Windows 10: Quick Access for Network Drives

Discus and support Quick Access for Network Drives in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am having problem adding folders from a network drive to the Quick Access. Firstly I can only drag and drop into the QA in explorer, as right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by stvmitch, Aug 16, 2015.

1. stvmitch Win User

Quick Access for Network Drives

I am having problem adding folders from a network drive to the Quick Access.
    Firstly I can only drag and drop into the QA in explorer, as right clicking option doesn't work and it only allows one folder at a time to be included. Local folders are not a problem and any number can be included in QA.
    Also pinning files to taskbar apps has a similar problem if they are on the network drive.

Has anybody had a similar problem and solved this?

Thanks, Steve

:)

stvmitch, Aug 16, 2015
  2. BrianB317 Win User

Pin to Quick Access on a Mapped Network Drive

I have not found a solution, but you can get around the problem by not creating the Quick Access from the mapped network drive. Instead, go to NETWORK and drill down to the drive you have mapped, to the folder you want on Quick Access. Then just Right-click
    and Add to Quick Access from there instead. That worked for me without issue.

BrianB317, Aug 16, 2015
  3. Windows 10 file explorer customization help

I like the quick access view of the windows 10 file explorer but I have had difficulty customizing the sidebar (Where quick access, Dropbox, Creative Cloud, OneDrive, This PC, Network etc is located). I like having easy access to all my cloud drives. However
    I am also a fan of conformity. I am trying to add an icon/link to the side bar for my other cloud drives (Google Drive, Spideroak etc) but not under the quick access tree. I would like it to be at the same level as quick access and all the other drives. Any
    further clues or guidance on how to further customize file explorer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

EarlPhilomath, Aug 16, 2015
  4. linw Win User

Strange as I can pin multiple network folders to QA with rt click with no trouble. Can't say why you have a problem but at least you know it isn't a fundamental win 10 flaw!

5. swarfega Win User
    You can map the drive first so it has a letter which will make it easier to handle.

Open File Explorer. Click on the Map network drive button at the top.
    Choose a letter to use
    Browse for the network drive

If the drive has login credentials you'll need to tick connect using different credentials. Once this is done you should see a new drive letter in This PC. You can then pin that to the taskbar and to Quick Access.

swarfega, Aug 18, 2015
  6. stvmitch Win User
    The NAS is already mapped.
    I can only ever pin one folder at a time from this drive to quick access, any other folder added would replace the other.
    I have tested this with a VPN from another computer and have the same problem- only one folder at a time!

stvmitch, Aug 19, 2015
  7. oldrock Win User
    If you click on "This PC", then Computer, and "Add Network Location" rather than "map network drive" you can add the link under "This PC" and can also give the link a unique name. QA does not allow you to rename a link.

I like to create a link to the Download folder on each on my PCs on the network which allows me to quickly and easily copy a file from my main computer to any of the other nodes and the file is easily located in the Download folder. But if I pin the link to QA they are all called Download but they are all to a different PC and Windows 10 will not allow me to give them unique names so I know where I am copying the file to.

But, if I "Add Network Location" under Computer using "This PC" I can apply unique labels for each link. The only difference is rather being at the top where the QA links are, they are nested under "This PC". This works out for me especially since it is the only way I have found to edit the labels on the links.

oldrock, Aug 19, 2015
  8. stvmitch Win User

Thanks oldrock, but still not working.
    I have tried adding the NAS shareddocs folder as a network location and I can then add still only one folder to QA!
    I even tried adding individual folders as a network location from the same shareddocs folder but still allowed only one at a time.
    Seems to be a Win10 bug?

stvmitch, Aug 20, 2015
  9. oldrock Win User
    Are you working with Windows 10 in all instances (aside from your NAS of course) or do you have a mix of OS's? I have 3 different NAS arrays and have no problem with them. I also upgraded all 5 nodes in the house to Windows 10 at the same time. Maybe you need to look into upgrading your firmware on your NAS if there is one available.

