Windows 10: quick launch: how to reorder icons

Discus and support quick launch: how to reorder icons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have installed Quick Launch on my Windows 10 task bar. It works ! However, I would like to reorder the icons in a way that makes sense to me. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Peri Hartman, Jul 27, 2016.

1. quick launch: how to reorder icons

I have installed Quick Launch on my Windows 10 task bar. It works !

However, I would like to reorder the icons in a way that makes sense to me. The only reordering I have been able to discover so far is to move an icon to the end of the list. Is there a way to directly order them?

:)

Peri Hartman, Jul 27, 2016

2. Can no longer reorder Quick Access folders in list

Not working for me. Here's the strange thing: I can reorder the Windows-default Quick Access items (Desktop, Downloads, Documents, Pictures), but I CANNOT reorder folders that I have pinned to Quick Access

Heinz57Sriracha, Jul 27, 2016
  3. n9 modify quick launch bar

how can i edit the quick launch bar's icons?

theking2---01, Jul 27, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

quick launch: how to reorder icons

It's a bit tricky, but Quick Launch icons can be placed in between other icons. With tricky I mean it really needs such a precision that I usually just give up and order them in preferred order moving them one by one to last position until I have them as I want to.

My Taskbar is vertically at left but these instructions apply to default bottom Taskbar as well. In this example I will move the Weather app shortcut.

Unlock Taskbar, you can toggle lock / unlock by right clicking Taskbar and selecting Lock the taskbar:

quick launch: how to reorder icons [​IMG]

Temporarily increase the size of Quick Launch area by dragging the divider line (#1 in first screenshot below). Drag and drop a shortcut where you want to place it (#2 in first screenshot below). You will see a small icon overlay at bottom right corner of the icon.

Red circle with red diagonal line: Dropping / moving not possible to that place:

A + sign: Dropping possible but the shortcut will be dropped after the last shortcut

An arrow: Drops the shortcut icon to current place:

Shortcut moved:

When done resize Quick Launch area again as you prefer with the divider, finally lock the Taskbar.

5. Thanks, Kari. I had tried pretty much exactly what you suggest but hadn't seen the arrow symbol, only the plus. It works reasonably well, though MS certainly could improve it.

Like you (apparently), I'm happy to have Quick Launch working again. It truly is a very quick way to open various tools or folders that you use frequently throughout the day. Pinning the task bar works too, but I find it too hard to find what I'm looking for that way.

Microsoft, if you're reading this. take note. This is an important legacy feature that some of us really appreciate !

Peri Hartman, Jul 27, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    You are welcome *Smile

Kari, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

quick launch: how to reorder icons

1. quick launch: how to reorder icons - Similar Threads - quick launch reorder

2. Quick launch icons randomly disappear.

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick launch icons randomly disappear.: So this only happened recently, and only about four times (within say two months), and it seems random, but some of my quick launch icons by my clock just randomly disappear. I can't figure out why. Like they will all be there like the picture below, but then one day Dropbox...
  3. Quick Launch icons?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Quick Launch icons?: How do I Change the icon size on the Quick Launch list? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/quick-launch-icons/a1bd1b0d-244e-41c7-912a-e8a797fbad1d
  4. Quick Launch Toolbar Icons

Quick Launch Toolbar Icons: The icons in my Quick Launch toolbar seem to change sizes after reboot ... and sometimes even without a reboot. Sometimes they're the same height at the regular toolbar, and sometimes they're smaller. When smaller they're really too small and make the Quick Launch toolbar...
  5. Size of Quick Launch icons changed

in Windows 10 Support
    Size of Quick Launch icons changed: Hello all, I have a very populated Quick Launch area with the icons set to small on my work computer. Today I found that the icons in the QL changed in size; previously I had the task bar two lines high and two lines of icons fit in the area. If I want to fit two lines of...
  6. Cannot reorder "Desktop" in Quick Access

Cannot reorder "Desktop" in Quick Access: I have a brand new PC with Windows 10 pro (17763). I can pin Desktop to Quick Access but I cannot drag and drop it to reorder it. I can drag and drop every other items in the list one by one (Documents, Downloads and some folders) to move Desktop all the way to the top....
  7. How to Toggle an Outlook Mail Icon on Quick Launch

in Microsoft Office and 365
    How to Toggle an Outlook Mail Icon on Quick Launch: I have placed an icon controlling the Outlook Mail application on the Quick Launch Toolbar. By Outlook mail I mean the W10 app that interfaces with Outlook.com (not the original Outlook). My problem is that I want to toggle this icon so that it will turn on Outlook and then...
  8. How to get a file explorer icon into the Quick Launch Toolbar

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get a file explorer icon into the Quick Launch Toolbar: My system has just had its Windows 10 Pro x64 re-installed after it stopped booting. I now have dozens, if not hundreds of thing to re-configure. I've re-instated the Quick Launch Toolbar, and now I'm trying to get an icon for File Explorer in this toolbar. This basically...
  9. Quick Launch bar won't take icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick Launch bar won't take icons: Today I had problems getting my system cleaned out of Adobe's Creative Cloud and reinstalling an old version of Photoshop. When I was done, I went to add the PS icon to the Quick Launch bar but I got the red circle with the bar across it. Same with any other icons. The ones...
  10. Customise size of Quick Launch icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Customise size of Quick Launch icons: I have a Quick Launch bar on the left-hand side of my taskbar. If I select 'Small icons', the icons are incredibly small, and it is difficult to hit a specific one quickly. [img] If I select 'Large icons' then they are incredibly large, to the point that they...