Windows 10: Quickbooks 2017 only opens to taskbar?

Discus and support Quickbooks 2017 only opens to taskbar? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This didn't used to be case. I think I know how the problem started but not why. When I installed 2017 I kept 2013 on the machine just in case my wife... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by markg2, Sep 26, 2017.

1. markg2 Win User

Quickbooks 2017 only opens to taskbar?

This didn't used to be case. I think I know how the problem started but not why. When I installed 2017 I kept 2013 on the machine just in case my wife had a problem with the new version. I forgot to uninstall 2013 from months ago. Both versions have their separate data directories. The day before yesterday she tried to open 2017. The program opened a taskbar icon but no screen. She clicked the icon with a resulting error to the effect 'can't open another file is open'. I resolved the problem by uninstalling 2013, deleting the 2017 data directories and files and copying a fresh set of directories and files from her main, desktop machine. The program still 'opens' to the taskbar requiring a click on the icon to open to the screen.

I have right clicked the desktop icon/properties/ (it was normal) I changed to maximum with no effect.

QB menu Preferences/Desktop/changed to ~save size on exit, no effect.

The program still stays as a taskbar icon until clicked.

Any suggestions?

Mark

:)

markg2, Sep 26, 2017

2. Quickbooks

Can't open Quickbooks Pro 2017. It worked fine last week. What do I need to do?

Raft River Ground WaterDistrict, Sep 26, 2017
  3. Quickbooks won't open since windows 10 upgraded

I have windows 10 and Quickbooks Premiere 2018 and after the windows update on 11/28/2017 I can not open Quickbooks under only one users profile on the computer. If I make a new profile it works for that user

Arthur Dye, Sep 26, 2017
  4. Quickbooks 2017 only opens to taskbar?

Hi markg2.

What happens if you navigate all the way down to the quicken exe in the program folders and double click it there. Does it open or just hide on task bar.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Sep 27, 2017
  5. markg2 Win User
    Standby, she has her laptop and it won't be unpacked and docked for a day or two.

markg2, Sep 27, 2017
  6. markg2 Win User
    I opened (not as admin) QBWPremierNonprofit.exe.

The first attempt (this was after turning her Dell on after she had used it last evening) resulted in the same 'file open' error I initially mentioned. Which, to my understanding of computers, can't be since the machine was off? I'm attaching a screen shot of the error.

I checked Task Manager, 1 instance of QB was running and I ended it.

I tried opening the same exe a second time and this time the icon stayed put in the taskbar with no error. However, the program would not respond to the icon.

Then I tried opening it a third time. Although there was no error and it stayed put in the taskbar it took maybe a minute before the icon was active and would respond. Whether it was a minute or longer, the time for the icon to become active was at least twice as long as the second attempt. I had task manager open at the time and noticed that all the loading action was to memory as it should be (I tried a fourth time and there was no delay as with the third attempt).

She has another install of QB for another nonprofit. It's QB 2014. It opens normally as did the 2017 install used to.

There is a difference in how they load and part of this I hadn't realized before with 2017 and will correct my previous account.

Click the desktop icon and after user account verification, 2014 loads the QB password prompt AFTER the blank program opens to the screen. The problematic 2017, after clicking either the icon or exe, opens the icon to the taskbar, click the icon, the QB password prompt appears by itself on the desktop and once the password is entered, then you have to click the icon again and the program opens (most of the time).

I'm beginning to think that the program is maybe corrupted and either I can restore an image before this problem or reinstall the program?

Mark

markg2, Sep 27, 2017
  7. Interesting.

Not sure about running two quickens, or two of anything, like Office, in same Windows account. What I might try is....

Create new user on Windows machine. Load and install the Quicken you don't use as often, say non profit.

In the original users I would uninstall all quickens and then install the quicken I used the most.

Have you tried Quicken support. They sent me an email advertising the help desk and they are there for us.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Sep 27, 2017
  8. markg2 Win User

I posted to the Quickbooks forum which is not Intuit and received no answer after several days.

I really do not think 2 QB is a problem. Only 1 QB is ever running at one time.

More to the point, she's had the 2 on her desktop (differing versions over the years) for over 5 years. She's had both on the laptop for 3 years. 'Something' happened to or with the 2017 QB on the laptop.

Plus, tons of folks on the QB forum run multiple versions (not at the same time).

Did Intuit include a link for their help desk that you could post?

markg2, Sep 27, 2017
  9. Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Quickbooks 2017 only opens to taskbar? - Similar Threads - Quickbooks 2017 opens

2. Windows on Parallels, 2017 Quickbooks Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows on Parallels, 2017 Quickbooks Desktop: I had a computer tech install a licensed Windows partition on my old 2011 MacBook Pro in order to use my 2017 Quickbooks Desktop Pro for Windows software Quickbooks for Mac is worthless. I installed the Quickbooks software with a CD. My old computer finally died so I...
  3. Windows on Parallels, 2017 Quickbooks Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows on Parallels, 2017 Quickbooks Desktop: I had a computer tech install a licensed Windows partition on my old 2011 MacBook Pro in order to use my 2017 Quickbooks Desktop Pro for Windows software Quickbooks for Mac is worthless. I installed the Quickbooks software with a CD. My old computer finally died so I...
  4. I can not open QuickBooks 2019

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can not open QuickBooks 2019: I worked with QuickBooks Pro 2019 but it broke and I can not launch it on my PC now. Can you help guys? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-can-not-open-quickbooks-2019/f4ebc56d-ead6-4ad9-b7dd-e0cc7e2a4381
  5. QuickBooks 2019 doesn’t open

QuickBooks 2019 doesn’t open: QuickBooks Pro 2019 won't open. It worked fine three days ago. Is there an issue with Windows 10? Intuit's tech support can't find the problem. ***Modified title from: Windows 10 and QuickBooks 2019***...
  6. QuickBooks 2017 not working on Windows 10

QuickBooks 2017 not working on Windows 10: When I upgraded to a laptop with Windows 10 installed on it already, I can no longer email from within Quickbooks 2017 Pro. I have tried the clean install for QB, changing my preferences, etc. Nothing works. Very unhappy with Windows 10. What else have I missed if...
  7. Windows 10, QuickBooks 2017 and Outlook 2013

Windows 10, QuickBooks 2017 and Outlook 2013: When I upgraded to a laptop with Windows 10 installed on it already, I can no longer email from within Quickbooks 2017 Pro. I have tried the clean install for QB, changing my preferences, etc. Nothing works. Very unhappy with Windows 10. What else have I missed if...
  8. Quickbook

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Quickbook: I'm receiving a runtime error message showing abnormal program termination. I am using Windows 10 64-bit. The program is Quickbook 2016 . It was working fine yesterday, bur after booting the computer this morning, the error message appeared when I tried to open the program....
  9. Quickbooks

Quickbooks: What could be the cause of the error Windows can't find your program files? All Quick Books programs won't open, Intuit has no clue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/quickbooks/700c2f6e-766a-43eb-b16d-133409bf435c
  10. Quickbooks 18 not opening properly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Quickbooks 18 not opening properly: I am able to log into the program as I normally do, but once in I cannot do anything. It freezes and won't allow me to click on file or even close out the program for that matter. I have to go the task manager. This began after using the program on the same computer for...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. quickbooks opens minimized

2. quickbooks 2017 opens minimized

3. why does quickbooks open in the task bar

4. quickbooks partically opens task bar only,
  5. quickbooks only opens in the taskbar,
  6. quickbooks taskbar,
  7. quickbooks only opens to taskbar,
  8. quickbooks opens on the taskbar but wont open