Windows 10: Quick question about UEFI before installing Windows 10

Discus and support Quick question about UEFI before installing Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm preparing to install Windows 10 on my new PC. The motherboard is the Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 7. I have a quick question about a UEFI setting before I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rivre, Jun 22, 2016.

1. rivre Win User

Quick question about UEFI before installing Windows 10

I'm preparing to install Windows 10 on my new PC. The motherboard is the Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 7. I have a quick question about a UEFI setting before I begin:

Under "storage boot option control" in the UEFI, I have these options:

- Legacy only (default)
    - UEFI Only
    - Disabled

I was told in the forums to make sure I install Windows 10 in UEFI mode. Gigabyte told me this board only supports UEFI - there's no legacy BIOS. Maybe I'm a bit confused. What is the "storage boot option control" for? Should I leave that on "Legacy only " or should I set it to "UEFI Only" for Windows 10?

Also, under CSM support:
    Enables or disables UEFI CSM (Compatibility Support Module) to support a legacy PC boot process.
    - Enabled - enables UEFI CSM (default)
    - Disabled - disables UEFI CSM and supports UEFI BIOS boot process only.

Which one should I select? I already have "Windows 8/10" selected under "Windows 8/10" features. I'm using a 2TB mechanical drive, no SSD.

:)

rivre, Jun 22, 2016

2. Quick question About Windows 10

The same as those who got the icon without issue or didn't bother with the icon at all for the most part.

Suggestions:

-- Wait a couple of weeks after the initial release.

-- Full system image backup to external media before you initiate the upgrade.

-- Verify (manually) for each of your important pieces of software and important pieces of hardware that the manufacturer supports said thing with Windows 10.

Shenan Stanley, Jun 22, 2016
  3. Quick question About Windows 10

You will get your Windows 10 upgrade as long as you made your reservation and you have checked your system readiness:

use it to check your system readiness.

How
    to reserve your free upgrade to Windows 10

Quick question about UEFI before installing Windows 10 [​IMG]

Click the hamburger menu at the upper left hand corner.

Click Check your PC

Wait while the scan prepares a report, when complete, you should see the following:

Backup your computer:

When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup. See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running:

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7
    Windows 8/8.1

Also review:

How
    to manually backup and restore your files

How to: 10 Tips before
    installing the latest Windows 10 build

How to: 10 things
    to do if Windows 10 Setup fails.

How
    to: Determine if an application or hardware device is compatible with Windows 10

Once you have installed these important updates and followed the prerequisite instructions, you should be ready to receive your
    free update to Windows 10 this summer.

Andre Da Costa, Jun 22, 2016
  4. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

That MB supports both UEFI and BIOS mode . Hence CSM (Compatible System Mode or something along those lines)

For installing W10 with UEFI only disable CSM.
    How you set boot control will depend on the media you are going to use for installation. Normally W10 installation media supports both legacy and UEFI modes.
    You could try setting it to UEFI only and if it boots you're good to go.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jun 22, 2016
  5. rivre Win User
    Thank you very much. I asked Gigabyte twice and both times they told me this motherboard supports UEFI only, not legacy BIOS. But then they told me to keep CSM enabled. She said I "have to". I was left very confused.

I want to be sure to install in UEFI mode so it sounds like I should disable CSM.

rivre, Jun 22, 2016
  6. rivre Win User
    OK so I disabled CSM and the other options disappeared. I guess I'm all set unless I run into a boot issue.

Another quick question - should I enable "Secure Boot"? It's set to disabled by default.

rivre, Jun 22, 2016
  7. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Secure boot can be enabled or disabled. It only protects the boot sector from viruses etc.
    Normally I have it enabled. Can't recall what the default is on my MB.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jun 22, 2016
  8. rivre Win User

Err, okay I'm having an issue. Now that CSM is disabled, the PC keeps booting back into the UEFI/BIOS automatically. Every time I boot up the PC it boots into the BIOS again. This just started just now when I disabled CSM. Maybe that should be left enabled then? Confused.

rivre, Jun 22, 2016
  9. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Yes, that's actually quite normal as it has detected an unexpected change and requires some confirmation.

