Windows 10: Quick scan takes hours to complete

Discus and support Quick scan takes hours to complete in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; What is going on with quick scan? I ran it yesterday and it took all day to run. Also is there a setting to run automatically. It is set to run... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by BTC55, Jul 17, 2018.

1. BTC55 Win User

Quick scan takes hours to complete

What is going on with quick scan?

I ran it yesterday and it took all day to run.

Also is there a setting to run automatically.

It is set to run real-time so is a scheduled scan unnecessary?

:)

BTC55, Jul 17, 2018
  2. BTC55 Win User

Windows Defender - Quick Scan

Windows defender no longer offers a quick scan option.

My options are:

• Scan
    • Advanced Scan
    • Full Scan
    • Custom Scan
    • Windows Defender Offline scan
    Whichever option I check, the scan will need to run for hours to complete.

Is a quick scan available?

How do I restore this feature?

BTC55, Jul 17, 2018
  3. Windows Defender quick scan fails to complete

When I try to employ a "Quick Scan" procedure in Defender, the scan progress indicator, coloured green, stops half way and does not complete.

The files scanned number continues the count as if it is doing a full scan.

My Windows 10 updates are correct as our the virus definitions etc.

Any suggestions on why the "quick" scan fails to complete?

Thanks

[Original title: Windows 10 Defender]

Tony Lawrence, Jul 17, 2018
  4. Quick scan takes hours to complete

Does Windows Defender Quick scan interrupt Advanced scan?

Before I create a System Image, I run an Advanced scan using Windows Defender, and it typically takes about an hour and the Scan history lists about 4,000,000 files scanned. However, often I see only about 40,000 files scanned, what I get from a Quick scan.

I can think of two explanations that might account for this:

1. The Advanced scan completes, but a Quick scan starts afterwards and wipes out evidence that that the Advanced scan occurred (unless presumably some problem was found).

2. The Advanced scan is interrupted and a Quick scan runs.

Are there other possibilities?

The 2 possibilities listed above are both unsatisfactory because I can tell if an Advanced scan was completed. If an Advanced scan was just completed, there is no reason that a Quick scan should be run automatically.

Mickey Segal, Jul 17, 2018
Thema:

Quick scan takes hours to complete

1. Quick scan takes hours to complete - Similar Threads - Quick scan takes

2. Support Assist Hardware Scan taking hours to complete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Support Assist Hardware Scan taking hours to complete: I have an Inspiron 7375 Windows 10. My laptop was running slow, apps would take long to open, mail app would open only to close on its own, etc. I checked for updates and one driver needed to get installed. After doing so I still ran through the same issues. I went into...
  3. Support Assist Hardware Scan taking hours to complete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Support Assist Hardware Scan taking hours to complete: I have an Inspiron 7375 Windows 10. My laptop was running slow, apps would take long to open, mail app would open only to close on its own, etc. I checked for updates and one driver needed to get installed. After doing so I still ran through the same issues. I went into...
  4. Support Assist Hardware Scan taking Hours to Complete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Support Assist Hardware Scan taking Hours to Complete: I have an Inspiron 7375 Windows 10. My laptop was running slow, apps would take long to open, mail app would open only to close on its own, etc. I checked for updates and one driver needed to get installed. After doing so I still ran through the same issues. I went into...
  5. Support Assist Hardware Scan taking Hours to Complete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Support Assist Hardware Scan taking Hours to Complete: I have an Inspiron 7375 Windows 10. My laptop was running slow, apps would take long to open, mail app would open only to close on its own, etc. I checked for updates and one driver needed to get installed. After doing so I still ran through the same issues. I went into...
  6. Support Assist Hardware Scan taking Hours to Complete

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Quick scan taking too long > 2 hours

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Quick scan taking too long > 2 hours: This has been happening since the last month. I don't know what to do. Help plz. I read previous thread no use. I don't use any other AV rather than default window defender.Its already been 2 hours and counting.....Estimated time is only increasing.............
  8. Defender Quick Scan only takes 20 seconds to complete -- Is it really scanning?

Defender Quick Scan only takes 20 seconds to complete -- Is it really scanning?: I took a backup of a Windows 2012 R2 system. I restored that backup to a directory on a Linux server and exported that backup as a samba share. I mounted the samba share on a Windows 2019 system and ran the following defender command line from a cygwin shell. The command line...
  9. Windows Defender Quick Scan taking over 18.9 hours

Windows Defender Quick Scan taking over 18.9 hours: Hello. I am running a Windows Defender Quick Scan on a desktop PC - 2 SSDs of 128 and 256 gb respectively, and 1tb HDD at ~75% capacity. Still, mods of other posts say a Quick Scan should be ~30minutes. What is wrong here? Thank you, C...
  10. running a scan and it says it is going to take 30 hours to complete

running a scan and it says it is going to take 30 hours to complete: I'm running a full virus scan and the more files it scans the higher the estimated completion time goes. It's now over 30 hours....