Windows 10: Questions on Windows 10 licensing for a Hyper-V VM

Discus and support Questions on Windows 10 licensing for a Hyper-V VM in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 Pro machine which supports virtualization. I want to create a hyper-V VM running Windows 10 as the guest host. I have some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by ComputerGeek, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Questions on Windows 10 licensing for a Hyper-V VM

I have a Windows 10 Pro machine which supports virtualization.

I want to create a hyper-V VM running Windows 10 as the guest host. I have some questions on licensing and any activation issues that might occur
    • I expect I'll need to buy a 2nd Win 10 license
      • Does it need to be a retail license?
      • Or can I a buy an OEM license? (I’ll always use the 2nd license for a virtual machine on the same PC but never run more then one VM at a time)
    • If i wanted to create multiple VMs (gen-1 and gen-2) could I use that 2nd license each time? Again, assuming i'll never actually having more then one VM running at a time.
    • And just curious: Does anyone know if MS simply recognizes 2 licenses both for the same PC? If I did a fresh reinstall in the future, would it make any difference which license i lthen used for the PC and which for the VM?

:)

ComputerGeek, Apr 20, 2017

2. Windows XP Virtual Machine missing after conversion to Win 10 from Win 7

If you had XP Mode, it is gone and is blocked from running on Windows 10. Even XP Mode vms converted by VMWare and other virtualization programs are blocked. User created XP vms also will not run if in Microsoft Virtual PC format because Virtual PC does
    not run on Windows 10. The only Microsoft virtualization software that runs on Windows 10 is Hyper-V. Hyper-V is only available on Windows 10 Pro. XP is not supported in Windows Hyper-V (no integration tools). It runs, but it is pretty useless without
    the integration tools.

I use VMWare Player to run XP vms that I created in VMWare Player in Windows 10. You can also use VirtualBox and others of the third-party virtualization programs. You will need a Windows XP license to create an XP vm in any of these virtualization programs.

Sorry for the bad news.

Cbarnhorst, Apr 20, 2017
  3. kwdavids Win User
    Do I need a separate Windows license for each Hyper-V VM if I only run one at a time?

What I would like to do is buy a retail Windows license and install it in a Hyper-V VM, activate it, then clone that VM multiple times. First, will that work? Second, as long as I only run one of those VMs at any particular time, am I good with the license?

kwdavids, Apr 20, 2017
  4. simrick Win User

Questions on Windows 10 licensing for a Hyper-V VM

simrick, Apr 20, 2017
  5. Kari Win User
    Regarding Windows license, a virtual machine is as any physical machine. You can use it without activation with limited functions (for instance no personalisation) for a short period of time, or you need to activate it with a valid license.

The host machine license and activation status has nothing to do with virtual machine, nor has license and activation status of any other virtual machine. It is really simple: to activate Windows on any physical or virtual machine you need a valid license (product key). One license is valid for one installation, if that installation is physical or virtual is completely irrelevant.

If you want to / need to run let's say two activated Windows 10 virtual machines on one host physical machine, you will need three licenses: one for the host and one for each virtual machine.

Same rules apply to virtual machines as to physical machines. When a license (product key) is used on any physical or virtual machine to activate Windows, it is no longer valid for activation on any other physical or virtual machine.

No rocket science: one license, one machine. Totally irrelevant if the machine is virtual or physical.

6. pparks1 Win User
    Use the evaluation copy. Just reinstall from time to time.

pparks1, Apr 20, 2017
  7. theok Win User
    oem is fine. in fact win7 oem worked for me a few days ago.

theok, Apr 20, 2017
  8. Questions on Windows 10 licensing for a Hyper-V VM

Thank you all for the helpful information! One followup question/clarification re: buying an OEM vs a retail copy of Win 10 Pro
    I've read here (and some other threads) that an OEM copy should be OK. But....

@Kari If each VM is considered a different machine, that sounds like I'll need a retail license should I choose to delete and then create new VMs over time. As an OEM license can only be installed on a single machine.

