a good example.

As far as speed considerations are concerned you will notice the difference when using a SSD in the much reduced boot time. That's mostly related to the OS of course. It is less likely you will notice the difference in the load time of a program installed on a HDD compared to it being installed on a SSD.

Note: even if you choose to install a program on your HDD, elements of it will still be created on and take up room on your SSD - e.g. %appdata%, CQuestions on where to install programs on new PC (SSD or HDD?) :programdata etc etc.

dalchina, Jan 5, 2018
  5. Gaz1701 Win User
    My main question is if I should install Steam on my SSD or on my HDD?

I know my games will take up most of the room on there, so I guess most of the largest games will be installed wherever Steam is installed...

So is it even possible to install Steam outside of Windows Program Files? I could do with someone who knows more about how Steam interacts with Windows to get the best answer for this.

Would someone know in the Gaming forum about this do you think?

Gaz1701, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Questions on where to install programs on new PC (SSD or HDD?) - Similar Threads - Questions where install

2. New windows installation not showing hdd/ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New windows installation not showing hdd/ssd: I am trying to install windows 11 onto my brand new computer except my power went out while we were installing it and now whenever i try to load it up it doesnt show any of my hdd/ssd’...
  3. HDD to SSD switch question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    HDD to SSD switch question: I am planning a HDD to SSD swap project on a laptop. I plan to restore a disk image of the HDD from an external storage drive to an unallocated (brand new) SSD. Do I need to do anything about alignment on the SSD, before or after? 170564
  4. Installing New SSD Questions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing New SSD Questions: Hello, I am installing a new SSD in my younger brothers PC and just want to make sure that I know what I am doing before I do it. Against my better judgement he bought a prebuilt PC from bestbuy that didnt come with an SSD so naturally his OS is on a HDD, my question is what...
  5. New SSD, Question regarding moving programs and OS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New SSD, Question regarding moving programs and OS: I purchased a Samsung SSD 500gb and I am trying to make it where my OS and all of my programs boot from the SSD, and all of my standard files are saved on my regular hard drive. The problem is, I currently have two hard drives installed due to a computer change (I pulled the...
  6. New Windows install on SSD - Raid HDD Question

New Windows install on SSD - Raid HDD Question: Hi, I had an issue with my boot drive in Windows 10 which ultimately resulted in me having to format and re-install windows on my SSD. Before doing so I unplugged my 3 HDD which are configured in a RAID configuration. Because the OS was on the SSD, I didnt want to have any...
  7. New PC with SSD and HDD setup

New PC with SSD and HDD setup: I'm having issues completing my environment setup on my Dell XPS 8930 desktop computer. As mentioned in the subject line, my PC has both an SSD and HDD. The operating system (Windows 10 Pro) is on the SSD as Drive C. The HDD is 2tb and I plan to use this for my user data....
  8. Moving OS to new SSD but keep Programs on HDD

Moving OS to new SSD but keep Programs on HDD: Hello, Is there any way to move/clone the OS to a new SSD while keeping the programs on the HDD (and being able to still keep the previous location association with shortcuts) (example: Shortcut on desktop: Location: (HDD) C:\Users\Sam\Desktop Name: Steam Target:...
  9. New pc build ssd and hdd

New pc build ssd and hdd: Hello, I am planning a brand new build and would like to install a 120gb ssd as my boot disk, and a 1Tb for pretty much everything else. What is the best way to go about this? And how do I make the hdd the default for downloads, storage, etc. This will be a clean, new...
  10. New PC w/ SSD+HDD, possible to have programs installed only on HDD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New PC w/ SSD+HDD, possible to have programs installed only on HDD?: Hey all. I need all your genius minds and help here. Bought a new Dell PC running Win10 with 128GB SSD + 1 TB HDD. After deleting the bloatware (which was surprisingly minimal), I have about 60GB of free space. Tried installing a few basic programs but they all kept...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. new sdd and programmes

2. install office on ssd or hdd

3. what programs to install on ssd

4. should i install ms office on ssd or hdd,
  5. how to install new programs on ssd,
  6. how to install all programs saved in hdd to ssd,
  7. i have ssd and hdd how do i choose which programs run,
  8. how will i know if the program installed is in the hdd or the sdd,
  9. can i have ms office installed on ssd but files saved on hdd,
  10. should i install firefox in ssd or hdd,
  11. where install programs ssd second,