oldrock, Aug 20, 2015
  10. I am having the same issue with Quick Access using a DLINK DNS323 NAS. I can only Pin 1 Network Folder. If I try a second, it replaces the first. I have tried changing the Privacy settings for QA multiple ways, but no luck. I too think it is some sort of a bug.

coberfranc, Aug 23, 2015
  11. Berton Win User
    I have 2 NAS drives [X: and Y:] connected to my Router, neither drive shows in Quick Access but the files I access in the Public Folder do. I have the Public Folder on each drive listed just below the internal drives in the left panel.
    Attachment 33568

Berton, Aug 23, 2015
  12. stvmitch Win User
    So it would appear that this issue is not an isolated case and ios a problem with the OS.
    I hope Microsoft can resolve this....

stvmitch, Sep 2, 2015
  13. linw Win User

What windows build are you on?

Builds 240 and 532 (x2) work perfectly for me. I can pin as many as I like, incl mapped drives, unmapped drives, NAS folders, and any number of folders within and shares from other computers.

So it certainly isn't a fundamental bug but there is obviously some difference causing your problem. But how to track it down is a puzzle.

Quick Access for Network Drives [​IMG]

14. stvmitch Win User
    linw: I am on latest version of Win 10.
    Are you saying that you can pin multiple folders from the same NAS?

stvmitch, Sep 8, 2015
  15. linw Win User
    Absolutely. Five of the above are from my WD MyBookLive NAS.

Thema:

1. Quick Access for Network Drives - Similar Threads - Quick Access Network

2. How to remove non-existent mounted network drive from Quick Access?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to remove non-existent mounted network drive from Quick Access?: Hello peeps, About 2 years ago I wanted to mount the USB drive at the back of my EE Smarthub Broadband Modem as a network drive so I could access files properly, easily. I forget how I did this! I have concerns that this item is the cause of Windows Explorer and the File...
  3. Quick Access on one drive folder

Quick Access on one drive folder: Hi there. I just got a new laptop with windows 10, and noticed that almost all of the "quick access" folders are located inside the one drive. In my old desktop, I had it setup so that I could save something in, for instance, the "documents" folder local, and only if more...
  4. quick access

quick access: When I pull up a quick access, I want to see the pictures in it. Not some icon for how it should be opened. I wanna see the actual picture. I tried all the supposed 'fixes' and nothing works. Can someone pls help me. Am running windows 10 on my laptop.Thanks...
  5. Can't access network drives

Can't access network drives: Hello, I have a very peculiar issue that in my 28 years of experience using Windows, never seen it before. I have two systems: Windows 10 Business on Surface Book 2 Windows 10 Business on VM In both systems I am logged in with the same AzureAD account. Both systems...
  6. Quick Access

Quick Access: I have completed a part of my university coursework and saved, cannot be sure however assumed it would be in documents somewhere so wasn't too fussed. It was sat in my quick access but I couldn't find it anywhere else or move it to a different folder so I tried to remove from...
  7. Remove folders from Quick access - network drive moved

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remove folders from Quick access - network drive moved: Hey, all! I'm trying to remove folders from appearing in my Quick access toolbar in Windows Explorer, as the network drive the folders were in have moved, and those destinations are no longer valid. Whenever I right-click to remove a folder, the system ends up clocking and I...
  8. Unable to access a network drive

Unable to access a network drive: I have a mapped network drive that I can see but cannot access. The message from " Windows Security" Enter network credentials to :HD name My Computer name Password I have entered my password from my computer. I have tried my network password neither works. I states...
  9. Can't access network drive

Can't access network drive: I did a clean install of 1809 on my secondary system a couple of days ago to get rid of an untraceable problem that caused WD to shut down. The WD problem was solved, but I am now unable to access a drive (E:) from other PCs. Another drive (F:) is immediately accessible on...
  10. Unable to access Network drive

Unable to access Network drive: My laptop cannot open this external hard drive, it always used to. Troubleshooting hasn't helped and a chat didn't resolve anything either. The laptop sees the hard drive on the network but says it cannot open it. Any ideas? ***Title modified from: dlink 26BCD6***...