Windows 10: Quick Easy Programming In Win10?

Discus and support Quick Easy Programming In Win10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I used to sit down and fire up Basic - command line stuff of course - and put in a few commands and get done whatever I wanted to have done. Read... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by abrogard, Dec 18, 2016.

1. abrogard Win User

Quick Easy Programming In Win10?

I used to sit down and fire up Basic - command line stuff of course - and put in a few commands and get done whatever I wanted to have done.

Read text files, input them to arrays, play with them. output what I wanted. Write it to a file.

No compiling. No messing with IDEs. No messing with anything.

Now I find Basic just won't run on win10 apparently. None of them. Or if they do it's a hassle with Dos boxes and whatever.

What can I do to be able to sit down at my win10 machine and almost immediately be inputting code and getting output?

:)

abrogard, Dec 18, 2016

2. Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.213.5087.0) - Error 0x80070643

As this was a rather new installation with few apps/programs installed, I chose to reset the whole computer, just keeping my files. It solved the problem. Reinsallation of the lost programes was easy and quick.

Arvid GunderBørretzen, Dec 18, 2016
  3. Automatic Broadband (PPPoE) Connection on Windows 10

It also bothered me, so i developed a quick and easy program for this :

PPPoE Auto-Connect

CristianRomascu, Dec 18, 2016
  4. swarfega Win User

You could think about installing a vmware solution and installing an older version of Windows. One that is compatible with your software.

swarfega, Dec 18, 2016
  5. abrogard Win User
    i've found R. That might be the thing.

abrogard, Dec 18, 2016
  6. Html? Ruby is cool but if you really want to have fun, try c#(I DID read your post about not wanting to compile so probably not that great of an ootion)

sparkie5571, Dec 19, 2016
  7. redwdc Win User
    Setting up DOSBox or for that matter Oracle's VirtualBox is very easy. I use VirtualBox to run some old programs. I have it set up to read my "Data" drive which it does with no problems. Also check out QBasic Compiler and Software, Articles and Tutorials they have free set up software for QBasic to DOSBox.

redwdc, Dec 19, 2016
  8. Fafhrd Win User

Microsoft offer a free "starter" version of Visual Basic, called Microsoft Small Basic
    see:

Microsoft Small Basic

There are downloads, tutorials and free examples and much more on offer from links on the page.

If you want to try more fully-featured Microsoft Programming tools and environments Microsoft offers development tools through MSDN and the Dev Center to users with Microsoft accounts.

For instance, there is a developer version of Windows 10 with Visual Studio and other tools in a large download available here as a VM (Virtual Machine) which can be run as an Enterprise Trial, a VM or as a native VHD boot on a PC that has a digital license for Windows 10.

Fafhrd, Dec 19, 2016
  9. redwdc Win User
    abrogard
    I just came across QB64:

If you're interested you can download it from the www.qb64.net
    You can find their wiki page at www.qb64.net/wiki

Hope this helps.
    red

redwdc, Jan 11, 2017
  10. EdTittel Win User
    PowerShell is built into Windows and current versions border on full-on programming language capabilities (including compilation) even though it's a scripting language ... and reasonably easy to learn and use at that! See TechNet for a raft of guides, introductions, and reference materials.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 11, 2017
  11. Superfly Win User
    Agreed.. PS is super for scripting, but I think the OP is a VB guy that uses the old Active-X stuff?... but then who am I to talk, I was a baby and grew up with IDE's... LOL

Superfly, Jan 11, 2017
  12. EdTittel Win User
    Yes, Superfly you are right. But PS comes close to doing most of what VB could do back in the day. It will be interesting to see what the OP settles on as "the right solution" for his or her purposes. I go all the way back to socket libraries meself....
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 11, 2017
  13. abrogard Win User

Yes, it'll be interesting to me, too... I'm busy downloading, installing, reading, trying....

Thanks all for the clues, enough to keep me busy....

*Smile

abrogard, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Quick Easy Programming In Win10? - Similar Threads - Quick Easy Programming

2. A program that quickly manages monitors?

in Windows 10 Customization
    A program that quickly manages monitors?: I have a 3 monitor setup but sometimes there are moments when I might just need one monitor working like when I'm watching a movie and don't need the other monitor's brightness distracting me. What program or setting can I utilize so that I can quickly change setups. At the...
  3. A program that quickly manages monitors?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A program that quickly manages monitors?: I have a 3 monitor setup but sometimes there are moments when I might just need one monitor working like when I'm watching a movie and don't need the other monitor's brightness distracting me. What program or setting can I utilize so that I can quickly change setups. At the...
  4. A program that quickly manages monitors?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Quick and easy way to configure several machines identically?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Quick and easy way to configure several machines identically?: Hi All, I know that there are tools to deploy pre-configured Windows installations in large networks, so that every new machine comes with the same features and settings. We would like to use something similar (at tiny scale) but with machines which have Win10 Home...
  6. Quick Access WIN10 - 2004

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick Access WIN10 - 2004: I upgraded my Dell Inspiron 5770 to WIN10 - 2004 and everything is working sofar fine. I have only one problem. In the beginning, Quick Access was working fine. It stopped working after about 1 week. When I try to pin a folder to Quick Access I receive the following message:...
  7. Defragmentation program for Win10?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defragmentation program for Win10?: Is there a (useful!) tool for hard disk defragmentation for Win10? Ideally also for internal ones that are docked in an Icybox and external ones... Defragmentierungsprogramm für Win10?
  8. Quick Assist / MSRA Easy Connect without Internet Internal LAN

Quick Assist / MSRA Easy Connect without Internet Internal LAN: Dear All, I need guidance here as my organisation is running the LAN that is not connected to the Internet. To be able to support across different location, I will need to implement remote access to quickly understand their problem and resolve it. Quick Assist When I...
  9. Adding programs/commands to quick launch

Adding programs/commands to quick launch: So I've got my Windows 10 looking like my Windows 7 now with a quick launch on the left side like I like it, but I want to add a couple more things to the quick launch. One is a button to do what Windows-Tab does in Windows 10. Sometimes I'm just clicking around the screen...
  10. Please: Quick Update On Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Please: Quick Update On Win10: Control Panel isn't there. User accounts aren't there. My own user account is now a 'microsoft account' Two modern win10 computers: A shows computers on the LAN. B shows none . Put B in a Workgroup and it still shows nothing. A sees B but can't log in: 'password expired'...