Enter the bios and enable CSM and disable Secure boot.
    That should break the loop. If that works you can try disabling CSM again and try to boot from your install media.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jun 22, 2016
  10. topgundcp Win User
    Make sure you have only one HD/SSD connected to your PC so temporarily disconnect the rest during installation.
    • Disable CSM & Disable Secure boot.
    • Find out which function key to invoke Boot Menu then boot up your PC with the Installation USB connected.
    • Boot up your PC and keep tapping with the Function key in step 3 to display the Boot Menu.
    • From Boot Menu, there are 2 options for Legacy(MBR) and UEFI. Select UEFI

• On the first screen, hold down SHIFT key and press F10, type:
      dispart
      select disk 0
      clean
      exit
      exit
    • Click Next, select Customize then continue the installation

topgundcp, Jun 22, 2016
  11. rivre Win User
    Thanks but what does this do?

rivre, Jun 22, 2016
  12. rivre Win User
    If I enable CSM I don't have an option to disable Secure Boot. The Secure Boot option is only available if I disable CSM.

With CSM disabled, I now have this:

System Mode State: Setup
    Secure Boot State: Disabled.

As soon as I disable CMS though I'm stuck int he loop. It keeps booting to the BIOS. If I enable CSM the option the secure boot option disappears but then the loop is broken and it skips the BIOS upon reboot.

Note I don't have my Windows 10 USB thumb drive plugged in yet - I was trying to make sure my settings were correct before I plugged in my install media.

rivre, Jun 22, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Disable that setting.

NavyLCDR, Jun 22, 2016
  14. rivre Win User
    Could you please explain why? Gigabyte told me twice to keep that set to "Windows 8/10" if I'm installing Windows 10. Very confused here now. I can't believe it's this confusing to set my motherboard for UEFI properly for windows 10 installation. I appreciate the advice. I'm just confused here.

rivre, Jun 22, 2016
  15. rivre Win User
    rivre, Jun 22, 2016
Thema:

1. Quick question about UEFI before installing Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Quick question UEFI

2. Question about quick assist

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about quick assist: So, I’ve been having some issues with a potential malware and hundreds of these weird files that I didn’t know what they were so I got into touch with someone from tech support through live chat. I was asked a few questions before he asked whether or not I would feel...
  3. Quick Question about Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Quick Question about Windows: Hi Just wondering if you could pass a question onto your CEO Satya Nadella.... "Looking towards the future do you think that it is feasible to anticipate that an operating system will be developed which will actually be stable, providing functionality that will be reliable...
  4. Quick question about encryption.

Quick question about encryption.: I want to encrypt a folder but the folder will be getting files added to it on a regular basis. Does windows 10 auto encrypt the files I add to the encrypted folder? submitted by /u/EdwardTeach84 [link] [comments]...
  5. Hi, quick question about Windows 10 Education

Hi, quick question about Windows 10 Education: Can you downgrade from Windows 10 Education to Windows 10 Home? submitted by /u/Seised [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ia7pua/hi_quick_question_about_windows_10_education/
  6. Quick question about fresh install and bitlocker

Quick question about fresh install and bitlocker: Hi everyone; I just did a fresh install to fix some bluetooth issues I was having. I did a completely fresh install that did not keep any of my old files or settings. Windows installed successfully, and I did log in to my microsoft account as I had planned. After the...
  7. Question about creating a junction before/during Windows installation

Question about creating a junction before/during Windows installation: Hi all. My current preferred drive configuration for my desktop PC uses four drives: C: - Windows, Program Files D: - Games E: - Users directory, virtual machines F: - long-term storage, archives, media files I've been using a very simple answer file to redirect the...
  8. Windows 10 UEFI Installation Questions

Windows 10 UEFI Installation Questions: Hi people, I have some problem with installation Windows 10 UEFI on Samsung 850 EVO SSD. Actually I installed everything only my problem is because I could boot only if in BIOS is set option with Windows Boot Manager P1 Windows Boot Manager Samsung 850 EVO P1 Samsung...
  9. Quick question about a clean install.

Quick question about a clean install.: I've been wanting to do a clean install of windows 10 for a long time. I have windows 10, but I want to reinstall it. I want to start fresh, so I've backed up my files. I just have one question, will I need to reinstall my drivers? Because I have no idea where to find...
  10. Question about Windows 10 UEFI BIOS with Secure Boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about Windows 10 UEFI BIOS with Secure Boot: So, basically if we have a computer that doesn't have a UEFI BIOS with Secure Boot, then we can't upgrade to Windows 10? Am I right or wrong here? 4913

Users found this page by searching for:

1. do i have to uninstall windows before installing in uefi mode