Windows 10: Quick Access - 'Show recently used files' setting disables itself

Discus and support Quick Access - 'Show recently used files' setting disables itself in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I've got a pretty simple bug, I'm hoping it's been had before and there's a solution out there somewhere as Google got nothing. I noticed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Deji, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Deji Win User

Quick Access - 'Show recently used files' setting disables itself

Hi,

I've got a pretty simple bug, I'm hoping it's been had before and there's a solution out there somewhere as Google got nothing.

I noticed that none of my programs were getting the 'Recent files' jump list and went hunting for an applicable setting, so most important is to fix this issue, but I feel like the one I found trying to fix that is related...

If I open explorer, right click 'Quick access' and click 'Options' then on the General tab the "Show recently used files in Quick access" setting is disabled. I never disabled this (though I'm not sure if it ever was working?), and if I enable it, apply, close the window and open it again, the setting has completely reverted (though the explorer window appeared to do some redraws on clicking apply).

I'm not sure if that setting is even related to the missing 'Recent files' jump lists, but I really want them back so I can pin all my notes to notepad, and it's a pretty clear bug so I'm hoping the methods to fix them may at least be similar.

Hope someone can help...

:)

Deji, Apr 7, 2016
  2. Ramesh Srinivasan, Apr 7, 2016
  3. PieterVMB Win User
    Show recently used files in quick access options keeps being disabled.

Yes, I did all of those.

PieterVMB, Apr 7, 2016
  4. Deji Win User

Oh and it may be helpful to know that my copy of W10 was upgraded from 8 and one of my accounts is totally bugged to hell (start not opening, etc.) so I am running on the administrator account which seems to not have any of the specific bugs I had on the other account (though general W10 bugs seem plentiful).

Deji, Apr 7, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 7, 2016
  6. Deji Win User
    Okay, turns out it was another option which isn't in the explorer options or control panel, but the new god damn Settings 'app'. The option under Personalisation > Start called 'Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar' was the option I was looking for. It seems after enabling this option, the quick access folder option stops reverting. So it's not all Windows' fault this time, but it could have been a lot more helpful in finding the other option in the other​ settings application.

Deji, Apr 7, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Great- and in fact if you type 'Jump' in the search box in Settings it finds it immediately.

Question - what changed it I wonder? Another mystery.. like how did I lose some internet protocols over lunch while my PC was doing nothing?? Hmm.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Quick Access - 'Show recently used files' setting disables itself - Similar Threads - Quick Access 'Show

2. I can't enable "Recent files" list on the quick access folder, it disable itself when i...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't enable "Recent files" list on the quick access folder, it disable itself when i...: whenever i try to go on folder options and enable "show recently used files in Quick Access" and click apply, it won't show and when i go on Folder Options, it was disabled. i don't know why but please help...
  3. I can't enable "Recent files" list on the quick access folder, it disable itself when i...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't enable "Recent files" list on the quick access folder, it disable itself when i...: whenever i try to go on folder options and enable "show recently used files in Quick Access" and click apply, it won't show and when i go on Folder Options, it was disabled. i don't know why but please help...
  4. Quick Access & Recent files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick Access & Recent files: Hi i want to increase the number of "recent files" shown in the quick access function to more than 20, ideally 50. I don't want workarounds or rely on me pinning things, I just want to see more than 20 recent files. The current limit is a hindrance to my work as 20 files...
  5. Recent files and folders not showing in Quick access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recent files and folders not showing in Quick access: The files do not show in quick access! whatever I try to go back to normal, it fails : Type the command DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealthand press Enter. Restart the PC. ---> does not work. Whether I click or use "defaut parameters" the ticK will disappear...
  6. Windows not showing recent files in Quick Access

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows not showing recent files in Quick Access: For some reason as above, files I have recently opened in Quick Access are not showing. Can anyone help please? 144015
  7. Recent files and folders not showing in Quick access

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recent files and folders not showing in Quick access: Hello after recent problems with my windows updates my qucik access got all weird. My recently opened/frequently used files or not showing on the left side unless pinned (which I don't want to do with some). I do have activated the "show recent files" as you can see in my...
  8. Quick access recently used files not showing

Quick access recently used files not showing: Hello after recent problems with my windows updates my qucik access got all weird. My recently opened/frequently used files or not showing on the left side unless pinned (which I don't want to do with some). I do have activated the "show recent files" as you can see in my...
  9. Increase the number of "Recent files" show in quick access

Increase the number of "Recent files" show in quick access: Hi, in the "Quick access" window it currently shows the 20 most recently opened files. I would like to increase that number to something around 40 or 50. I'm guessing I'll have to do this through the registry, but I don't know where. Any help would be greatly appreciated....
  10. File Explorer - Quick Access Does Not Show Recent Files

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer - Quick Access Does Not Show Recent Files: For some strange reasons, File Explorer no longer shows the Recent files. Is there any way to fix this?*Rolleyes 58261