Windows 10: Quick Access - lost desktop as a location

Discus and support Quick Access - lost desktop as a location in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I seem to have lost Desktop as a print to and Quick Access location. *Confused Seemed to coincide with this past Tuesday's update (3/1/16). Also lost... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by idainc, Mar 3, 2016.

1. idainc Win User

Quick Access - lost desktop as a location

I seem to have lost Desktop as a print to and Quick Access location. *Confused Seemed to coincide with this past Tuesday's update (3/1/16). Also lost Desktop as a print to location.

Went though a google search and I cant seem to get it back. Appreciate all thoughts, Thanks.

:)

idainc, Mar 3, 2016
  2. loyall Win User

Why does My Win 10 have three Desktop folders?

I think you misunderstand me Deepak. The desktop folder that I am asking about has nothing to do with Quick Access. I only mentioned its proximity to Quick Access to explain to you its location.

loyall, Mar 3, 2016
  3. Cannot unping wrong Download Folder from Quick Access

I moved all my User folders to a separate drive by doing the usual Properties on each one and changing the location. It worked like a treat except for most except Quick Access on Desktop and Downloads. Seems there is a bug there in Windows 10.

Anyway, I managed to get Quick Access to remove the errant folders by re-creating the previous folder locations and then simply deleting the folders.

Quick Access noticed and removed them.

Problem solved.

James_5489000, Mar 3, 2016
  4. b1rd Win User

Hi idainc,

Not sure if this is what you meant, but if you wanted to create another "Show Desktop" shortcut, then take a look at the below link. You should be able to create the shortcut and place it wherever you wanted, including the Quick Launch area.

Show Desktop Shortcut - Create in Windows 10

b1rd, Mar 3, 2016
  5. HojabrA Win User
    in File Explorer Open Desktop then Right Click on Quick Access and click " Pin current Folder to Quick Access "

Quick Access - lost desktop as a location [​IMG]

HojabrA, Mar 3, 2016
  6. idainc Win User
    Thanks for your responses. I created the shortcut for desktop but couldn't drag / drop into the screen I posted. And for #2 I don't have desktop listed anywhere for me to request to pin to quick access. System restore hasn't helped either. I think this may mean a restore form a system image

idainc, Mar 3, 2016
  7. b1rd Win User
    I think that I might have been wrong about part of my suggestion. Rather than dragging it to the Quick Launch, try right-clicking it and select "Pin To Taskbar."

I just deleted my own 'Show Desktop' shortcut from my Taskbar to test things, and recreated one using Option One, where I download the actual shortcut to my Desktop from HERE.

I don't know if the proper icon was suppose to be there when I downloaded it, but it wasn't, so I went ahead and created a new one using Google Images. I just searched for the 'Show Desktop' icon. It will need to be in an .ico format. If you don't have any photo editors that will change it, then simply google .ico conversion websites and there will be a bunch of sites to change it for you.

From there, just place it where you want, then when you want to change the icon for the shortcut, right-click it and select "Change Icon." Now just navigate to where to put it. (I just pop a copy into System32 myself) Now right-click and select "Pin To Taskbar" and that should fix things.

With that said, the correct icon might actually be in the icons folder, (which I would suspect that it is) but I got tired of looking. Plus, I like the older style anyhow.

Quick Access - lost desktop as a location [​IMG]

b1rd, Mar 3, 2016
  8. idainc Win User

Thanks. I cant get it to go back to Quick Acees nor can I print pdf's to desktop.

idainc, Mar 3, 2016
  9. idainc Win User
    Got it !

c:/users/default/desktop icon - right click "pin to quick access...

Now on to a reinstalling Realtek driver issue ! Thanks again.

But I still cant print a pdf to desktop ?

idainc, Mar 4, 2016
  10. idainc Win User
    Update of this week changed the desktop folder in users to downloads = there were two download folders. MS chat rename the one back to desktop and all was well again. 4 chat sessions and I finally got someone who knew what they were doing.

idainc, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Quick Access - lost desktop as a location - Similar Threads - Quick Access lost

2. Lost ability to pin to Quick Access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost ability to pin to Quick Access: Hello,Today I lost all my Quick Access items: folders viewed in Home on Explorer no 'Quick Access section' and 'Recommended' is empty, if that's what it's called now and pinned folders in the navigation panel are gone and though programs pinned to the taskbar are still there,...
  3. Lost ability to pin to Quick Access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost ability to pin to Quick Access: Hello,Today I lost all my Quick Access items: folders viewed in Home on Explorer no 'Quick Access section' and 'Recommended' is empty, if that's what it's called now and pinned folders in the navigation panel are gone and though programs pinned to the taskbar are still there,...
  4. Quick Access linking folders to same location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick Access linking folders to same location: I've been trying to edit my quick access folders and somewhere along the lines I've made a mistake. Now the downloads and documents folders are all linking to one location.To make matters even more confusing. I have my user profile on another HDD so I need to link it to that...
  5. Quick Access linking folders to same location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quick Access linking folders to same location: I've been trying to edit my quick access folders and somewhere along the lines I've made a mistake. Now the downloads and documents folders are all linking to one location.To make matters even more confusing. I have my user profile on another HDD so I need to link it to that...
  6. Quick Access linking folders to same location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Quick Access Desktop

Quick Access Desktop: Hello, everyone I just reinstalled windows onto my computer and when I click the quick access desktop from file explorer, none of the shortcuts and folders on my desktop show up. How would I fix this. Thanks in advance....
  8. Change Quick Access and Libraries Pictures Location

in Windows 10 Support
    Change Quick Access and Libraries Pictures Location: I have moved everything from the Pictures folder in C:\Users\Owner to a Pictures folder on my E drive. I want to change the location on the Quick Access and This PC menus to the new location. I don't have to move any files or folders. Running Win 10 Pro up to date. 171504
  9. lost quick access

lost quick access: After updating 2 laptops both lost quick access in documents how can i get it back. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-quick-access/bf90fc14-3a25-441e-a659-021da19eadeb
  10. Lost "Recent Files View" in Quick Access

Lost "Recent Files View" in Quick Access: I have lost the "Recent Files View" in Quick Access on my desktop computer. I still have it on my Surface which I have attached a screenshot from for clarification. How can I get this view back on my desktop computer? Thanks Lenox[ATTACH]...