Windows 10: Quicktime Codec Security

Discus and support Quicktime Codec Security in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I uninstalled Quicktime due to security advice on this forum. I now find some old photo programs will not start since they cannot find Quicktime. I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Steve C, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Steve C Win User

Quicktime Codec Security

I uninstalled Quicktime due to security advice on this forum.

I now find some old photo programs will not start since they cannot find Quicktime. I found one work around is to install the latest version of Quicktime but not to install the Quicktime Player - see the install options below. This should only install the Quicktime codecs. Is it 'safe' just to have the Quicktime codecs installed without the player?

Quicktime Codec Security [​IMG]

:)

Steve C, Sep 3, 2016
  2. migget Win User

pc suite>view mutlimedia//crashing//stops responding /

This might be codec problem. PC Suite's multimedia applications uses at least QuickTime codecs. Make sure that you have the latest codecs. At least install latest QuickTime.

migget, Sep 3, 2016
  3. bitflung Win User
    Best Codec?

quicktime pro can accept a great deal of plugins for new codecs. like most media players / transcoders the application is modular and without at least one add-on it cant even decode a native quicktime file. quicktime on the mac comes with a lot of codecs,
    as it is the local default media player, analogous to windows media player. you should be able to install new codecs in quicktime pro even on windows, though it might only come with a few apple specific ones. these apple specific codecs should include an h.264
    codec, since this is what iTunes, iPod, iWhateverComesNext uses. this is also the default codec for the n-series phones when they record video, presumably this is the codec of choice.

i dont use quicktime pro to transcode myself - mostly because i am starting from DVD's and it is more efficient to go straight from dvd to h.264 by using the Handbrake application (born in BeOS, ported to MacOSX and it currently a command line app in Windows
    and Linux)

bitflung, Sep 3, 2016
  4. swarfega Win User

Quicktime Codec Security

Might be time to finally ditch those old programs for modern ones. What programs are they so we can help find you alternatives.

I refuse to have quicktime on my system.

swarfega, Sep 3, 2016
  5. Steve C Win User
    I can probably live without the old photo programs.

Is just having the Quicktime codecs a security risk and, if so, why?

Steve C, Sep 3, 2016
  6. klcp Win User
    No, the settings you have selected are safe. The only risk is when using the browser plugin, or when opening a maliciously crafted file.

klcp, Sep 3, 2016
  7. Steve C Win User
    Thanks. I've installed Quicktime without the player and the legacy programs now work.

Steve C, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Quicktime Codec Security

1. Quicktime Codec Security - Similar Threads - Quicktime Codec Security

2. game with quicktime not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    game with quicktime not working: i am trying to play an old game came out in 1996 or 1997 but it says it needs quicktime version 2.1.2 so I installed it but it says My PC does not have quicktime...
  3. game with quicktime not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    game with quicktime not working: i am trying to play an old game came out in 1996 or 1997 but it says it needs quicktime version 2.1.2 so I installed it but it says My PC does not have quicktime...
  4. Equivalent of Quicktime for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Equivalent of Quicktime for Windows 10: HiI need to video myself on a conference call and I have no idea how to do this. A friend suggested quicktime but I thought this was an Apple product? WHat is the best version for Windows 10? Thanks in advance* Moved from Community Participation Center...
  5. Equivalent of Quicktime for Windows 10

Equivalent of Quicktime for Windows 10: HiI need to video myself on a conference call and I have no idea how to do this. A friend suggested quicktime but I thought this was an Apple product? WHat is the best version for Windows 10? Thanks in advance* Moved from Community Participation Center...
  6. quicktime replacement?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    quicktime replacement?: I have some ancient Rosetta Stone CD-ROMS. The application requires Quicktime I think tries to download when I put application cd in and there is a quicktime icon on the cd. I hear from Rosetta that the CD may only work with Windows98 or WindowsXP. I have Windows 10 I...
  7. codecs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    codecs: I cannot play some of my music that I could play previously. There appears to be a problem with the Codec's https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/codecs/36cefba5-ab6b-494e-a915-19552825b4c6
  8. Quicktime

Quicktime: Hi there again. I am battling to find and install quicktime for Win 10 64bit. I have a .mov file I would like to watch, The picture is clear but it has no sound? Anyone out there with advice or better still a working link to get what I need? Would appreciate any...
  9. How to install quicktime codecs on Windows 10

How to install quicktime codecs on Windows 10: I'm using Adobe After Effects CC and I'm not able to render in h.264 for example because the codecs usually coming with quicktime are missing. The quicktime alternative doesn't work on windows 10 and when I installed the official quicktime the error message that quicktime is...
  10. Program Needs Quicktime?

Program Needs Quicktime?: I uninstalled Quicktime due to security advice on this forum. I have an old Olympus photo program Camedia Master which I sometimes use. This used to work fine in W10 but now it won't start since it requires to 'see' Quicktime when it starts. Is there a registry fix or...