ComputerGeek, Apr 20, 2017
  9. Kari Win User
    Yes, to some extent your conclusion is correct. Forgetting the moral and ethical side of the story, the OEM (System Builder) Windows EULA, you might get an OEM license installed on several machines (one machine at any given time) a few times especially using phone activation, but I wouldn't do it. This is of course only my personal very subjective opinion, other geeks might see it differently.

For testing for instance various install scenarios, software and so on, you already got valid and sound advice:

I do both, activating and evaluating. At any given time I have several Windows 10 virtual machines, I'll export and import them to / from an external storage as I need only keeping those I am currently using added in Hyper-V. Those I use exclusively to get new Windows Insider builds in various languages and editions are usually not activated, I'll just reinstall with latest Insider ISO every now and then.

Those activated are all activated with a transferable retail license, Windows 10 makes keeping track of your digital licenses and transferring them extremely easy. However, reinstalling and starting from scratch on a licensed VM is so easy that I normally don't even have to use that option; simply delete the VHD of an activated Windows 10 VM, make a new VHD assigning it to same VM and clean install Windows 10 selecting I don't have a product key. Because of the digital licensing it will be automatically licensed and activated. This makes it possible to use an OEM / System Builder license because replacing HDD on physical computer or VHD on a VM does not change the hardware signature, the base of a digital license.

Whatever you do, common sense works here. Again, just a personal opinion: Name your activated virtual machines clearly to avoid deleting them accidentally. I use the word activated added to VM name. Looking at my Hyper-V Manager I can tell with one blink of an eye which virtual machines are not discardable and shouldn't be deleted:

Questions on Windows 10 licensing for a Hyper-V VM [​IMG]

10. @Kari

Thanks for all that helpful additional detail

ComputerGeek, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Questions on Windows 10 licensing for a Hyper-V VM

1. Questions on Windows 10 licensing for a Hyper-V VM - Similar Threads - Questions licensing Hyper

2. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  3. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  4. iLok License Manager in VM Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    iLok License Manager in VM Hyper-V: Hello, I have a problem detecting iLok USB with iLok License Manager on Hyper-V virtual machine natively as a license server, not as a client, is there any solution? We are using Windows Server with Hyper-V. This worked with VMWare but we need this with Microsoft Hyper-V....
  5. Server Standard 2022 hyper-v VM licensing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Server Standard 2022 hyper-v VM licensing: Hi there,First of all, there is no "server" topic, so I put this under windows->other/unknownAccording to this, if I have my fully licensed Windows Server Standard, than I can run 2 VM with the same...
  6. 2 Questions about VM's on HYPER-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    2 Questions about VM's on HYPER-V: Hi HYPER-V experts I'm still unclear if this is possible on VM's using HYPER-V. 1) Can the VM still be accessed remotely if there's nobody logged in to the Windows system -- or even if the account currently logged on has the keyboard locked. 2) can the VM be started...
  7. HYPER-V run VM in background question

HYPER-V run VM in background question: Hi there @Kari (sorry but you seem to be the acknowleged expert in this) If I have a HYPER-V VM running but I want to sign out (not logoff just sign out as a particular user) of Windows (the HOST) can the VM still run in background mode so other people can log on to it or...
  8. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  9. How to install Windows 10 on Hyper-V VM?

How to install Windows 10 on Hyper-V VM?: If there is a tutorial already, I cannot find it here as most of the hyper-V references are about getting Hyper-V working. I have: - Physical Notebook running Windows 10 Home (with key of course) - Physical Notebook running Window 10 Edu (with key of course) - Hyper-V...
  10. Exporting VM with hyper-v

Exporting VM with hyper-v: When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original? I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. licensing for windows10 pro hyper-v guest

2. hwo does ms licencing change if i enable hyper-v

3. windows 10 hyper-v licensing

4. enable hyper-v on windows 10: how licencing windows 10 on virtual machine,
  5. windows 10 hyper v license,
  6. windows 10 pro oem license is valid for hyperv virtual machine